• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Doubling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Doubling Reply with quote

This season I’ll be playing baritone with the brass band. Band providing a Besson 955. Seems like a great instrument.

Just looking for any advice. Been shedding as much as possible. I’m excited about this new venture
tomba51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Doubling Reply with quote

Dennis78 wrote:
This season I’ll be playing baritone with the brass band. Band providing a Besson 955. Seems like a great instrument.

Just looking for any advice. Been shedding as much as possible. I’m excited about this new venture

Keep going back and forth between the two instruments. Play something on the trumpet, then play the same thing on the baritone. For example, play a C scale on the trumpet, then immediately play a Bb scale on the baritone (if you're reading bass clef. If you're playing treble clef baritone it'll be a C scale, just like on the trumpet). The fingerings will be the same, but the baritone will sound an octave lower than the trumpet. Keep going back and forth. Play something on the trumpet, then play the same thing on the baritone. Your embouchure might feel strange at first when going back to the trumpet after playing baritone, but if you keep going back and forth like I described, you'll get the hang of it soon enough.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the 955 is a 3-valve compensating instrument, so that should help with the tuning of multi-valve combinations . You will have to get used to the amount of valve up/down movement, and find a comfortable position to hold it.

For best tuning, I suggest playing scales in various major keys in order to hear (not by electronic tuner) if there are any odd sounding 'between note' intervals. It might be necessary to make small adjustments to the individual valve slides in order to find a setting that gives the best compromise.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
I did put the trumpet to my lips today and man it felt small!
Dutch Guy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a trumpet player and have started playing the trombone for the 3 years.

The most important thing: keeping your chops and technique takes twice as long when you play 2 instruments. What I mean with that is: Practicing one does not necessarily benefit the other too. You need to practice both. What often happens is that both instruments get half the practice time, and that's detrimental.

How you do it is up to you. Some people play both during the same practice session. I don't. On one day I usually only play 1 instrument, sometimes a single session of the 2nd because I have to master certain parts quickly, but usually I do one. Next day it's the other one.
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a good tip from "Iron Mike" Bogart at a TOP clinic some years ago.

Whenever you play the trombone (or in your case, euphonium), finish the session by playing the trumpet. End every practice session on trumpet, and warm-down on trumpet after trombone gigs. That advice has served me well. I also begin every day on trumpet.

I may not be among the best trumpet players, even less so on trombone, but when I take the low road once a year on euphonium, and trombone once in a while, I can switch back and forth readily, without causing any [additional] problems with my trumpet embouchure.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
starkadder
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will help you learn to move air, which will improve your sound..

It will also give you another sound concept.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a very similar thread not too long ago. I double a lot on bass trumpet - in fact I said in the other thread that I am now a bass trumpet player doubling on trumpet. Works very well for me and I have benefitted a lot from switching between the two horns - air, tongue, intonation, you name it ...
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
area51recording
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis78 wrote:
Thanks.
I did put the trumpet to my lips today and man it felt small!

Yeah! Back when I would double on baritone the trumpet mouthpiece felt like I was blowing into a thimble the first few bars....
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to double on Superbone. It took a few weeks to acclimate, but eventually I reached the point where I could play both horns on the same gig, sometimes even switching on the same tune a'la James Morrison/Mic Gillette (no, I didn't sound like either of those guys!).

I spent about a third of my practice time on the Superbone and managed to develop passable technique and a decent sound. It was fun.

Unfortunately I only have time for the trumpet now; I sold the Superbone many years ago. I still have a beater Olds Ambassador tenor trombone but it's pretty sad when I try to play it.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
oliver king
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Doubling Reply with quote

tomba51 wrote:
Dennis78 wrote:

Keep going back and forth between the two instruments. Play something on the trumpet, then play the same thing on the baritone. For example, play a C scale on the trumpet, then immediately play a Bb scale on the baritone (if you're reading bass clef. If you're playing treble clef baritone it'll be a C scale, just like on the trumpet). The fingerings will be the same, but the baritone will sound an octave lower than the trumpet. Keep going back and forth. Play something on the trumpet, then play the same thing on the baritone. Your embouchure might feel strange at first when going back to the trumpet after playing baritone, but if you keep going back and forth like I described, you'll get the hang of it soon enough.

I've been doing this for the past few weeks on trombone. I've transposed the first few exercises in Caruso's MCFB to bass clef, I've Cichowicz' Long Tones and Flow Studies in bass clef and Bai Lin's 'Lip Flexibilities'. I'll start on trombone and work my way through the flugel horn and then trumpet. As has already been mentioned, I think I'm moving air better. The biggest down side is there are still only 24 hours in a day. Adding new instruments to the practice day makes for a longer day.
LB Bel Canto #59
Holton B47
Frankenhorn projects 1-5
Adams F1
Olds Super Tenor Trombone
Alesis QS8
B2MS3, B2GS3,
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far so good. Practiced my tail off and audition went very well! Luckily in a BBB all the music is in treble clef so I can read it. Definitely a different animal but I’m excited about this season
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: