• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

tonguing on the upper lip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:11 pm    Post subject: tonguing on the upper lip Reply with quote

Sorry if this question has been asked a lot already. I searched the forum and didn't find an answer.

When I tongue on the upper lip, should my tongue go out between my teeth to touch the lip, or should the lip roll in between the teeth?
trumpet_cop
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niether because it would completely disrupt your airstream and give poor articulation and response
Good Ol' Boy ID#3624360
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet_cop wrote:
Niether because it would completely disrupt your airstream and give poor articulation and response

----
Are you suggesting that the tip of the tongue shouldn't touch the upper lip at all?

For me, the tip of my tongue goes forward and under the upper teeth and touches the upper lip.

But a person's individual technique will depend on where they position the upper lip while playing, and how they move their tongue.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TH member trumpet_cop is giving a mainstream answer, based on a common belief of how articulations should be practiced and done. BE steers in a different direction from the mainstream understanding.

And of course, this is the BE forum.

Mike, the relative positions of the top lip and teeth when tonguing are both variables. However, most players bring the tongue more forward, through the teeth opening, than the other way around.

Jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: