• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

A question about playing above staff

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
INTJ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Often wondered about this. But what I’m talking about is learning to get the same sound as lower notes without the thinned tone. I really cannot expect more till I experience it more and perhaps read a bit.
Rod

Playing them soft and thin is the first step. It takes just a little more finesse to make them full. But like you have alluded to, we must never strain while playing these notes. So we often must go slowly and carefully.
Flip Oakes Flugel

Harrelson 5mm MP
ComeBackTumpet

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: A question about playing above staff Reply with quote

Rod Haney wrote:
I have been experimenting with putting more lip in front of mp (pucker ?) to try to play more on the inside of the lips. I am also trying to push the horn away a bit when I ascend and it seems to let the lips vibrate a bit more freely. I am getting really strong notes up to hi f, but higher and the tone of the note gets weaker. I usually devote about a half hour a day to range over 2 sessions. For those of you who use the pucker type placement what do you use to climb higher with fuller sound. It may b that I’m too new to this to have enough strength/coordination/ pick your word and it may just take more time (only 2 months into change) but I will try anything that makes sense. I asked this forum because everyone does this differently and I thought someone had run into similar.
Thanks
Rod

Any change in tone quality?
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same tone quality with some more richness in lower register and a fuller (less thin) upper register to a hi f/g. I’m just learning to sound above that and they are thin unless I play them softly. When doing that I just strive for a clear note with a center and relative intonation. It’s going to be a journey to get above current f/g but they got stronger quickly. I’ve done a lot of changing over last 4 years and my tone has remained very good as I just take just what improves me and this change is entirely positive to date. I’ve been playing softly for a while and this helps with the whole process. I now feel I have been putting entirely the wrong effort in and now have a chance at strengthening the range. But it did have a positive effect at both ends and middle seems very much same.
Rod
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing louder, however you'll approach it, will need more strength to maintain the "seal".
same when you get tired
Bill_Bumps
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I use a conventional ~50/50 upper/lower mpc rim placement, and a slightly downward tilt of the horn - just enough to see the music page, and prevent condensation backflow.

Those are both considerations that I don't see discussed much. I know I often catch myself dipping the horn too low, just to see the music properly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: