• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

My new find: Roth-Reynolds Model 300 Trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brassman19
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject: My new find: Roth-Reynolds Model 300 Trumpet Reply with quote

Can anyone out there tell me what sort of quality and how well-playing of a horn is a Roth-Reynolds Model 300 trumpet? I just won the bid online at what I believe is a good deal (less than $50) for one made in 1959 (without the unusual leadpipe/turning slide receiver brace the older ones had) which is in pretty nice overall condition, including its original finish. I have read that most of the Roth-Reynolds trumpets were very well made, and were/are also good-playing horns, at least prior to being bought out by Norlin/Olds. I plan to keep this one for myself and play it (along with my other horns), as long as it is of good quality, and plays with a nice tone and more of a pro feel.
Brassman19
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I received my Roth-Reynolds trumpet, and now have it all cleaned inside and out, everything loosened up and working well (except the main tuning slide, which is still stuck [I'm still putting the penetrating oil to it, and hopefully will get it soon], plus need to replace all its valves' inner and outer felt pad). She may not be the prettiest girl at the dance, but boy can she SING!

Actually, its original lacquer finish is toned to a beautiful, deep goldish-brown color, and is about 80% complete, but it also has some spots on it that are blemished, tarnished, etc.

It really is a PLAYER too. It has a very full, broad, rich and open tone and feel, including up into my higher range, making it much easier to play there than with all my other horns. It may have been marketed originally as a student horn by Reynolds, but it can definitely hold its own, and even better than my pro trumpets. I so far really LOVE playing this horn (now, if I can just get its main tuning slide free).

I would recommend this trumpet to anybody. It is WAY under -rated and -appreciated, in my opinion.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original Roth 300 trumpet was made by the Ohio Band Instrument Company prior to WWII - which was like the Reynolds company, a partnership of Foster Reynolds, Harper Reynolds and Max Scherl. In 1946 the brothers sold their companies to Scherl & Roth, and the 300 continued as a Roth-Reynolds model, but without input from Reynolds. It was originally created for the student market, though another Roth labeled OBIC model was promoted by Charlie Shavers in his (very) younger years. The Roth trumpets never really focused in on a target market the way the Regent brand did - probably due to being a tad above the norm for student models even though they had been created by a student horn company.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: