• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Development from high F to super G

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good Kalijah. I'm buying all of it. Though I'll state right here and now that we'll not see the end of this perpetual argument until one of us reaches our expiration date. Until then?

It's what I call the "Dead Horse Beating Society".

One more thing about your post re larger cupped mouthpieces. In recent years I've found the bigger and deeper cups to hold fewer benefits. Lynn Nicholson in his teachings has pointed out that a "larger piece doesn't create a bigger sound. It makes a darker sound".

And while people will diss this comment I see the only problem with the statement to be that it needs a qualifier and Lynn is not at fault for this. When he was working with Maynard then later playing Vegas shows he and his fellows were usually using shallow equipment BUT WITH VERY OPEN THROATs on their mouthpieces.

Most of we mortals (lol) are used to stock shallow mouthpieces coming in #28 or #27 throats. Kinda tight! Yet these aren't usually the throat sizes found in the trumpets belonging to powerful Vegas type scream players! Indeed Maynard played a doggone #15 to #16 throat! A size which most the rest of us would consider unplayable. And yet most of the lead players in Vegas will tend to use at least use throat sizes around #22 to #24. On these pieces it becomes hard to distinguish the bigness in sound between the shallow mouthpiece user and the larger one.

Indeed the famous Bill Chase 6a4A piece that is featured in an "artist model" available from Schilke is definitely not the mouthpiece that Chase used! I know from reliable sources that his mouthpiece, though probably similar to the 6a4A had a throat size of around a #24.

From my experience the best reason to use a large, mouthpiece in a deeper cup is to.
A. Get that darker or more classical tone. And,
B. Help in the production of intervals and articulation.

Now as per the O/Ps topic? My personal opinion is that a trumpet player's embouchure either has the latent capacity to blow good high F's and G's or it doesnt. If it does not? It seems to me that the solution is partially to gain a personal understanding of how an embouchure works. That and more importantly learn why it can not play high notes. Lastly the aspiring lead player must then incorporate those measures necessary to "fix" his playing. It's not always embouchure either.

As noted by the great tubist and brass teacher Arnold Jacibs,

"I see more problems with respiration in my students than I do with embouchure".

To Jacobs breath control was always foremost and he may have been correct. At least in terms of the majority who sought his help. Take one of my own students for example. He's a college grad 30 years old. Decent trumpet player but no upper register at all. Nothing above high C that is. I was curious as to why the hell he had never ventured into the upper register. Especially since he shows much promise as a Jazz player.

The reason was that no one had ever exposed him to high notes. Nor tried to teach him!! After he got to me I put him on a steady "diet" of progressuvely higher arpeggios, some pedal tones and a better mouthpiece. After adopting these measures? He's developing a terrific extreme upper register.

Therein lies one of the problems with trumpet in the context of trumpet studies in music education today. The lack of emphasis on playing high notes in a constructive way. That and a lack of standardized methods to achieve these high notes.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello,
Lionel introduced one parameter forgotten in this thread : the mpc. Be sure you play the right ID, the one that really fits you. This more than the other parameters of a mpc is crucial for the range (i'm not talking about about sound nor volume in the high register that depend on other mpc's factors).

then, to solve your pb, one must see and know which of the items needed are missing in your technic (of breathing or embouchure). Because you need coordination, air pivot, air support...

maybe take the opportunity to have a lesson with Bobby Shew next time he'll be in uk, if you live there

best
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Development from high F to super G Reply with quote

BBB1976 wrote:
Hi everyone

I have a good high F, but want to develop and learn how to break up to super G (a tone step)
I play lead in big bands, and would make life easier and more enjoyable playing the tunes!
What methods/exercises have you all used to do this? I've tried most things, but can't seem to break up further. Any ideas?

Best

Lots of ways to play the trumpet. Lots of ways to adapt our individual physical/skeletal/muscular/soft tissue to play high for almost anyone.

One method that seems to work without effort -- lots of discipline, but little effort -- is culminated in Eddie Lewis's "One Range" book, which might need to be accompanied by "Daily Routines," "Chops Express," and "The Physical Trumpet Pyramid."

The secret is a finely structured training routine (heavy days, light days but more than that) while never playing above "Your Range." After weeks, "your range" will have increased. You then reset "your range" and stick to the concept of never exceeding "your range" until you reset it again, and again ...

I'm not sure that "One Range" is on his website but it's available on Lulu.

Communicate directly with Eddie if you're interested, but here's what he has to say about it on Lulu ...

One Range, from the pedal tones to the notes above the dreaded double C. One Range is a strategy guide for trumpet players to help them grow their strength in a way that maintains all of their current abilities.

One Range is not an exercise book. There are no high note exercises on these pages. There are no exercises at all. The book is 100% text. Instead of gaining a better range through pounding your chops with high note drills, One Range helps you build that range in a more natural manner. You can even use the exercises you are already practicing with slight modifications.

-Denny
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another possible technique. If you have a solid high F you can ease into the G at the same volume by trilling or "shake" into it at that loud volume.

I will demonstrate here. I first sound a middle C to establish a nice neutral setting.

https://youtu.be/cDOl0g1SyA4
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
I could play a full-power F# above High C anytime, anywhere, even at the end of the third show of the day when I was on tour with the Circus (we closed the show with "Born to Be Wild" - a little pro-animal dig I managed to sneak into the show that the Producer/Owner never quite caught onto).

But the G, when I could get it at all was squirrelly at best.

Interesting. You had an in your sleep F# but G was problematic. Funny how sticking points fall at different places for different players. When I got to where I could get F and F# fairly decently reliably - not as strong as I have them now and almost surely not as strong as yours were, G was an "added bonus" - it just came out no problem without any particular extra work. I assumed it was that way for everyone.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
mohrt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For great technicals around high register playing, check out James Morrison's video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujrTDbnvDpU&t=10s

Just to note, James' information is very closely aligned with John Mohan, he even uses the same water hose analogy. Although you could stretch your lips thinner, it has limited effect. More air is the key to higher notes.
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Morrison presents erroneous mechanics in the video. The tonge does NOT act like a water nozzle. Additional resistance before the aperture reduces air flow AND the air energy. The tongue movement is simply related to the embouchure muscle effort. Namely the roll out action. Any air pressure loss from the arch can be made up with more blowing effort. The embouchure controls the pitch played. The air doesn't. Air is only the energy supply.
omelet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be mistaken, but it doesn't look like Morrison rolls out, it looks like he is all rolled in with puff out lips around the mouthpiece.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalijah wrote:
The embouchure controls the pitch played. The air doesn't. Air is only the energy supply.

The embouchure is important but it *all* controls the pitch. Parts of a whole. Parts of a whole.

The particular configuration of Morrison's chops and how he uses them allows him to have a strong upper register. People seem to discount that the shape of the tissue that creates the reed is a factor.

There's a reason why a couple of online knuckleheads I know of have a relatively easy time playing in the upper register - despite being able to do little else of musical value. Their chops happen to be cooperative.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
BBB1976
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:25 am    Post subject: Development from high F to super G Reply with quote

Hi folks

Wow, I never thought this post would get so much interest! In contrast to some inaccurate information here, John Mohan has summed it up well! The proof is in the pudding! John is a good player.

Happy New Year all!!!
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In contrast to some inaccurate information here

Exactly what information is "inaccurate"?
mohrt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalijah wrote:
Quote:

For one, your statement "The embouchure controls the pitch played" doesn't seem to add up. This can easily be verified. Play a middle staff G with the tongue in the natural ("ahhh") position. Now, without arching/moving the tongue, try to raise the pitch. You can't do it, tongue must rise for pitch to go up ("eeee").
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mohrt wrote:
kalijah wrote:
Quote:

For one, your statement "The embouchure controls the pitch played" doesn't seem to add up. This can easily be verified. Play a middle staff G with the tongue in the natural ("ahhh") position. Now, without arching/moving the tongue, try to raise the pitch. You can't do it, tongue must rise for pitch to go up ("eeee").

I think you've picked a poor/inaccurate example. You could play all the pitches on a trumpet even if you didn't have a tongue. You'd just need the correct embouchure and sufficient airflow.
mohrt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
mohrt wrote:
kalijah wrote:
Quote:

I think you've picked a poor/inaccurate example. You could play all the pitches on a trumpet even if you didn't have a tongue. You'd just need the correct embouchure and sufficient airflow.

If that were true, then you would be able to pass the test, no? Show me how you change pitch without moving the tongue.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By tightening the lip tissue and perhaps decreasing the aperture, same as everyone else. Most people tend to tense/purse the lips, press a little harder, and blow a little harder when ascending but ultimately lip tension controls the pitch.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mohrt wrote:
[... Show me how you change pitch without moving the tongue.

----------------------------------
For many people, the tongue 'gets moved' in conjunction with how they adjust their embouchure. And some people do consciously 'move their tongue' in the process of adjusting their embouchure - because they find that doing so make the embouchure change easier.

But that does not prove (or show) that changing pitch is dependent or caused by tongue movement.

Tongue movement can be 'associated with' embouchure change - but it is the embouchure that determines the pitch. You can test that by playing a long tone, and while keeping your embouchure that same, move your tongue. Some individuals might not be able to do that because the muscles THEY USE for embouchure control also strongly affects their tongue.

The tongue movement associated with 'eee' is used as a way to 'guide' someone in how to make the embouchure change that is needed to change pitch.

There is little harm in suggesting that someone tries using tongue movement as a means to assist embouchure adjustment for changing pitch, but it is not REQUIRED by everyone to think about or to perform tongue movement.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mohrt wrote:
HERMOKIWI wrote:
mohrt wrote:
kalijah wrote:
Quote:

If that were true, then you would be able to pass the test, no? Show me how you change pitch without moving the tongue.

I pass the test easily and so can everyone else. My range is not dependent on tongue position nor is my ability to change pitch dependent on tongue position.

So, is it your position that a person without a tongue cannot play multiple pitches on trumpet?
mohrt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
mohrt wrote:
HERMOKIWI wrote:
mohrt wrote:
kalijah wrote:
Quote:

I pass the test easily and so can everyone else. My range is not dependent on tongue position nor is my ability to change pitch dependent on tongue position.

So, is it your position that a person without a tongue cannot play multiple pitches on trumpet?

I have no idea what a person without a tongue can or cannot do on a trumpet But my understanding is that pitch comes from air velocity through the lips, and tongue level naturally controls air velocity by channeling it. I suppose you can channel air velocity by thinning the lips, but that would have limited effect (?) [edit] are you guys all on the same wave length that James Morrison / Claude Gordon / Herbert Clarke are fundamentally wrong about trumpet pitch and what makes it work?
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mohrt wrote:
[... are fundamentally wrong about trumpet pitch and what makes it work?

----------------------------------------------
Many people write about what they think is happening, and what they feel or attempt to do to make it happen.

But that doesn't mean that what they write is the correct 'mechanical reason'. The various explanations might be very useful as a guide for people who are trying to duplicate the technique, even if the science is not completely accurate.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without entering the battle being waged ... Playing out of "The Louis Maggio System for Brass" has helped me out a lot through the years. My (stay in playing shape routine if you will) is the Maggio Endurance Exercise every other day and playing until my chops are tired in the trumpet method - "A Tribute to William Adam; His Teachings & His Routine on the non-Maggio days ... thus, back and forth bertween the two. I sit and watch TV doing this. When I am consistently practicing everyday, I can usually play for about 90 minutes straight while wtching a corny B movie or something else.

http://www.balquhiddermusic.com/brass-studies/tribute-to-william-adam-davis

Other issues that have helped me (personally) have been going to a 10.5C inner diameter on my "legit" mouthpiece and a small v cup for my range mouthpiece. I learned this from Lynn Nicholson as well as reading articles and YouTube's by Bobby Shew and Allen Vizzutti who ALL advocate playing on the smallest equipment you possibly can. Of course musical tone still rules in that equation.

Unlike what is described in the Maggio Method, I blow my lips out (roll out) and anchor on my top right side slightly. This best describes what I do and for the past 50 years ... I have ALWAYS done what naturally feels best FOR ME. For years I played on a Bach 7C mouthpiece and could actually play a high F on that mouthpiece in high school marching band. Now, I know that mouthpiece was too deep and wide as was a Schilke 13a4 which I played in college achieving a high Ab for a long time. I can now play a pedal C to a relatively loud double C when I am being consistent with my daily practice at 58 years old.

I never had any private trumpet teacher as there were no proficient teachers around who could play themselves. My three high school band directors all played trumpet and none could exceed a high C and none knew what they were doing in terms of physically playing correctly. The college professor at my first university (Troy State University) only taught Music Majors and the college professor at my second university (Georgia Southern University) was an orchestral type player and just played terribly. So, I continued to "teach myself" by trying different things etc.

YouTube can be a very very valuable tool as there are so many helpful videos on there to watch. As Brian MacDonald told me ... check out differing views and see what works for YOU. Keep what works for YOU and dismiss the rest. Watch the YouTube Video with Jim Manley, Brian MacDonald and Kevin as they discuss range and air compression. It's interesting banter.

Sorry so winded.
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece

Last edited by RussellDDixon on Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: