• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Developing anchor tonging - a game changer?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brassmusician
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:27 pm    Post subject: Developing anchor tonging - a game changer? Reply with quote

Week two of switching to anchor tonguing or K-T modified and just wanted to share results and maybe anyone who has been through this can comment. So I didn't find it hard to switch and got a fairly clean articulation with tip of tongue behind lower teeth straight away. Doing this pushed my jaw forward without me thinking about it - something my last teacher recommended but I never tried. Immediate improvement in tone (I think), less bright. Improvement in flexibility. Most of pressure transferred to lower lip, I suspect my endurance has improved since upper lip not being squashed so much. Draw back is upper register is harder, seem to have lost some range although I think it should come back.

For now I am working on lots of tonguing - especially ku attacks which seem to clean up the anchor tonguing nicely (thanks for your vid on this Eric Bolvin). Plus starting to use my tongue to facilitate slurring intervals.

Any suggestions/advice welcome
Wick 2BFL
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello
great !
maybe, for your upper register issue, first concentrate on finding the slots, without blowing too much air, but playing at a very soft clean and clear volume.
maybe you're arching too much and obstruct the air flow ?
about the word "anchoring", no doubt John Mohan will give you more and precise info on the matter and term
best
digs
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switching to KTM is one of the best things I’ve ever done for my playing. Stick with it, lots of practice on articulations. Lots of staccato practice helped me. I did not experience the jaw thing you are describing.
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might find this post helpful.
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW- I'd suggest you learn to use "DOO" in a connected, legato motion as a starting point, with the "fat part" of your middle tongue (back from the tip) gently pressing outwardly against your upper molars. I'd also suggest you check out the text and explanation in the old Irons "27 Groups..." book. The syllabic interplay is quite important. Once you're getting the hang of this you can move to different tonguing effects such as staccato, accent, etc. Tonguing the Irons arpeggios, and moving up and down with the tongue rather than lip tension changes will further reinforce things. Take your time, don't push it, when you get the "hang" of it you'll know it. Good luck.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Developing anchor tonging - a game changer? Reply with quote

brassmusician wrote:
.......Immediate improvement in tone (I think), less bright. ........
........Any suggestions/advice welcome

I know this is off topic and nit-picky, but it sort of sounds like you’re equating “improvement” with “less bright.” If that’s your opinion, ok, but personally I don’t equate tone color with tone quality.

Just my dos centavos, pardon the thread derailment.😎

Brad
brassmusician
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Developing anchor tonging - a game changer? Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
brassmusician wrote:
.......Immediate improvement in tone (I think), less bright. ........
........Any suggestions/advice welcome

I know this is off topic and nit-picky, but it sort of sounds like you’re equating “improvement” with “less bright.” If that’s your opinion, ok, but personally I don’t equate tone color with tone quality.

Just my dos centavos, pardon the thread derailment.😎

Brad

yep point taken. I quite like getting a darker tone, I was getting quite a bright sound out of my yamaha 16c4 and now I don't need another mouthpiece....maybe.
Wick 2BFL
Anonytrumpet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Developing anchor tonging - a game changer? Reply with quote

brassmusician wrote:
...especially ku attacks which seem to clean up the anchor tonguing nicely (thanks for your vid on this Eric Bolvin)....

Interesting to hear about your experience.

To what Bolvin video are you referring? (Could you please provide a link?) I would love to check it out.

Thanks
brassmusician
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric Bolvin on KTM modified or anchor tonguing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep9Xj78AH1s
Wick 2BFL
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using KTM for a long time now. Works fine for me, though I wouldn't say it works "better" for me than traditional tonguing; more like equally effective.

Some years ago I brought up KTM during a lesson with Steve Hendrickson, longtime principal trumpet of the National Symphony Orchestra. His articulation always wowed me, and so I asked about it while we were working on something (Carmen, I think). He said that he'd noted only one difference between students/colleagues who used KTM compared to those who used traditional tonguing: Those who used traditional tonguing were capable of a more "percussive" attack than those who used KTM. Otherwise, no difference in rapidity, evenness, clarity, etc.
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point from Dayton; it'll be then useful to use both tongueing according to the result you want.

From my experience, ktm help me greatly to tongue more accurate, precise and faster in the higher register, mostly double and triple tongueing

best
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: