• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Jaw Issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted - 10/30/2003 : 00:20:40
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author
fzr Phil
Veteran Member

Posted: 2002-07-31 18:24
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hello guys,

I have an issue with my jaw position which i have had for as long as i can remember. i have not mentioned it before but;
There is a definate 'click' from the corners of my jaw as my mouth opens. with my teeth closed i have an overbite but as my teeth open my jaw jumps forward to an almost aligned position. i think i may be pushing/letting my jaw out (forward) too much. almost to the pt where the the bottom teeth overlap in front of the top teeth.
i know finding the right jaw position is crucial and wondered if any one had experience of this condition.

generally my feelings about my playing progress are still 'mixed' i have many glimpses of fine/clean/soft articulate sound (mostly at home) but still remain/appear inconsistent at the band hall, esp with very soft playing. (2nd cornet brass band)

hope you all have fun at the clinic, i sure would love to go myself.

thanks

Besson 600 trumpet - GR NB63***
Besson 928 sovereign Cornet - GR NB63*** #7 (also #5 and #8 avail)
besson new standard soprano cornet GR nb63*** cornet #5

tptguy
Heavyweight Member

Posted: 2002-08-01 00:25
<<i know finding the right jaw position is crucial and wondered if any one had experience of this condition.>>>

Phil, There should be no manipulation of the jaw in Superchops. Though you should drop your lower jaw a bit in order to keep the the teeth open, your jaw should stay in its natural position front to back. The lower part of the mouthpiece should be supported by the lower lip and tongue, not the jaw. This is the primary difference btw Superchops and Stevens-Costello. Don't try to mix the two. Best regards, Kyle

caedes

It sounds like you could hav a joint condition called TMJ. I'd suggest seeing your dentist about this.

[ This Message was edited by: caedes on 2002-08-01 20:59 ]

[ This Message was edited by: caedes on 2002-08-01 20:59 ]

dwm1129
Veteran Member

Posted: 2002-08-01 21:15
I dated a girl for many years that had the same problem, whenever she opened her mouth the corners of her jaw would make a popping sound. Eventualy she went to the dentist and he said she would have to wear a retainer at night to solve the problem and if she didn't it would keep getting worse over the years to the point where she couldn't open her mouth at all, which I wouldn't have minded so much at least most of the time . She wasn't a musician or a trumpeter so she didn't have any problems with jaw position, so I can't help you on that end, but from a health standpoint I would go to the dentist and see whats up, before it gets worse.

fzr Phil
Veteran Member

Posted: 2002-08-06 16:38
Thanks for ther replies.
The link on TMJ was/is very interesting.
I did get it it looked at a few years ago and it probably is 'TMJ' basicaly they said there was not much they could do but if it got real bad there were some drugs that help to soften the cartiledge. they are 'phsyc-something' and as i remember the side effects made me a bit more irritable than usual

i kind of live with it but it can occasionally be more troublesome than other times. I do feel that the 'natural' position is right on the 'click' so i think my jaw is perhaps just forward or just back of 'natural' during playing conditions. i am trying to keep it back if possible (behind the click).

i have had this for as long as i can remember. and perhaps attribute it a bit to letting my jaw forward for an even tooth alignment but who can say?
I can't really remember how i used to set my chops for the bigger stuff (euph/horn) i think i mostly had an even tooth-jaw forward but also as i used to tongue from behind my teeth/ roof of mouth, i may have at times left my jaw more closed.

back then i did'nt have any in-depth understanding of embouchure mechanics, aside from some one sided material that i probably mis-interperated any how. i do know that my single biggest playing problem was random no-note production i.e just air otherwise i was quite good!

cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: