• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

MaynardFerguson! with the NY Philharmonic in 1959 ON DEM aud

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexwill
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject: MaynardFerguson! with the NY Philharmonic in 1959 ON DEM aud Reply with quote

Scroll to the WILLIAM RUSSO SYMPHONY NO. 2, THE "TITANS" and click on movement 4!! He only plays on the last movement!
HERE:
https://nyphil.org/watch-listen/audio/broadcasts/1718/bernstein-centenary-part-4-playlist-one

MAKE SURE TO READ ABOUT THIS RECORDING HERE:
http://www.angelfire.com/ca/mferguson/NYPhil.html
New York Philharmonic Orchestra LPs with Maynard Ferguson
THE NEW YORK PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA, WILLIAM RUSSO SYMPHONY NO. 2, THE "TITANS" -- Voice of America USC-99
Back in 1959, Maynard was guest soloist with the NY Philharmonic Orchestra for four performances of William Russo's Symphony No. 2 "Titans." Russo, better known to most of us as "Bill" Russo, was a member of Maynard's band and arranged a number of jazz charts for him. When he wrote "Titans" for the NY Phil, he had Maynard in mind for the trumpet solo, and indeed, Maynard got the gig. In 1960, Voice of America pressed a few radio station transcription LPs of this performance for use in their radio stations in Europe. (Since they were for radio station use, only, they did not come in picture covers -- just generic sleeves.) For 40+ years, you could only get this performance on one of these LPs, and they were not in the hands of the public until 4 copies were purchased from a record dealer in the Washington, D.C. area in 1993. Then, a couple of years ago, the New York Philharmonic released this performance of "Titans" as part of a 10-CD set for $195.00. They also released Maynard's track on a cheaper sampler CD. Indeed, Maynard only plays on ONE track -- Movement IV of "Titans." So, unless you're an ULTRA serious MF collector, buy the 10-CD set or buy the CD sampler which I have listed on my site and don't sweat getting this rare radio station transcription LP. But if you want THE ULTIMATE MF LP, then this is it. Until June, 2013, I had been able to track down exactly 4 known copies of this LP -- the ones mentioned above. Copy 1, which I acquired in 2002, is in my personal collection, and it cost me $700.00. It's autographed by Maynard. Copy 2 (not autographed) was purchased then resold by me in 2003 for $850.00 and it now resides in New Jersey. Copy 3 (not autographed) was purchased, then resold by me in 2003 for $900.00 and now resides in California. Copy 4 remains in the hands of the gentleman who made the original purchase in 1993, in the greater Washington, D.C. area, and he has stated that he will only sell for somewhere in four figures. In June, 2013, the same record dealer who sold the first four copies sold two more copies (to me), making a total of 6 known copies in private hands. He claims that he has no more. So given that there are now only 6 known, and the one known source appears to have dried up, this LP is something like 2000 times rarer than the Ballad Style of MF LP. I subsequently sold these two newly found copies the next day after I received them. Copy 5 (not autographed) now resides in Tennessee. Copy 6 (not autographed), now resides in Delaware. Copy 6 sold for $1200.00. So, as you can see, these are getting more expensive as time rolls on. Given their extreme rarity and desirability, it's no wonder.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Recordings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: