• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Remembering Bobby Pratt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
museltof

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:02 pm    Post subject: Remembering Bobby Pratt Reply with quote

Just found an old post about Bobby Pratt. Bobby was an outstanding British lead trumpet. In his time undoubtedly the best in Europe as a big band lead (he was with the Ted Heath band), He and his 'second' Bert Ezzard were both great players. Had a big influence on me (I am a 75 year old 'comeback' player). A number of years after Bobby's sad early death it was Derek Watkins (a fellow Welshman of mine), who was the top lead in Europe and with all due respect to Bobby, Derek was an even greater player with a Maynard-type range.

I also recall that at one time Bobby and Bert advertised for Conn - they both played Conn trumpets. Were they Conn 22B? For sure, they both had beautiful smooth tones.

Sonata Cornet

Bach Elkhart trumpet 100TR
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Remembering Bobby Pratt Reply with quote

museltof wrote:
Just found an old post about Bobby Pratt. Bobby was an outstanding British lead trumpet. In his time undoubtedly the best in Europe as a big band lead (he was with the Ted Heath band), He and his 'second' Bert Ezzard were both great players. Had a big influence on me (I am a 75 year old 'comeback' player). A number of years after Bobby's sad early death it was Derek Watkins (a fellow Welshman of mine), who was the top lead in Europe and with all due respect to Bobby, Derek was an even greater player with a Maynard-type range.

I also recall that at one time Bobby and Bert advertised for Conn - they both played Conn trumpets. Were they Conn 22B? For sure, they both had beautiful smooth tones.

Ted Heath had a powerful trumpet section!! Listen to the trumpets in Two O´clock Jump - Swing is King edition! Wow!!!!
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: