• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Recording multitracks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dutch Guy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:30 am    Post subject: Recording multitracks Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I had this idea that I would like record some music at home. Specifically, I want to record all parts myself. The problem is, I know nothing about this kind of stuff. I saw some people recording quartets and quintets and so, that's essentially what I want to do, just not necessarily with the video, and more parts. Think 4 trumpet parts, 3 trombone parts, 2 euphonium parts, 1 sousaphone part, and perhaps saxophone parts on flugelhorn and drums. So essentially a whole band. I really want to do it all by myself, so no hiring a sound guy. I have no budget except what I need to get started. Preferably the cheapest good option, if you know what I mean.

I got the sheet music, and I can play the trumpet flugelhorn, trombone and euphonium. I have a windows PC, and would like to know what else I need to do this relatively cheap.

I guess I would need a microphone and a way to connect it to the PC. Any suggestions? Keeping in mind it should cover at the very least the range of trumpet and trombone, and later perhaps bass or sousaphone. Drums would be nice too, but not at all necessary. Price is definitely important.
Is a usb microphone the way to go? Or some kind of interface? Remember: I know nothing. I read stuff about a Shure sm58 which is acceptably priced combined with a usb converter that seem to work well. Or would a USB microphone be better/cheaper?

And then the software: I saw that Seb Skelly (trumpet player on youtube) did a tutorial video, and uses Logic Pro X which is for Mac. Is there anything with an easy learning curve that does the same thing? Functions that he uses are among others a pitch correction, a gate, EQ, and vocal transformer (to lower octaves). I prefer cheap, easy learning curve and good tutorials. BUT it's important that these functions mentioned above are in it! I already have Audacity, but I don't think it's very easy to do these things in it.

Any help is appreciated!
Gonzalez
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only 8 tracks, but check out the amazing iZotope Spire!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: