• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bugle Recommendations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sjtrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject: Bugle Recommendations Reply with quote

Looking for some guidance... I am trying to find a decent, playable bugle -- for taps, solo military fanfares, etc.

Anyone have a good recommendation (brand, key, era)? Trying not to spend a ton, just needs to function...

Thanks
Liberty Lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getzen makes a nice bugle. I believe that you can get it in Bb with an optional G crook.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second the Getzen Bugle.. Bugles Across America, American Heritage.
Getzen M2003 American Heritage Series Bb Field Bugle Lacquer

also available on eBay...
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Liberty Lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Getzen is too pricey, Scoutbugle.com sells Kanstul bugles (while supplies last) for about $300, and what looks to be a pretty nice Chinese made bugle for less than $200.

There are a lot of used and Chinese made bugles on ebay for extremely low prices, but the quality will be questionable. If you buy something on ebay sight-unseen for a low price, be prepared to have an unplayable object on your hands.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Getzen Field Trumpet with the optional G slide. It works well for me. Kanstul is another good choice. The Getzen costs a bit more than the Kanstul, but it comes with a case and the ability to play in both Bb and G. If I was buying a bugle today, the Getzen and Kanstul would be on the top of my list.

As someone suggested, www.ScoutBugle.com might be worth a look.

But for the most part, I'd stay away from no-name bugles on eBay. Although I did buy a $30 eBay bugle for my son to take on camping trips when he was a Boy Scout. The low C and high C were both a bit out of tune. But the price was right. And it was a perfect horn to take camping, since we didn't care if it got damaged.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
jrd19580

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also recommend the Getzen Field Trumpet Elite with the G slide. I have been using one of those with our Local Military Honor Guard for 3 years now and it is a fantastic Bugle. I use the Kelly Bobby Shew Acrylic Piece all year round. Makes playing in the cold a little easier.

Sorry, I have not tried the Kanstul for comparison. Since the Getzen Factory was local we went to them to be fitted for our squad.
bean_counter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The b-flat Couesnon clarion (bugle) is excellent, if you can find one in good shape. It's a French-style single wrap. Bugles I have seen here were made from the 1920's - '50s; most have a two digit year inside a "flaming shell" stamp on the bell. All I have encountered were trumpet or cornet receivers. Last I checked $100-125 range, but they're not as common as they were on that auction site.

As far as I know Couesnon still makes them, but they are very pricey and there's no distribution here.

There is also a Mexican copy with flat "ears" instead of round knobs on the tuning bit made in the roughly same era.
Eclipse cornet (Yellow, Bauerfeind) DW 4B Heritage
Cousnon clairon Bb
'60s Besson tenor horn DW 3
hartleymartin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are playing Taps in the USA, you will want an M1892 Field Trumpet/Signal Trumpet. By 1917 this design had been adopted by all US Military branches:

https://tapsbugler.com/the-origins-of-the-model-1892-bugle-m1892-field-trumpet/

These are traditionally pitched in G, though being a signal instrument usually played solo they were often in various pitches. I do know that some bands adopted the basic same design but in B-flat to match modern trumpets.

British/Commonwealth/former British Empire countries used a Bugle in B-flat of a different design - more conical and much more akin to the sound of a flugelhorn. (note: the infantry used a B-flat Bugle and the Cavalry used an E-flat natural trumpet.)

If you are going to be playing US military bugle calls, I would recommend acquiring an M1892 for that authentic sound.

I'm not sure what the practice is in the US, but in the former British Empire, the bugle was carried slung on a cord over the left should and carried at the right hip. If the bugler was also carrying a drum, it would simply swing at the rear - hence the small chain to prevent loss of the mouthpiece. I don't know if the US has a custom of a slung bugle, but if you are playing trumpet with a band then marching out to a separate position for the playing of taps, it is worth considering having a slung M1892 Field Trumpet and having one of your fellow band members hold your trumpet.

Just be wary of cheap "bugles" being sold online. They are often very poorly-made copies of original instruments which range from just playable, to wall-ornament in quality. As always, you gets what you pay for.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In current production: Getzen

In vintage: the King 1921-25 Boy Scout Bugle is quite good. The Jupiter 600 "Brigadier" from the early 2000s is perhaps the best sounding and in tune Regulation G bugle I have encountered.

In fantasy world: a Bach strad bugle - but there's only a handful ever made (1 surprisingly recently).

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
JeffM729
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are trying to keep the cost under $100, you can find single valve bugles in G on eBay and other sites.

They are adequate for the task.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Kanstul Bb bugle that I use for this purpose. You can find these used at times, but it looks like scoutbugle.com has sold out of them. I believe the Marines used some of these at one time and perhaps others.
Most service musicians actually use trumpets these days (I have seen them used at Army and Marine funerals recently), but there are some issued bugles, the famous Bach ones, the single valved ones, etc. I have never seen any of these available for sale, but others may know better.
Taps Bugler has a page on this subject.
http://tapsbugler.com/bugles-for-use-at-funerals-ceremonies-and-civil-war-events/
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off topic a bit, but why not just use a Bb trumpet?

Brad
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:

Appropriate look and sound.
The challenge of playing one.

The DoD directive specifies a ceremonial bugle or high quality stereo recording, but when military details are available for funerals, trumpets are frequently used.
Here are the relevant passages from DoD Instruction 1300.15
2.4 g. Provide a bugler, either military or civilian, for the playing of the National Song of Military Remembrance as identified in Section 596 of Public Law 112-239, also known and referred to in this issuance as “Taps.” Bugler support may be contracted. The Service representative may authorize the playing of Taps on a ceremonial bugle or a high quality recording on a stereo player and must ensure that it is available.
3.2 b. The funeral honors ceremony requires a minimum of two Military Service members, in addition to a bugler, if available. ...
3.2 c. In general, when a bugler sounds Taps (including a Service member using the ceremonial bugle), he or she will be placed in a prominent position. Portable stereo players should be used as a last resort and, if used, will be out of sight of the funeral party. The official version of Taps is played by a single bugle, and therefore, Echo Taps are not authorized.
There are a few other mentions under appropriate uniforms for service personnel, definition of additional personnel, authorized providers, etc. But the above give us all the direction we get.

The G bugle is appropriate for some things, but from what I have read most think that for funerals and other ceremonies only the Bb is considered appropriate. It is certainly the standard. The instructions do not dictate the Bb though, so I guess in a G could be used.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:

Brad

Nothing wrong with using a Bb trumpet. For me personally, I like using a bugle. When I play taps, I use my Getzen Field Trumpet. But if I'm at an event where they want taps and other songs (Star Spangled Banner, God Bless America, etc), I use my Bb trumpet.

FWIW, Bugles Across America allows people to use a traditional bugle, valved bugle, trumpet, cornet, or flugelhorn. Most people I've interacted with use either a bugle or trumpet, some playing in G, others in Bb.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: