• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Curry L 3 trumpet mouthpiec

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:06 pm    Post subject: Curry L 3 trumpet mouthpiec Reply with quote

Has anyone used this mouthpiece? Waiting on the Curry L 3 trumpet mouthpiece I bought from ebay. Wasn't able to find any information on this mouthpiece. Waiting on answer from the Curry company.

Last edited by jondrowjf@gmail.com on Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:12 am; edited 1 time in total
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An unknown Curry marking to me.. will be interested to see what you get

I thought I had all of the Curry 3 series, and don't see that on his website (granted, it hasn't changed in a long time)
Retired Air Force Bandsman
ProAm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flip Oakes, whose mouthpieces are made by Curry, has a 3L model. Perhaps this is one of those?

From Oakes’ website:

Flip Oakes Model “L” Bb trumpet mouthpieces with shallow lead mouthpiece cup, #26 bore, large backbore. This is a very versatile mouthpiece. Though it’s shallow, it gets a big, bright, open sound, and can be used for all types of playing.

Edit - I see the ebay auction. It is marked as a Curry piece, L3. Hmmmm... interesting.
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:12 pm    Post subject: mouthpiece Reply with quote

Thanks ProAm. Possibly was mislabeled.

I looked at the Flip Oakes website. The Flip Oakes 3 L mouthpiece sells for
$ 95.00.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: mouthpiece Reply with quote

jondrowjf@gmail.com wrote:
Thanks ProAm. Possibly was mislabeled.

I looked at the Flip Oakes website. The Flip Oakes 3 L mouthpiece sells for
$ 95.00.

I have one. Mine has the #5 rim. There are a few things I really like about it.

1) I have no trouble with bottoming out in the cup. Before Flip offered the L series, I used a Kanstul CG3. I had trouble with it when I played three contemporary worship services on a Sunday morning. I could get through about 1-1/2 sessions and then would tire and start bottoming out, which made playing very haphazard. The L series cured that problem.

2) It has a rich hearty tone. It's not the typical "laser beam" lead piece with a narrow back bore. It has the same open back bore as the other recent Bb mouthpieces Flip has released, but still gives the player a brilliant lead sound with great access to one's upper range.

I used to use it in our traditional church services, too. It would allow me to easily (and quietly) play the 1st trumpet part without burying the few other, less confident players in the ensemble. The symphonic style back bore gave it a nice sound that was suitable for hymns and such.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
chapahi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: mouthpiece Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:

1) I have no trouble with bottoming out in the cup. Before Flip offered the L series, I used a Kanstul CG3. I had trouble with it when I played three contemporary worship services on a Sunday morning. I could get through about 1-1/2 sessions and then would tire and start bottoming out, which made playing very haphazard. The L series cured that problem.

Why do you think you bottomed out on the CG3 but not the Curry L series as the the L series is by far the shallower of the two? Just curious...
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: mouthpiece Reply with quote

chapahi wrote:
shofarguy wrote:

Why do you think you bottomed out on the CG3 but not the Curry L series as the the L series is by far the shallower of the two? Just curious...

The cup depth is not so different. What is very different is what GR calls the Alpha Angle, which denotes the sides of the cup below the rim. The 5-L is near vertical, while the CG3 is very sloped. I would bottom out on the sides of the CG3 cup as my lips tired. No such thing happened with the FO 5-L.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: