• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Getting a professional horn

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AkshayB

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Getting a professional horn Reply with quote

2 weeks ago my private teacher advised me to upgrade to a professional trumpet. I immediately started doing research on the 'best' professional horns. I then narrowed it down to 2, you guessed it, the Bach Stradivarius 180S37 AND the Yamaha YTR-8335RG Xeno. I've read that the Yamaha's are more consistent, but if you find a good Bach then it will play extraordinarily well. I am buying used and I cannot playtest. So if I couldn't playtest which one do you think I should go for?

I would really appreciate your honest opinion!
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: Youtube videos Reply with quote

Have you looked at any Youtube videos on these trumpets? Are you buying from Craigslist, Ebay, music store or a private seller?

What trumpet does your teacher recommended? Are you playing in a band? What type of music do you play? Is there a good repair shop near you?

Why did you choose those two instruments?
Getzen 4 B short shank mouthpiece
Yamaha 11 e short shank mouthpiece
Vincent Bach 5 B short shank mouthpiece
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, buying ANY used horn without any play test at all is a crapshoot. I would HIGHLY recommend people like Trent Austin, Austin Custom Brass, or Dillon Music for a used horn, I’m fairly sure they both have a reasonable return policy. If you buy from a private seller with no return option, you might get lucky, or you might not.....Yamaha, Bach or anything else. And unless you’re prepared to possibly invest more money to correct potential problems, I would be really careful.

Brad
AkshayB

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer all your questions,

I have looked at youtube videos of these instruments and heard how they sound. To me, they sound the same but I think I would need to play myself to hear the difference (unfortunately I can't). I am buying from Reverb.com in which a company I saw has both the trumpets. in which I can also return them. Im, looking for. My teacher recommends a strad but I'm just afraid Ill get a "bad" since I'm getting it used. I am playing in a band and mostly play classical, no jazz. There is a Music and Arts near me in which I could repair it. I chose there 2 instruments from research on the internet. People say that these 2 instruments are the go-to for a professional trumpet player. I've also seen many professionals use these horns.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd ask your teacher 'what will be enhanced?' by moving to a better horn.

Are there any particular problems with the horn you're using now? Does your teacher think it has some drawbacks to your ability to perform and improve?

Have you play-tested some other horns and found that any that improve your performance?

The Bach and Yamaha you mention are both good quality 'middle of the road' pro horn that would likely work well.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience players often strongly prefer either Bach or Yamaha. I would find horns to try to see if you fall in one camp or the other, or if you don't really have a strong preference.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AkshayB wrote:
To answer all your questions,

I have looked at youtube videos of these instruments and heard how they sound. To me, they sound the same but I think I would need to play myself to hear the difference (unfortunately I can't). I am buying from Reverb.com in which a company I saw has both the trumpets. in which I can also return them. Im, looking for. My teacher recommends a strad but I'm just afraid Ill get a "bad" since I'm getting it used. I am playing in a band and mostly play classical, no jazz. There is a Music and Arts near me in which I could repair it. I chose there 2 instruments from research on the internet. People say that these 2 instruments are the go-to for a professional trumpet player. I've also seen many professionals use these horns.

If you’re certain that the Reverb seller will accept a return, you should be ok. As far as those being “go to pro horns”, maybe. Yes, either of them are fine pro trumpets, but if you’re under the impression that a majority of pros play Bach or Yamaha, that’s inaccurate. There are MANY MANY great horns out there, new and/or used, Schilke, Benge, Kanstul, Getzen, Conn, Olds, Lawler, Blackburn, Besson.....the list goes ON. And what exactly is a “professional player?” Lots of us here play professionally, that really doesn’t mean all that much. Because, for example, anyone here doesn’t happen to play Bach or Yamaha means basically nothing. And not to disparage Music and Arts, but you easily could have a problem with a horn that’s beyond their expertise to correct. You might have a local store with a skilled brass tech, or you might not.

Personally, I would not be especially concerned with getting a “bad” Bach, but ANY used horn can have it’s share of problems. Again, if there’s a valid return policy, and you factor in shipping costs/risks, you should be ok with Bach or Yamaha, or one of the other horns mentioned.

Brad
AkshayB

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, thank you for all of your replies! It means so much to me. The thing I love about the trumpet herald is that there are so many people who will give amazing feedback to any post.

I am only in the 8th grade, and my teacher wants me to get an advanced trumpet because he said that my student model has many limitations and if I can get a professional horn I can perform much better. Right now I'm just looking for a horn that will serve me well through high school and maybe college. I know that Bach and Yamaha are not the only good brands out there but I just think they are the most reliable.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been very consistent on this point over the years: If you're going to own only one pro level trumpet then the one to own is the Bach Strad Model 37. It's the largest selling pro horn out there and if you pay a fair price for a used one you'll be able to sell it for what you have invested in it. A Xeno is an excellent horn but the safest bet overall is a Bach Strad Model 37.

There has been a lot of comment about "bad" Bach Strads. Personally, I think it's nonsense/grossly overstated. A great player will sound great on any Bach Strad in good working order.

I own four Bach Strads: Two Mt. Vernon Model 37's, an Elkhart Model 72* and an Elkhart Model 25. These horns are part of a collection of about 50 horns. I've never been a Bach player (I've been primarily a Benge player over the past 53 years) but I would be comfortable performing on any of my Bach Strads. The reason I don't perform on any of them is because I have other instruments designed for what I do (improvisational jazz soloist) such as a 1953 Martin Committee Deluxe Large Bore and an Adams A8. I rarely play my Benge trumpets any more either (and they are awesome instruments) because I have the Martin and the Adams. My Bach trumpets and my Benge trumpets would be fine for what I do but the Martin and the Adams are more specialized in the direction of what I do.

If you have a return option then you can try out a Bach Strad Model 37 without risk so that's a safe option to explore.
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you have both sent to you? Keep the one you like better and send the other back.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Reverb seller will give you a trial period with return, I see no problem, but I really believe you should try any horn before you commit, unless you know the horn already or are buying it because you want to give it a try and the money is not a big deal. (You are just adding it to the collection like many on this forum.) None of these seem to be the case.

Everybody is different. The accepted "standard trumpet" for what you do may not apply to you.

I would ask the seller to give you trial periods with each of the horns or both of the.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AkshayB wrote:
I am only in the 8th grade, and my teacher wants me to get an advanced trumpet because he said that my student model has many limitations and if I can get a professional horn I can perform much better. Right now I'm just looking for a horn that will serve me well through high school and maybe college. I know that Bach and Yamaha are not the only good brands out there but I just think they are the most reliable.

--------------------------------------------
Since you seem certain to continue playing thru school, getting a pro level horn now is a reasonable course. But do KEEP and USE your student horn for marching events and other situations where you cannot really safeguard the pro horn.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AkshayB wrote:

I am only in the 8th grade, and my teacher wants me to get an advanced trumpet because he said that my student model has many limitations and if I can get a professional horn I can perform much better.

Since your teacher knows your direction and what you currently play, he/she can probably guide you in the right direction for a step-up horn. Still, I would play those horns if at all possible. As you are anticipating, your tastes may change and your musical direction may change over time, so the horn you buy now may not be a permanent solution. But you do want to get something that you enjoy playing. You will practice more and be more inspired if you just enjoy picking up the horn.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
I've been very consistent on this point over the years: If you're going to own only one pro level trumpet then the one to own is the Bach Strad Model 37. It's the largest selling pro horn out there and if you pay a fair price for a used one you'll be able to sell it for what you have invested in it. A Xeno is an excellent horn but the safest bet overall is a Bach Strad Model 37.

There has been a lot of comment about "bad" Bach Strads. Personally, I think it's nonsense/grossly overstated. A great player will sound great on any Bach Strad in good working order.

If you have a return option then you can try out a Bach Strad Model 37 without risk so that's a safe option to explore.

+1, not only the largest selling, but the most copied... I've owned and played many of the other popular makes and models for long stretches of time... there's nothing quite like a Bach on stage, in the hall.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
HERMOKIWI wrote:

+1, not only the largest selling, but the most copied... I've owned and played many of the other popular makes and models for long stretches of time... there's nothing quite like a Bach on stage, in the hall.

Absolutely no disrespect intended, but I disagree.
Yes, a Bach 37 is an extremely popular horn for good reason, but a blanket statement like “If you're going to own only one pro level trumpet then the one to own is the Bach Strad Model 37” is not necessarily accurate for many players. Again, I am in no way criticizing the venerable 37, but there are far too many others fine horns out there that work as well or better FOR INDIVIDUAL PLAYERS. We’re not all the same. we don’t all look for the same things in a trumpet. I certainly would not tell anyone that my personal horn preferences are absolutes, I don’t think making the same statement about a 37 is any more valid.

YES, Bach makes great instruments, but so do many many other companies.

Brad
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to supplement that by saying, when I was in school, I never got along with Bachs. I chose other brands to better feel and results.

Personally, I went to a Connstellation and, later, to a Severinsen. Times change, but there actually seem to be more and effective choices.

I'm not sure, though, that Brad doesn't imply that's the only choice, but the best choice based on expectations.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
I have to supplement that by saying, when I was in school, I never got along with Bachs. I chose other brands to better feel and results.

Personally, I went to a Connstellation and, later, to a Severinsen. Times change, but there actually seem to be more and effective choices.

I'm not sure, though, that Brad doesn't imply that's the only choice, but the best choice based on expectations.

What I’m saying is that although a Bach might be a very good choice for many, I think saying if you could only have one Bb it should be a Bach is not necessarily correct, not for everyone, anyway. Right now I’m on my way to a gig in which I think my WT is the best choice...for me....but I certainly would not say it’s the best choice for everyone. I wonder how many people would have a problem with me or anyone else saying “if you could only have one Bb it should be a Wild Thing”....or a Benge, or an Olds, or...... .
I just don’t believe horn choice is universal.
Would I tell a student that a Bach is probably a good choice? Sure, chances are it would be. Probably.

Brad
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to wait and see what develops with the Flip Oakes Fusion line of trumpets. They're not on the market yet, but there should be some news about them in the next few weeks or so. As far as when exactly, we're just hanging tight because Flip just returned home from bypass surgery.
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Bach 7C mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece
www.jazzscales.org
The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JetJaguar wrote:
You might want to wait and see what develops with the Flip Oakes Fusion line of trumpets. They're not on the market yet, but there should be some news about them in the next few weeks or so. As far as when exactly, we're just hanging tight because Flip just returned home from bypass surgery.

Aren't Flip Oaks built by Kanstul and therefore rather tenable, at this point?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
JetJaguar wrote:

Aren't Flip Oaks built by Kanstul and therefore rather tenable, at this point?

Tenable - able to be maintained or defended against attack or objection.

Not sure what you meant, but, no, the fusion horns are new and “They are Flip Oakes' designs built off-shore” according to this thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: