• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

differance between playing cornet and trumpet?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chaplaincolby

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject: differance between playing cornet and trumpet? Reply with quote

Just wondering what differences in playing and practicing on the cornet verses the trumpet you guys face? I'm a comeback player and I have been primarily playing a new to me 1970's vintage King 602 cornet with Yamaha 11e4 mouthpiece. I occasionally will switch to my 1994 vintage King 2055T trumpet and Yamaha 18c4 mouthpiece just to keep up with it. The transition to the trumpet from cornet is fairly quick, but then to switch back to cornet I can hardly make a sound and I miss many more notes than I hit and get a bad lip buzz. I just want to find out what problems you all struggle with when switching between the two horns.
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject: Mouthpiece Switch Reply with quote

The switch in mouthpieces may play a larger role in your case. Just MHO.
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject: mouthpiece Reply with quote

If you are happy with the cornet mouthpiece, either buy a the 11e trumpet mouthpiece or a cornet to trumpet mouthpiece adapter.
Vincent Bach 5 B short shank mouthpiece
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, your mouthpiece sizes are significantly different.. moving to the trumpet your going to a bigger piece (diameter) which for a short term can be an easy/quickly accomplished move. Then going back to a smaller piece will take some time. 18 is definitely in the extremely large neighborhood for a trumpet mouthpiece-I'd rethink this choice.

Two solutions - practice more and practice the move back and forth -get used to it.

Or IMO the better choice is to get a Yamaha 11C4 or 11B4 mouthpiece for the trumpet. This will afford you the same rim size, thus less of an adjustment period between the two.
There still will be some adjustments because of the contrast between the instruments (cornet to trumpet), but much less impact upon your chops.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the one mpc you like better in both horns.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

giakara wrote:
Use the one mpc you like better in both horns.

Regards

Exactly my view! I´ve struggled with this transition for a very long time - also because of the big differences in style; when trumpet lead, when cornet front row brassband. Eventually I solved it by a compromise - mouthpieces with the same rim, same diameter but different cup depths. This has been beneficial since practicing the one doesn´t harm the other, on the contrary I´ve found synergic effects! The trumpet mpc stresses focussing, the cornet mpc flexibility (said in broad terms).
In my case the different playing styles mean that I have to adapt to the settings in question. Leadtrumpet style in the brassband amounts to sacriledge....And front row style in the bigband - maybe in tender/dolce solos but but...sometimes I must sound heavy as lead
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I don't see a whole lot of point using the same model mouthpiece in both - there will still be a difference, but not enough of one to justify having the two horns.

Sticking to the same (or atleast similar) rim sizes and/or shapes will make the transition much easier even if your cornet piece has the deep-V shape that produces a more characteristic, stereotypical cornet tone.

Switching the cornet piece for a Yamaha 16E would probably be close enough (the 18 is pretty extreme, switching the trumpet piece to a 16C4 might be sensible also if you go that route).
OR
Switching the trumpet piece to an 11C4 or 11B4 would work, too.

Personally I'd probably go somewhere in between (around Yamaha 14, or maybe a Curry 3C and 3BBC pair)...
Depends what spending you can justify and which size feels best (or whether in-between would feel best)
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same rim size is a good general rule but ultimately the choice of cup shape and other parameters has to be which piece helps you get the sound you desire for the kind of playing you’re doing.

This may mean a lot of trial and error owing to the differences in trumpets and cornets but the feeling when you find the right combination makes the search worthwhile.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that has worked well for me (I play trumpet, cornet, flugelhorn, bass trumpet and now tuba):

I play a phrase or an exercise on one horn, put it down, pick up the next horn and play the same thing. Put that horn down, pick up the next horn and play the same thing, rotating through my instruments ad infinitum.

When I do this, my face gets used to recognizing the different horns and "automatically" adjusts whatever is necessary to get the right sound of the instrument I happen to have up to my face.

(Automatically in quotes above means that I have done it so many times that it has become automatic.)
chaplaincolby

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I was well aware of the differences in rim size. I've been away from playing for about 20 years and when I was playing regular I only played trumpet. The 18c4 became my favorite mouthpiece after trying several mouthpieces and gave me a nice big full sound and was not much harder to play than a 7c which I didn't like. I remember my instructor at the time recommended a Bach 3C, but I just could never get comfortable with it. I liked the Bach 1C but the Yamaha rim just felt better. The 2055T has always been an easy fun horn to play. The King 602 is the first cornet I have ever played so it is a whole new feel. I chose the 11e4 over the chipped King mouthpiece that came with the cornet as I already liked the Yamaha rim and seemed the standard for cornet. My plan is to play mainly for myself and I was looking for the nice mellow lyric voice I had heard that a cornet had. I hope to play a nice easy 3rd chair trumpet with the only community band here and a cornet for self and church.
trUMBet67
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeboppinFool wrote:

... my face gets used to recognizing the different horns and "automatically" adjusts whatever is necessary to get the right sound of the instrument I happen to have up to my face.

(Automatically in quotes above means that I have done it so many times that it has become automatic.)

This is one thing.
Also it's easier if you could get two settings that give you the same playing resistance, (saying it roughly).
Maybe would be easier with same rim, but I never know of a Yamaha 18 cornet mouthpiece, anyway...
Flugel: Getzen Eterna 895S-T
Cornet: Getzen Eterna 800 LB Copper,Conn 28A,B&H Imperial
Piccolo: Schilke Herald Bb/A
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not saying that there's any negative to using the same type mouthpiece, but I'm a firm believer that "the body follows the mind".

I have been a multi-instrumentalist for almost half a century and accept each instrument and mouthpiece as a stand-alone. That is, pairing each instrument/mouthpiece on its own merit. You can't match up, for example, a trombone mouthpiece with a cornet mouthpiece. Play each for its own merit. Same concept with closer mouthpieces such as cornet/trumpet or alto sax/tenor sax.

My cornet mouthpiece/instrument bear little relationship to my trumpet instrument-mouthpiece. The end result is my main concern.

I want to be perfectly clear. There is nothin wrong with matching up trumpet and cornet mouthpiece types to be compatible. But I personally feel there's too much time spent on hypotheticals (internet speculation) and just plain making the sound in your head, first, and having the associated elements following the lead concept.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also recommend that you stick with the Yamaha 4 rim that you say you like. I've spent a good portion of my playing life on Bach 3C size pieces but am not a huge fan Bach 3C. I think I have too much lip intrusion and it makes the tone too small. That's why I've got a Bach 3 rim on a Bach 1.5 underpart. More to the point, I have no trouble switching to a Yamaha 14 size. I played a 14B4 for a few years. I continue to play on a 14F4 on my flugal, and have had some success with the Yamaha 11B4 on my picc. I'm still working on what's best for the cornet but don't have any trouble using the Yamaha 14 and 11 size rims.

I don't doubt it's possible to navigate from the Yamaha 18 to the 11. But for otherwise similar horns I'm not sure there's much to be gained by the challenge. Why not close the gap by trying a Yamaha cornet 14 or 16 size rim (with the 4 shape)?
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Dutch Guy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First the most important question: what do you want to get out of the cornet? In many community bands, cornets and trumpets are used interchangeably, for the same parts. The difference in sound is thát small. It's the combination of a deep cornet mouthpiece, the slightly conical tubing, the choice of music/parts AND the playstyle that determine the trumpet vs cornet sound.

From one of your replies, you want to get the 'lyrical' cornet sound. OK. You'll have to make sure to get a cornet mouthpiece that facilitates it, so not a trumpet mouthpiece on a cornet shank. Then adjust your playstyle accordingly. Side note: I don't know either of the mouthpieces that you use. You may already have that.

Based on that, and as others suggested: get mouthpieces that have a similar feel on your face. Same brand, rim size etc. Just different cup. It's in no way necessary, but it could help. The fewer differences, the easier the switching should go.
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Curry mouthpieces Reply with quote

There is some interesting information on the Curry cornet mouthpiece website:
http://currympc.com/index.php?id=49
Vincent Bach 5 B short shank mouthpiece
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: