• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

C Trumpet Books ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dghill1@charter.net

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:54 am    Post subject: C Trumpet Books ? Reply with quote

Hi I have just acquired a C horn, in a trade. I have played trumpet for many years but am not familiar with c trumpet. Are there any books dealing specifically with c trumpets and their characteristics? Thank you George Hill
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll probably be playing 4th space Eb with fingerings 2-3 and 4th space E with fingerings 1-2 or 3 to get those notes in tune.

Your ear (and body) will probably expect the notes to sound different when you play your new C.

To answer your question, I don't know of any book.
tptjazzboy28

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarke Technical Studies! These will take you through all of the keys, and will help you to navigate the new horn's tuning tendencies. I would focus your attention on the sound, and everything will begin to fall into place. When I bought my first C trumpet I was so fixated on everything being "different" and found that I was constantly fighting the horn. Have fun with the new horn!

ACB- Nashville
PATRICK Mouthpieces
Belmont University
Nashville, TN
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I struggled with my first C for several weeks. I would routinely be flat and would push the tuning slide way in which got the pitch closer, but the intonation and response were wonky. When my teacher advised me to play higher in the slot and set the tuning slide to a more reasonable position things started to line up nicely.

I was also advised to always warm up on the big horn and then dedicate a finite amount of time for the C doing Clarke specifically to realign myself on the new horn.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest alternating between the Bb and C on a few measures of the same music or scales - just transposed. That way you can better match your C sound and intonation to your Bb.
KevinInGeorgia
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:
I would suggest alternating between the Bb and C on a few measures of the same music or scales - just transposed. That way you can better match your C sound and intonation to your Bb.

I agree.. Do this and get into a routine of starting with your Bb and then move to C.. Also Play your C with other instruments ( Piano or Band/Orchestra) to get use to the intonation quirks..

“Heroes turn into martyrs on this instrument.” ~ William Vacchiano
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play the same books. You can play as written or transpose down a step to match the key
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: