• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

High School Trumpet Advice

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bl2407 wrote:
Thanks for the quick responses. She takes private lessons and her teacher suggested a Xeno or Bach 37 and also mentioned a TR200 for a budget option. I've never played trumpet so researching all of the models can be overwhelming. I'm leaning toward Yamaha and just need to decide between the 5335 and Xeno. She's loves the trumpet so I just want her to have something she loves to play and also gives her confidence.

Thanks agin.

I'd get a 200AD before I'd get a TR200 just sayin' (I just got a used 200AD which is a Yamaha of course and think it's great)
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you should ever assume that a teacher automatically knows or otherwise can identify the best trumpet for a particular student. A teacher may be in a better position to identify a piece of junk but most name brand trumpets aren't junk. So, you rapidly get to a point at which the trumpet works the way a trumpet is supposed to work and will do everything the student needs it to do in order for the student to advance.

A great player will sound great on any decent trumpet in good working condition. Where a developing and learning student is concerned far too much emphasis is placed on which horn is being played. I have 50 or so horns in my collection. They all work, they all play and I sound like me on all of them. None of them negate my ability to employ the fundamentals of playing trumpet.
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
I don't think you should ever assume that a teacher automatically knows or otherwise can identify the best trumpet for a particular student. A teacher may be in a better position to identify a piece of junk but most name brand trumpets aren't junk. So, you rapidly get to a point at which the trumpet works the way a trumpet is supposed to work and will do everything the student needs it to do in order for the student to advance.

A great player will sound great on any decent trumpet in good working condition. Where a developing and learning student is concerned far too much emphasis is placed on which horn is being played. I have 50 or so horns in my collection. They all work, they all play and I sound like me on all of them. None of them negate my ability to employ the fundamentals of playing trumpet.

Totally agree. But the point isn't to find out how well it sounds when the teacher plays it per se, but to screen for the "dud Strad" of fame and fable. Which is the same thing, I think. And to do a comparison to her current horn, and say "yes, this is what I mean by an upgrade" and then use that to also teach her how to tell those differences.
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
'40 Olds Special Cornet, Military Issued
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at the list of trumpets most people have and you will see the process isn't simple. Many of the people here, who have tons of experience, will buy a horn after trying it, then will later decide it is not the holy grail they were hoping for. So on they go, buying one after another still looking for the ultimate.

My advice is to go for the one that works for now. It may work forever. But trying to find the perfect one leads down a path that may drive you crazy.

That being said, I can sell you a late Conn 22B that is so easy to play, has very good intonation, fine valves, easy to use tuning slide and in every way a very workable trumpet. It is dirt cheap as it is considered a student trumpet. I could play it anywhere and any time and it would work.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
austincustombrass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please feel free to call us at 816-410-0826 anytime. We have over 500 trumpets in stock right now and we are sure to have something that would fit you. We also have a return policy in case it doesn't!

-ACB

It's a shame how far this forum has fallen. If you need us call 816-410-0826 or email.

Cool Links here:
https://linktr.ee/austincustombrass
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
harryjamesworstnightmare wrote:
Bach is not all it used to be. They have been inconsistent so I'd recommend she try several brands.

Then Bach must be really bad since this has been repeated over and over during the fifteen years I have been on here.

Based on my recent reading Bachs have been improving since Ted Waggoner took over. And there are many glowing reports about recent instruments.

But if you are buying used you will probably not run into a recent one at a good price.

One other thing to remember is that almost any horn being sold used is due to the owner finding it no longer works for them. Or not as well as some newer horn. Thus, in my opinion, the gems in any model are less likely to be on the market.

True, regarding the last paragraph, but a horn can also be for sale, especially Bach and Yamaha, because it was bought for a kid who quit playing. Being owned by a student previously can bring an entire set of abuse/neglect problems, so again, if the OP can get some assistance from a TRUMPET teacher or trusted competent player in the selection process it would be well worth it.

Brad
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't the Zeno's fairly heavy horns? I have only played one, and I recall its being fairly heavy. If so, they might not be the best for a first year high school player to hold and use. I think that considerations like weight are important for young players. A lighter horn might be more pleasant to play at that age.

If your daughter cannot tell the difference in the horns, she might be OK just keeping her current horn.

The step-up Yamahas are good consistent trumpets. I played a 4335 GS for a long time (nice sound, but perhaps a little on the heavy side) and the 5335 you mentioned would be fine too. You can also find 6335 horns around at a good price, and they have a reasonable weight. I keep one as my outdoor/"dangerous" situation horn when I do not want to risk my favorite horn. It is a very serviceable instrument.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:06 pm    Post subject: Getzen 700 Eterna trumpet Reply with quote

You have many choices, as long as the band director doesn't limit students to certain brands or models. I would suggest you consider buying a Getzen 700 Eterna trumpet (older version of Getzen 700 II trumpet). Excellent intermediate horn and used prices are reasonable.

Recently sold a Yamaha 431 T trumpet that didn't suit me and bought a Getzen 700 Eterna.

Love this horn. Very bright sound. Not mouthpiece specific, as many of my previous trumpets were.

Only thing I don't like is the 3rd slide adjustable ring. But that is easily fixed. Does come with Amado water keys.

I would call Trent Austin and have your daughter talk to him about what she wants in a trumpet.
Yamaha 11 e4 cornet mouthpiece
Yamaha 9e cornet mouthpiece
Bach 5 B cornet mouthpiece
evilpulse8

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good player will make any trumpet sound good, I always preferred buying a pre owned professional horn as apposed to buying a new intermediate or student horn. I started with a Bach TR300,King 601 and an eastman 520s in high school before getting a strad 37 for college, the king was too much of a tin can and sounded like a kazoo above the staff. But every duplicate instrument is different. Best thing is for her to go out and try horns and go with someone knowledgeable. For marching band it shouldn't matter what she is using, for concert it should. Sometimes directors ask parents to buy horns so they all have matching lacquer or silver horns on the field.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Getzen 700 Eterna trumpet Reply with quote

jondrowjf@gmail.com wrote:
I would call Trent Austin and have your daughter talk to him about what she wants in a trumpet.

Seriously? Trent isn't going to have even the slightest clue of how this girl plays the trumpet and, particularly, how it feels to her to play the trumpet. Do you really expect her to explain in any real detail "what she wants in a trumpet." Other than cosmetics, what do you want in a trumpet that couldn't be provided by any decent horn in good working condition?

No trumpet, in and of itself, is going to make this girl a better player. She has to become a better player on the basis of how hard and how smart she works at it. These discussions of "what's the best horn for a ninth grader" are, to me, silly. Any decent trumpet in good working condition will be fine. No matter what it is she will adapt to it and it will not "hold her back" (the idea that a decent horn in good working condition is "holding anyone back" is another ridiculous concept).
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bl2407 in South Carolina,

Retired band director here. I suggest keeping the King trumpet and using it for marching band. Do not use an expensive pro grade trumpet for high school marching band- college marching band game day, yes, but high school marching, no. Frequent accidental damage occurs when students leave their instruments on the bleachers unattended. (My retirement job is at a music store repair shop so I see this happen season after season.)

It is wise to buy your daughter a nice trumpet now so she can enjoy playing it all four years of high school concert band, jazz band, and solo & ensemble. It sounds like she takes pride in her music and the pro trumpet will be a wonderful lifetime gift. You can't go wrong with a Yamaha Xeno 8335 or a Bach Strad 37.

I commend you on being such a supportive parent!
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
bl2407

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks plankowner110. My daughter says most of her trumpet section are using pro trumpets in marching band and just taking good care of them--we'll see if that's true. I agree that an expensive pro trumpet is a bit much for a high school marching band. There is a Xeno for sale right for a good price because it has a dent where a color guard flag hit it; accidents will happen.

I just had her King serviced (stuck tuning slide and broken brace), so it's in good working order for marching band. I'll keep looking and hopefully find a nice upgrade for her when she starts concert band.

Thanks again to everyone for the support!
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I just had her King serviced (stuck tuning slide and broken brace), so it's in good working order for marching band. I'll keep looking and hopefully find a nice upgrade for her when she starts concert band.

How does the tuning slide get stuck on an instrument that's played all the time? I had a concert yesterday playing third horn in a community band. I noticed every time the second horn played a note with the first valve, it was way out of tune. At the intermission I pulled out the tuner and asked her to play a B flat. Way sharp. She asked which valve slide on the double horn was the right one. And then it didn't want to move.

For those of you who don't know, a double french horn has tuning slides for both the F and Bb sides. Plus then you tune all six valves individually. Fun stuff and why trumpet can be so much easier to play.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Richard III"]
Quote:
a double french horn has tuning slides for both the F and Bb sides. Plus then you tune all six valves individually.

And I thought that the TRUMPET was a pain in the butt!!
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Getzen 700 Eterna trumpet Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
jondrowjf@gmail.com wrote:

Seriously? Trent isn't going to have even the slightest clue of how this girl plays the trumpet and, particularly, how it feels to her to play the trumpet. Do you really expect her to explain in any real detail "what she wants in a trumpet." Other than cosmetics, what do you want in a trumpet that couldn't be provided by any decent horn in good working condition?

No trumpet, in and of itself, is going to make this girl a better player. She has to become a better player on the basis of how hard and how smart she works at it. These discussions of "what's the best horn for a ninth grader" are, to me, silly. Any decent trumpet in good working condition will be fine. No matter what it is she will adapt to it and it will not "hold her back" (the idea that a decent horn in good working condition is "holding anyone back" is another ridiculous concept).

+1.

I have also recommended Trent as a good resource, but very very high school players have any clue as to what they need. They WANT probably silver plated, beyond that they’re pretty much guessing.

It would be great if parents realized that they cannot buy their kids a horn that will make becoming an accomplished player “easier”, as long as the horn they have is mechanically sound, money should first be invested in lessons. That being said, if a parent wants to get their kid a pro horn in part as an incentive to PRACTICE, if that works, and they are already taking lessons, I have no problem with that. But unfortunately sometimes local music stores will lead parents to believe that their student NEEDS a pro horn in order to progress and be competitive. Obviously not true. Every year I have a few parents ask me if their second year player (SECOND YEAR!!) needs to “upgrade” to a pro horn, the above is exactly what I tell them.

Brad
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:53 am    Post subject: Played horn Reply with quote

Does you daughter have any friends in the band, that would let her play their professional horn? Just to see how it feels or sound.

How far are you from Charleston, Columbia or any major city in South Carolina or North Carolina? Might be fun to take a trip and check out different music stores.

Where is the nearest college or university near you with a music program?

I lived in Kingstree, South Carolina for two years in the mid 1980s. Still miss the excellent seafood.
Yamaha 11 e4 cornet mouthpiece
Yamaha 9e cornet mouthpiece
Bach 5 B cornet mouthpiece
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:

For those of you who don't know, a double french horn has tuning slides for both the F and Bb sides. Plus then you tune all six valves individually. Fun stuff and why trumpet can be so much easier to play.

I had to research Horns to understand this. Now I greatly appreciate the "simplicity" of trumpet mechanics.

As someone who took years to upgrade to a pro horn, I can attest to the fact that you can go a long way on student and intermediate horns. For me, at least, I eventually discovered the limitations of the horns I was playing before thinking about a pro horn. Since I only played music within those limitations for many years, it really did not matter. Once I started pushing beyond those limitations, I felt I needed something different. I had to play a lot of trumpets to find it. Once I found pro horns that I liked, I found that they were a great improvement and helpful in allowing me to go further with my improvement. Still plenty of room for more, of course. However, I doubt that I would have had this appreciation before discovering the limits of the horns I was playing.

I assume that a really advanced young player could discover limitations and really benefit from a pro trumpet. I wonder about the benefits if a player has not hit the limits of his or her instrument. As long as the student or intermediate horn is a good one, not a piece of junk that the player has to fight, I wonder if it might not be best to stick with it as long as factors that others have mentioned, such as ridicule, teacher's preferences, matching sound in the section, etc. do not come into play.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
freimers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:44 am    Post subject: they need to love it Reply with quote

I think your daughter needs to find 'her' trumpet, an instrument that she loves, cares for and wants to spend time with. That's what Trent Austin could help her with and ensure that she's getting a good playing horn. Even my 20 year old son named his first 'used' car. He cleans, polishes and cares for it better than anything he's ever owned. It's his, he chose it, it's personal, loves the color, feel, everything about it. Is a used Jetta technically better/worse than a Civic? Who cares as long as you love driving it.

There are so many good used horns out there that are as good as new. If a store like Austin or Dillon isn't close by, I'd invest some of my time to look online with them and send them to a store where they can try horns out and choose for themselves. Shopping is fun, there's no rush! Sticking to M or ML intermediate to pro level horns with decent resistance and a 7C should do it. If at all possible, have a good player test it out for you when you get it to make sure it plays. Like taking a used car to your mechanic. Even Reverb has a 14 day return policy on most sales.

IMHO, at the end of the day, if she doesn't love it, she's not going to play it.
Getzen 4-Valve Flugelhorn
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: they need to love it Reply with quote

freimers wrote:
There are so many good used horns out there that are as good as new. If a store like Austin or Dillon isn't close by, I'd invest some of my time to look online with them and send them to a store where they can try horns out and choose for themselves.

Closest top-tier shop to the OP is Rich Ita's Brass Instrument Workshop in Marietta GA (1822 Lower Roswell Rd.).

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several threads of information being given, that can be both legit, or bogus.

1) Does a student horn hold someone back/does a pro horn facilitate their development.

Yes and yes, no and no. It depends on the student and where they are in their journey. There are some students that will absolutely develop further with a different instrument, if they are ready to be able to play past the differences. For most students that is too subtle for them to recognize, for others those differences can be epiphanic.

Whether the teacher is actually able to help the student capitalize on the growth opportunity also figures in. Or is the teacher just following a formula ?

2) Marching band instruments should be something disposable because it may be subject to damage and the sound doesn't matter.

Again, true and false. Instruments in the field are certainly exposed to risks not necessarily present in concert band settings. Is that manageable and is it possible to keep a good horn safe ? Yes. Does it take more awareness ? Yes. Can something bad happen anyway ? Yes.

Does the sound matter ? In many marching band settings ? No not really. In some ? Absolutely. Very competitive marching band programs are a different animal than taking the concert band kids, dressing them funny and having them fumble around the stadium. Top drum corps are marching Xenos, and new ones every year, at that. I've seen 8335's and 8345's in use. Because it matters in those settings. These corps typically buy a whole new line every year or two, so you can score a Xeno for around $1500, used for one season with no dents (at least nothing major or more than a pencil point ding) and no scratches that you can't polish out in half an hour which your own student will put back in the normal course of handling.
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
'40 Olds Special Cornet, Military Issued
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: