• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mismatched Bach lead pipes?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
deleted_user_0fad774

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Mismatched Bach lead pipes? Reply with quote

I bought a Bach B flat 180 #7 lead pipe off eBay. I wanted to try it out before attaching it to my 1980’s era Bach 37 (I’m guessing this is the model). But when I went to try it, my tuning slide was loose in the #7 lead pipe. They are both ML bores, so why is that? Did I buy the wrong lead pipe?

The serial number is 220689 something - so puts it in the 1980’s era. The reason I say I *think* it is a 37 model is because the bell has been replaced with a Yamaha bell.

Any thoughts guys?
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuning slides come in various diameters (e.g. ML, L) and they also come in different wall thicknesses (thinner for lightweight horns). So there are actually two variables, not one, that affect the fit.

Also, "Model 37" is the model of the bell, not the trumpet. If the bell has been replaced with a Yamaha, then there is no longer anything "Model 37" about the trumpet.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
Rompson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like your Bach trumpet is actually a lightweight model. You wouldn’t be able to tell if it was if the bell was replaced and the horn is silver plated because the only indicator of a Bach lightweight is a star on the bell (if the horn is lacquered, lightweight Bachs are all brass while regular weight Bachs are made of brass with nickel trim). The tubing of lightweight and regular Bach trumpets is not interchangeable even if the bore sizes are the same due to the different gauges of tubing. Sorry!
deleted_user_0fad774

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Great info Reply with quote

Wow, I love this forum. Quick and helpful responses.

Thanks for the education.

I recently bought an Adams A4 w/ a Red Brass bell, large bore that I love, but I don’t want to just toss my old Bach away or sell it for peanuts. I’ve played a lot of jazz on it.

It has the beginnings of red rot on the lead pipe, hence the need to change it out. I bought the 7 after I read that it has a darker sound.

So, how would I replace the lead pipe now? Look for lightweight lead pipes? Where do I buy those? Are there also versions that are more “open”, “darker”, etc.?

I love the slotting on my Bach, but hate the stuffiness in the upper register.
I also thought it would be fun to maybe try a rounder tuning slide, and also maybe even some MAW valves just for the fun of it.

Any thoughts?
Rompson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, lightweight leadpipes should be listed like “43LT” or “25LT” if you buy new. I don’t think they say anything on the leadpipe themselves, however.

The 7 or 43 leadpipe should help with the stuffiness you feel. I’ve only briefly played both, but they seemed a little more open in the high register compared to the 25. The seven definitely has a darker sound. I personally would get a valve alignment done before Maw valves or tuning slides, a valve alignment can do wonders for stuffiness.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: