• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Which to do first? Claude Gordon's

View previous topic :: View next topic  
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:41 am    Post subject: Which to do first? Claude Gordon's Reply with quote

Which is best to do first? Claude Gordon's daily trumpet exercises book, or his Systematic Approach To Daily Practice, which I understand requires a number of other books since it's a lesson plan using those other books (St. Jacome, Arban, etc.)?
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean "In which order should I practice them on a daily basis?" or "which book should I purchase and practice first?" I'm assuming it is the latter.

The material in "Systematic Approach" and "Daily Trumpet Routines" is complementary. You can practice from them both on a daily basis.

If possible, take lessons in person or online from one of Claude Gordon students: Eric Bolvin, Bruce Haag, John Mohan, Jeff Purtle, etc. They can help you to understand Gordon's approach and structure a routine for you.

Edit: I just saw your related post and noticed that you said you were practicing from Clarke's "Elementary Studies" now. If so, "Systematic Approach" is probably not a good fit for you. Gordon also wrote "Physical Approach to Elementary Brass Playing," which probably lines up better with your current abilities. You can use "Daily Trumpet Routines" in concert with that book, but at your stage I'd STRONGLY urge you to get some lessons and let someone experienced help you figure out what you should practice and how you should practice it.

Good luck!
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Yeah "Physical Approach" sounds like the one for me.

I forgot the Claude Gordon sub was 'way down there, and read a bit about it on there.

I'm considering a pretty major move in 3 years so I may hold off on the "Systematic Approach" until after the move, because it's a lot of books and I won't be able to take all that with me very easily.
gwood66
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started Systematic Approach with John Mohan after I had been playing only about 4 months. However, if you are practicing on your own, the previous suggestion to start with Physical Approach is a good one.

Don't think that you need all of the books listed in the front to start Systematic Approach. I started with the following books:

Systematic Approach
Irons 27 Groups of Exercises
Clarke Technical Studies

The front matter to systematic approach lists other books but the three above will get you started. If you search the CG forum, John Mohan discusses how to perform the Part 1 and Part 2 exercises and systematic approach in general. He also has some older posts in the comeback forum where he describes his routine in detail. John also give lessons via skype.

Jeff Purtle has written an Apple iBook that discusses Claude Gordon and his principles. It is worth the money.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Which to do first? Claude Gordon's Reply with quote

1jazzyalex wrote:
Which is best to do first? Claude Gordon's daily trumpet exercises book, or his Systematic Approach To Daily Practice, which I understand requires a number of other books since it's a lesson plan using those other books (St. Jacome, Arban, etc.)?

Claude felt that a player was ready to start Systematic Approach when he could reach (not necessarily a performance quality) High C.

Claude's book Physical Approach to Elementary practice can be used before Systematic Approach if necessary, but it does start at the absolute beginner level. For those not quite ready for Systematic Approach, the best course of action is to have a routine assigned that includes basic flexibilities, exercises from Clarke's Elementary Studies book and selected exercises from Claude's Daily Trumpet Routines book. Then, in fairly short order the student can begin practicing Parts One and Two of Lesson Two in Systematic Approach along with material from other books (flexibilities, technical studies, etc.) to create a well-rounded routine.

Having a knowledgeable teacher to personally guide one through the books and created a personalized daily routine is extremely helpful and assures success.

On a side note: Gary, I graduated! Now studying for the NCLEX.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
gwood66
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Which to do first? Claude Gordon's Reply with quote

[quote=]On a side note: Gary, I graduated! Now studying for the NCLEX.[/quote]

Congratulations John! Good luck with the exam.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Which to do first? Claude Gordon's Reply with quote

gwood66 wrote:
[quote=]On a side note: Gary, I graduated! Now studying for the NCLEX.

Congratulations John! Good luck with the exam.[/quote]

Add mine to it!

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Which to do first? Claude Gordon's Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
gwood66 wrote:
John Mohan wrote:
On a side note: Gary, I graduated! Now studying for the NCLEX.

Congratulations John! Good luck with the exam.

Add mine to it!

Thank you both!
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Mohan thanks for the info! Yeah, Physical Approach first, then Systematic with all the books it uses, and I might order the "breathing" book just because everyone says it's good.

I'm working out of Clarke's Elementary Studies book right now and his little etudes are pretty nice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: