• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Overtrained embouchure. A caution.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject: Overtrained embouchure. A caution. Reply with quote

"This can't be happening to me".

Well yes it can and it did. Humbling experience. I just now pulled myself out of the "Pit Of Overtrained Chops". I figure it took me almost twenty days to pull myself out.

While this is a much more common problem for the younger players (I've been playing going on 55 years!) It still hit me very hard. This in part because of the major embouchure change I started only a year and a half ago. Being a functional "second year instrumentalist" presently? I no longer possess an innate understanding of my NEW embouchure's limitations.

And it was Depressing. I started doubting my very purpose in life.

"If I can't play trumpet after nearly 55 years of playing it"?

Thoughts like that cropped up often. I needed a break and took three ehole days off the horn. Then EASED my way back on. Then suddenly just today I broke free from "The Pit". It was almost like it never happened.

"Physician Heal Thyself".

It's sometimes hard to practice what one preaches eh? Just today I told a student to "practice your high note studies only every OTHER day". Heavy , light... Heavy, light... Fearful that he too may fall into "The Pit".. Tortoise and the Hare. Patience wins the day.

You ought hear the fellow though. Wow!. All his other teachers wrote him off! Why? Learning disability. Sad huh? Not to me! So I took him in privately. In just his first month his range has gone up a perfect fifth. His high G is beautiful! And he shows good signs of getting the DHC soon. He squeaks to E/DHC! Incrediblly good sign. Yes a damned good indication. And HE LISTENS to me! Accepts my help.

The only thing better than a solid high G is seeing someone else develop one. But that's my confession today. I fell into "The Pit" for a spell. I probably should have known better. But again? My chops are still kinda immature. Stuff happens. It's to be expected.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
mark61
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear what your saying and i can relate. i got on a Maynard high note obsession 8 years ago and destroyed my playing. I haven't even picked up a horn in a year. I was so put out with my playing i just quit and am now trying to rid myself of all my collection.
I couldn't go a day with out trying to figure out how to play higher or stop myself from doing it. Every day ended up with a mashed un-oxygenated lip. I took lessons and bought books , googled everything i could find to play higher with the same result. i wasn't playing higher and everything else sounded bad too. Maybe i will try again some day with some sense and sanity. (just to play )

Best
mark
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by dstpt on Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the bright side,

I have not only passed through that nasty phase of overtrained chops but have locked onto an apparently much higher plateau. This all accomplished upon my new embouchure of barely 20 months existence.

At 20 months, or a little over a year and a half from starting my radical embouchure change is finally starting to find it's groove. Whereas before arriving on this new plateau (or even before falling into my recently recovered nasty spell of overtrained chops) my volume was weaker than desired. I could get a solid forte but it required much concentration.

Now however my volume is far bigger than it was a month ago and without hardly even trying all that much. I've spoken to other aspiring high note players who've had similar experiences. Each having powerful "Breakthrough moments". When suddenly some portion of their embouchure simply "let go". Upon this happening their extreme upper register turned from squeaks into solid notes.

Actually in retrospect I was more concerned about those notes between the tuning note up to high C. What we call the 'cash' register. I've turned squeaky high tones into good high notes at least twice before in my life and almost a third time. However each time it became apparent that fattening up my cash' register was both the more involved and important trick.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: