• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach Valve Blocks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBTP

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:53 pm    Post subject: Bach Valve Blocks Reply with quote

Hello Everyone!! I have an interesting one this time. I have the opportunity to "Build" a horn per se. I've been offered the valve block off a bach 180 37 (The bell was damaged beyond repair). Here is where it gets interesting. My question is, can I take that valve block which is in perfect condition and put an LT 72 bell and a 43 lead pipe on it, in essence "building" a bach LT180 72*/43. Does anyone have any experience with this type of repair/modification? What are your opinions? I would have the work done by a professional/competent repair person who would take care to do it right. Is the only thing that changes with the bach trumpets is the bells or do the LT model also have a different block?
JoeLoeffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would be making a 180 72*/43.

The LT horns are made with lighter weight (thinner wall) slide tubes. LT horns are also made with brass outside tubes. Traditionally, standard 180 bodies have nickel outside tubes (except for the silver-plated horns after a certain point...)

Other than making sure that the appropriate tube fits are maintained, what you want to do should be no problem for someone who knows what they are doing.
MrOlds
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did exactly this years ago. Got a regular weight valve block from a pawnshop. Added a 72* bell and a regular weight 43 leadpipe. It worked great. Played it for years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: