• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Martin clean out and red spot fix?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leeway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject: Martin clean out and red spot fix? Reply with quote

Hope I'm putting this in the right place! It's a very basic question.

My Committee is an early Kenosha horn, made in the 70s before they were radically redesigned.

I played it for years in Jazz bands and then my playing moved to other instruments and styles and the Martin sat in its case for about 15 years.

I'm getting back into it and would like to give the ole girl a spruce up, clean it out and maybe put a halt to any corrosion problems that could be looming.

It's in overall fantastic condition, but I'm noticing copper coloured spots appearing here and there, especially at the bend In the tuning slide coming through the original lacquer.

This worries me, I dont want to end up with holes in my horn.

Can I get some suggestions for a good method to clean out good horn with years of gunk through it and maybe a remedy to at least arrest the corrosion problem?
stumac
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use around 7% CLR solution, 1 liter CLR in 15 liters water, soak the horn in this for 1/2 hour and scrub out with a snake brush, may need several cycles if heavily corroded. CLR diluted is not too aggressive, I have left a silver plated mouthpiece in for 6 days (forgot it) with no ill effect.

Do the spots on the bow have a black dot in the center? this is the classic red rot coming through from the inside, keep clean and dry with a swab after use will stop further progression.

Regards, Stuart,
Leeway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Stuart! So the diluted CLR wont attack the lacquer by soaking?

Luckily no black dots (phew!) and Ive given the bow the ol' block and suck test and no apparent leaks.

Time to get a snake and start keeping her clean and dry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: