• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How to Find the Best Orchestral Mouthpiece for Me?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BbTrumpet1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Find the Best Orchestral Mouthpiece for Me? Reply with quote

Jerry wrote:
BbTrumpet1 wrote:
because my range was very strong and full. He said my sound improved. However, I feel like it brightened my sound.

1) Having a strong, full range is a good thing.
2) Many of the orchestral players we strive to emulate have bright sounds.
3) If you are evaluating your sound from behind the horn, then you're not getting an accurate assessment of what you sound like in the hall.
4) What does your amazing teacher say about how you sound on the various mouthpieces you're experimenting with?

Hi, thanks for your opinions! I ended up ordering a 1 1/2C and love it so far. The upper register feels so easy and free with it, as opposed to feeling like I was being choked in a way with the 3C and 3D. However, the sound is very dark. I have always been told that playing with a “bright” sound is a bad thing but I’ve also had some questionable directors!

I will find out what he thinks tomorrow. Like I said, he is new to me and I am also student teaching among being in to ensembles and teaching 30 + private students/week. Unfortunately, we have to meet bi-weekly, but I’ll have an opinion soon.
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will likely be some sort of "why did I choose this piece" issue in the near future. Everything that felt so good will not seem as easy or "right".
It is just a readjustment period once the newness wears off a bit and will go away.
You should have no problem after that.
R. Tomasek
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: How to Find the Best Orchestral Mouthpiece for Me? Reply with quote

BbTrumpet1 wrote:
Hi, thanks for your opinions! I ended up ordering a 1 1/2C and love it so far. The upper register feels so easy and free with it, as opposed to feeling like I was being choked in a way with the 3C and 3D. However, the sound is very dark. I have always been told that playing with a “bright” sound is a bad thing but I’ve also had some questionable directors!

In my experience, the Bach 1.5C does produce a fairly rich tone with lots of lower harmonics which may lead a player to consider it a dark piece. And this aspect is certainly more pronounced when compared to the typical 3C which routinely doesn't have the depth of tone. But the 1.5C's rich lower end rarely tells the whole story. The 1.5C can simultaneously have a brilliance about it. Don't discount that.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart

Last edited by cheiden on Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: How to Find the Best Orchestral Mouthpiece for Me? Reply with quote

BbTrumpet1 wrote:
...However, the sound is very dark. I have always been told that playing with a “bright” sound is a bad thing but I’ve also had some questionable directors!

I can understand that a band director might not a want a bright sound from his trumpet section, especially if he's imagining a cornet sound in his head.

However, the sound I like to hear from an orchestral trumpet player is a ringing, bell-like sound. I'd say the predominant sound of an American orchestral trumpet player today is bright.
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like the vast majority of conversations follow this same format:

OP: I need a mouthpiece for *this* style.
Response 1: I like X mouthpiece for said style.
Response 2: Such and such awesome trumpeter uses X mouthpiece.
Response 3: I have X mouthpiece and I love it.
Response 4: I hate X mouthpiece.
Response 5: I used to have an unobtainium vintage version of X mouthpiece but I sold it and now I play a Bach 3C. I'll never sound that good again...
OP: I bought X mouthpiece and I guess it's okay but I don't like the way it...

The conversation should definitely focus more on what you're interested in listening to change.
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its any help, I migrate up and down a bit in size but due to the physical structure of my lips I can't make a decent sound on anything less than a 3 rim. For orchestral playing I have always used deeper mouthpieces regardless of diameter. I have also varied backbore to help with intonation on different instruments.

I suggest you have a look through this:

https://storkcustom.com/how-your-lips-dictate-your-mouthpiece-choice/

At least that article takes a scientific approach to the issue.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: