• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Development from high F to super G

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalijah wrote:
So they will keep trying until they "discover" the explanation that supports their preconceived conclusions, while rejecting any that doesn't?

That is one mighty big piece of hypothetical conjecture to say the least.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthew Anklan wrote:
JayKosta wrote:
Some people can perform the necessary jaw/throat changes without conscious (or any) involvement of tongue manipulation, and other people get better results by consciously making tongue movements that activate beneficial jaw/throat movement. Jay

Anyone who claims to think about this stuff when they play music is either a liar or a terrible musician.

Do you think about your tongue when you speak? Do you think about your tongue when you whistle? NO! And it should be the same when we play the trumpet.
I think about it sometimes and other times I don't. Same as when I shoot a basketball, and notice my mechanics are off. I think about it and make the corrections. Then I don't think about it for a while, until I notice another problem with my shot. Maybe I'm not squaring up my feet, maybe my follow through is drifting off to the left. Then I make a few shots and get in the "zone" where I am having success and no longer need to think about the mechanics. Same thing with trumpet playing.
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaw04 wrote:
.. Same as when I shoot a basketball, and notice my mechanics are off. I think about it and make the corrections. Then I don't think about it for a while, until I notice another problem with my shot...

In general if you look at modern sports training this is a key element. How many professional marathoners have not had their stride 3D-analyzed in excruciating detail on a treadmill? I would guess zero. The trainer then suggests some small adjustment in their form, they are self-conscious about it for awhile as they integrate it, and eventually it becomes natural. Copy and paste in your favorite professional sport, they are all doing it. We are starting to see more of this in music but it is still far behind the sports world.

Personally I do some of this on trumpet. Things I spent some time thinking about in the last year include getting my lips far enough apart when I place the mouthpiece, closing the jaw enough as I ascend, keeping not too much top or bottom lip hanging over the teeth, making "the face" when playing, etc. All of these were suggested by my teacher who also believes it is good to think a bit about such things. Now all I need is a "musical treadmill" to get my whole posture, embouchure, airstream, etc analyzed and music will have caught up to sports!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: