• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What to look for when choosing a new (professional) trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AkshayB

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject: What to look for when choosing a new (professional) trumpet Reply with quote

I don't know if anyone saw my last post about getting a used professional horn, but I managed to successfully get the 2 I was looking for the Yamaha YTR-8335RGS Xeno and the Bach 180S37 Stradivarius. I tried them both it out and it was really hard to decide. The Bach's valves are AMAZING but the tuning slide is really, really hard to move. The Yamaha's first valve slide is hard to move but the sound on the Yamaha is slightly better than the Bach's when I play it. The Yamaha's valves are slightly slower than the Bach's but not by a lot. The finishes on both trumpets are fantastic and no differences there. To make this a little simpler in what order are these properties of the trumpet by importance, slides, valves, or sound? Also is there anything else I can try to see which one is better for me?
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tight slides can be dealt with by any good brass tech. I would lap them and check the alignment. Valves can be lapped if too tight (or you can play them in) and you can change springs, stronger or weaker. those are mere mechanical considerations.

How does it sound? (Does one have a more pleasing sound to you than the other?) How does it respond? How are articulations? How even is it from top to bottom? Do you have the chops to tell the difference? Be honest, pick the horn you like, they are both good all-around choices.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What to look for when choosing a new (professional) trum Reply with quote

AkshayB wrote:
To make this a little simpler in what order are these properties of the trumpet by importance, slides, valves, or sound? Also is there anything else I can try to see which one is better for me?

In rough order:

1. How it plays.
2. How it sounds.
3. How it sounds.
4. How it plays.
5. How is the intonation?
6. Examine 1-5 again
7. Examine 1-5 once more
8. Overall condition of the horn, leadpipe, valves - no regard to cosmetics or superficial appearance.
9. Examine #8 again
10. Examine 1-5, once more. Repeat 4 more times.
15. Is this instrument interesting, cool, or vintage in some way? Or is it shiny and new? Or nearly new?
16. How is the fit and finish of the slides. Can this be improved or tweaked? (the answer is almost certainly yes, these need attention)
17. What's the condition of the finish? Is there a finish? Do I care?
18. Does it have a trigger or rings? If the former, does it suck?
19. If the trigger sucks, can I remove it or switch it to a saddle/ring? (probably)
20. Do I have a use for this horn? Do I have space for this horn?

Both Bach and Yamaha have excellent valves by this point. Yamaha's quality control is higher, so many of the small finish details will be better. I suspect either horn will have excellent valves if oiled properly and given a little time to break in. I would not use this as a determining factor. The slides should be given minimal consideration, any good tech can help tweak these things, although simply wiping the slides down and apply some different/better slide stuff might be enough.

How it plays and how it sounds is really all that matters. If you're getting that level of horn, you want one that when you play, you are happy and excited with how it plays. No one wants to drive a car that's isn't a tiny bit fun to drive - though we often do. Trumpet and music should be fun, pick the trumpet you actually enjoy playing - which is probably the one that sounds and plays better.

I got a used Benge about 8 or so years ago. When I got it cleaned and fixed up and started playing it, my first thoughts were "Sweet" and "this thing is great." Eight years later, I still think that.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Crazy Finn wrote!

Except i'll disagree with the statement that Yamaha's QT is higher than Bach.. that depends.. I've seen this go both directions. An old stereotype of Bach from the era of auto union workers in the Bach Shop - they still made great instruments but some of the QT slipped (mid 80's to about 2002). But I could point out that Yamaha has similar periods of poor quality.. Early Yamaha valves sucked, had many issues
Yamaha tends to make a model for 3, 4 or 5 years then "redesign" it making the next gen. some better, some worse.
I think in general Bach uses better quality base materials.. quality of brass, etc.

AND IT IS about sound, sound in the performance arena -> in the rooms and ensembles that you'll be in. This is where, IMO, Bach holds the edge-just holds together a tick better and provides a bit more feedback to the player.

Side by side, you'll have to pick which speaks better to you and your ears.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If both horns have mechanical problems, then determining which sounds "better" won't necessarily be accurate. Stress from misalignment, corrosion, or clearances that are too tight or too loose will all potentially affect how the horn resonates.

Find a horn with good mechanics.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of mechanics the valves are, by far, the most important part of a trumpet. Mechanical problems with valves can be difficult and expensive to fix. In contrast, issues with slides are relatively easy to fix.

What draws my attention most is your statement that "...the sound on the Yamaha is slightly better than the Bach's when I play it." What, exactly, does that mean? What is "better?" How do you define that? What is the criteria? Are you talking about the sound from the player's end of the horn or from the audience's end of the horn? If it's from the audience's end of the horn at what distance or distances? Are the acoustics of the particular room favoring one instrument over the other? If so, how?

The quality of sound is highly subjective. The fact that a player likes the sound at the player's end of horn #1 better than the sound at the player's end of horn #2 doesn't necessarily carry over to the audience's end of the horn. A better test is to play the horn in front of some experienced players and let them comment. Even under the best circumstances, however, there is always going to be some built in bias reflected in the opinions.

Keep in mind that you can change the sound to some extent by changing the mouthpiece. In contrast, mechanical problems have to be fixed in a shop by a craftsman (assuming they can be fixed at all).
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
In terms of mechanics the valves are, by far, the most important part of a trumpet. Mechanical problems with valves can be difficult and expensive to fix. In contrast, issues with slides are relatively easy to fix.

What draws my attention most is your statement that "...the sound on the Yamaha is slightly better than the Bach's when I play it." What, exactly, does that mean? What is "better?" How do you define that? What is the criteria? Are you talking about the sound from the player's end of the horn or from the audience's end of the horn? If it's from the audience's end of the horn at what distance or distances? Are the acoustics of the particular room favoring one instrument over the other? If so, how?

The quality of sound is highly subjective. The fact that a player likes the sound at the player's end of horn #1 better than the sound at the player's end of horn #2 doesn't necessarily carry over to the audience's end of the horn. A better test is to play the horn in front of some experienced players and let them comment. Even under the best circumstances, however, there is always going to be some built in bias reflected in the opinions.

Keep in mind that you can change the sound to some extent by changing the mouthpiece. In contrast, mechanical problems have to be fixed in a shop by a craftsman (assuming they can be fixed at all).

One aspect that I was alluding to is that poorly fitting pistons or slides and misaligned parts will affect resonance, which is where sound comes from. A poorly resonating horn will have a poor sound from behind the bell and to the audience.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New horns invariably require a certain amount of special attention that new buyers typically are not aware of.

1. Clean the horns inside and out, grease the slides with a reliable lubricant (Schilke slide grease, Bag Balm, Pure lanolin oil) and cut it with a drop or three of valve oil until the slides move as freely as you desire. Oil the valves with a quality valve oil.

2. Frequently (as in every day or two depending how much you are playing, say every 3 hours or so of use) remove the pistons, swab them down, swab the casings and re-oil. This is to remove the black residue that will accumulate rapidly as the new valves wear in over the first few months, which can slow or even cause hesitation in valve action.

3. If something does not seem to fit after 1 & 2, it will need attention from a skilled tech, but other than leaking valves should not be any great concern.

4. The sound you hear behind the bell is not what others hear in front of it. Rely on skilled ears to help you assess, and when practical, point your bell at a hard smooth wall with soft materials behind you and try to focus on the sound coming back at you off the wall.

5. Don't listen to any one else with regard to what is "better" other than your teacher and trusted others specifically with regard to how YOU sound. The opinions of the rest of us here on the web with regard to brands mean nothing. All that matters is what works best for you.

In answer to the actual question, what matters most (top priority first) is:

1. Which helps you sound your best for your audience?
2. Which requires less effort of you to do what you want it to do?

That's it. The rest is just logistics and image.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
HERMOKIWI wrote:

One aspect that I was alluding to is that poorly fitting pistons or slides and misaligned parts will affect resonance, which is where sound comes from. A poorly resonating horn will have a poor sound from behind the bell and to the audience.

I agree that if a horn is a wreck it won't sound as good as if it wasn't a wreck. However, I have rarely encountered a horn in a condition so poor that the sound was compromised compared to horns in great condition to any audible degree. The only one I can think of was a 1913 Harry B. Jay Columbia that was clearly in "worn out" condition.

A great player will sound great on any decent horn in good condition. Decent horns in good condition are plentiful. Pick it up and play it. If it sounds good and is in good mechanical condition it can handle anything you can put through it.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with most of what has been said, particularly with Crazy Finn.

I would add: Yamaha comes with nylon valve guides. I have found that switching to metal gets rid of the feeling of sluggishness in the valves. Of course they might just need a little TLC.

Does one of the horns inspire you, make you want to pick it up and play, make it so you are sad to close it up in the case? I would get that one if it is in good shape.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:

This, especially the third paragraph.

And regarding the third paragraph:
I once asked a high school Masters class that I was teaching to describe what they thought was “good” and “bad” tone. The consensus was that bright=bad, dark=good. Obviously this was what they interpreted comments made by their band directors to mean...and maybe the directors did mean that, although I would hope not.
Tone can be very subjective; sometimes tonal quality is confused with tonal color.

Brad
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What to look for when choosing a new (professional) trum Reply with quote

AkshayB wrote:
I don't know if anyone saw my last post about getting a used professional horn, but I managed to successfully get the 2 I was looking for the Yamaha YTR-8335RGS Xeno and the Bach 180S37 Stradivarius. I tried them both it out and it was really hard to decide. The Bach's valves are AMAZING but the tuning slide is really, really hard to move. The Yamaha's first valve slide is hard to move but the sound on the Yamaha is slightly better than the Bach's when I play it. The Yamaha's valves are slightly slower than the Bach's but not by a lot. The finishes on both trumpets are fantastic and no differences there. To make this a little simpler in what order are these properties of the trumpet by importance, slides, valves, or sound? Also is there anything else I can try to see which one is better for me?

The issues with the slides, etc., are easily corrected by a top-qualified repair technician (but not your everyday inexperienced hack.) It's not a big deal. Pick the horn you like then have the minor adjustments made. Good luck choosing.
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: