• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Dinner Theater Audition Material

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schilkes22
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:04 am    Post subject: Dinner Theater Audition Material Reply with quote

As part of the audition process, the MD wants a tape of Me playing.(duh!) I haven't auditioned in 20 years. He (of course) wants samples of Me playing excerpts from musicals(preferably) of different styles. How do I get excerpts to use if it is illegal to copy it? I've searched and can't find any helpful info. I'm a little embarrassed that I had to ask here, but I really want this job and don't want to be a P.I.T.A. to the MD who is probably really busy.
Thanks,
Warburton Mouthpieces
Berklee '95
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don’t stress out over this. Chances are the MD just wants to hear how well you play and how you would interpret some musical theatre favorites. Go to a music store and get a collection of broadway favs like Hal Leonard’s Broadway Favorites, pick out three that contrast and play the heck out of them. Keep the tape/file short. The first 30 seconds will win you the job.

Good luck!

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM me your email address.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim has a lot of experience playing shows and so does another TH member, John Mohan. I'm sure they'll both be good sources of advice and maybe be able to hook you up with some parts.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Schilkes22
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim comes through... Again!
Thanks for the help.
Warburton Mouthpieces
Berklee '95
superviking805
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At ITG2019 Adrian Kelly gave a lecture and demonstrated selections from his new book "8 Theatrical Studies for Trumpet & Piano", exactly what you are asking for.

From the website:
This set of etudes was composed to provide the trumpet player with a means to develop the technical facility required for performing in musical theatre productions. Complete with play-along recordings these are a complete unique entry in the trumpet study repertoire.

The etudes assume a certain level of technical proficiency is already possessed by the trumpeter and are intended to supplement a well-rounded practice routine such as those of Thibaud, Adam, Caruso, or Stamp.

Each etude presents a number of challenges derived from an analysis of trumpet parts taken from the canon of musical theatre scores in regular production around the world. Careful study of this set of etudes will develop the articulation, intervallic playing, range, finger technique, rhythmic security, intonation, and flexibility required to perform in musical theatre productions to the highest standard.

While many benefits can be gained from practicing the etudes alone, it is highly recommended that the etudes be performed wth the included piano accompaniment in order to maximise the benefits contained within – particularly rhythmic security and intonation.

In the samples to the left you will see descriptions of each etude as well as an excerpt from the solo part and piano score of the first etude. After taking a look at the samples, click above for an immediate PDF download.

http://www.adriankelly.com/
Schilkes22
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Tim. I sent You an Email.

Thank You Superviking for the Adrian Kelly suggestion. It will be ordered shortly.

I've been asked to sub in a few times to see how it goes. MD liked my submission.

Wheeler
Warburton Mouthpieces
Berklee '95
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: