• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Help with choosing a cornet

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a big difference in price between the Bach 184 and the Getzen 800, even the 3850 is much cheaper than the Bach. So even your second hand price is (for a cornet) on the high side, I have seen excellent Getzen Eterna's gone for around 800/900 bucks. I bought mine for 250 euro, ok, with some damage.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a large bore Bach 184 with the gold brass bell option. It has a really nice sound and works well in brass band with a Wick 4 mouthpiece, and in concert band settings with a Bach 1-1/2C mouthpiece. I'm not suggesting you use those mouthpieces, but I just mentioned them for perspective. That said, I'd give the Getzen 3850 a serious look. I like it better than the Getzen 800, and it's a little more "cornetty" than my Bach. The Bach has "the Bach Sound", though, which is a plus. I haven't posted a pic of the Bach in a long while, so close your eyes if you don't want to see it...lol

trUMBet67
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil Smith plays (or played) a Getzen Eterna..

p.s. I got mine, w/ copper bell, like new, for something 650€.
Flugel: Getzen Eterna 895S-T
Cornet: Getzen Eterna 800 LB Copper,Conn 28A,B&H Imperial
Piccolo: Schilke Herald Bb/A
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I admit that I never played a Bach cornet, they may be great. But I know for sure that I love my Eterna.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NordicNorm:

Just a thought - get on e-Bay and find a YCR2310 (not the YCR2310ii) in reasonable condition. I see them under $200 US. Give it to your local tech to get the slides and valves moving well and an approximate valve alignment. Maybe another $150.

Stick a Bach 3, 7B, 7, 7A in and give it a try. The long model receiver will accept mouthpieces that you are used to and it will NOT sound like your Strad. (This avoids the complication of also getting used to a Wicks mpc.)

The older . 463 bore Yamaha student cornets are really very good - good enough to get you through your orchestra gig this fall. If you have not played larger bore cornets before, there may be an acclimation period involved. (Some trumpet players get tired on cornet because they keep overblowing to put an edge in the sound.)

You now have a good reference cornet for your search for a professional large bore BB horn rather than comparing it to your Strad.

(Yeah I know - you could get a YCR 2330 shepherds crook but then you also need to get used to short shank mouthpieces at the same time.)
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:
NordicNorm:

Just a thought - get on e-Bay and find a YCR2310 (not the YCR2310ii) in reasonable condition. I see them under $200 US. Give it to your local tech to get the slides and valves moving well and an approximate valve alignment. Maybe another $150.

Stick a Bach 3, 7B, 7, 7A in and give it a try. The long model receiver will accept mouthpieces that you are used to and it will NOT sound like your Strad. (This avoids the complication of also getting used to a Wicks mpc.)

The older . 463 bore Yamaha student cornets are really very good - good enough to get you through your orchestra gig this fall. If you have not played larger bore cornets before, there may be an acclimation period involved. (Some trumpet players get tired on cornet because they keep overblowing to put an edge in the sound.)

You now have a good reference cornet for your search for a professional large bore BB horn rather than comparing it to your Strad.

(Yeah I know - you could get a YCR 2330 shepherds crook but then you also need to get used to short shank mouthpieces at the same time.)

I had one (the 0.463 bore) and they are great.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll concur - I've played a Yamaha 2310 before and it was a good playing cornet with a really mellow cornet sound.
NordicNorm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:
NordicNorm:

Just a thought - get on e-Bay and find a YCR2310 (not the YCR2310ii) in reasonable condition.

Thanks for your thoughts Andy!
Cornet: ‘84 Bach Strad 184 Shepherd’s Crook
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following this thread is making me wish I could send out a new 800DLX cornet to everyone voting for the 800 Eterna just to see the feedback. I know this will sound like typical salesman speak, but the new Deluxe blows away the 800 in every way.

Come on, somebody on here has to be within driving distance of Elkhorn right?

Follow Getzen on:
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/getzencompany/

Twitter https://twitter.com/GetzenCompany

If you have a question please feel free to email me at brett@getzen.com.
NordicNorm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getzen wrote:
Following this thread is making me wish I could send out a new 800DLX cornet to everyone voting for the 800 Eterna just to see the feedback. I know this will sound like typical salesman speak, but the new Deluxe blows away the 800 in every way.

Sadly, I'm a 13.5 hour drive away (according to Google Maps)...[/img]
NordicNorm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
https://www.palm.be/nl/dehoorn/beers/22/cornet

Now you're speaking my language!

I was in Amsterdam in August and saw the Count Basie Orchestra perform at the Royal Concertgebouw. Sublime. By some strange coincidence, Adam Rapa was in the audience as well.
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getzen wrote:

Will it be available in the vendor section at NABBA for trial?
Adam R. Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis78 wrote:
Getzen wrote:

Will it be available in the vendor section at NABBA for trial?

Getzen will be at NABBA.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:
NordicNorm:

Had this post in mind at my last upstart BBB rehearsal. A player came in with some short shank Wick pieces. One player got along on them well enough but I really struggled. I'm likely to take your advise in case I get to add a cornet to my collection and try to stick with a horn that doesn't require the short shank.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
NordicNorm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:
NordicNorm:

Just a thought - get on e-Bay and find a YCR2310 (not the YCR2310ii) in reasonable condition.

Just to close off this thread, I’ve taken Andy’s advice and bought a Yamaha YCR2310 off eBay (for CAD $180).

Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond!
NordicNorm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:
NordicNorm:

If I understand your post correctly, you’re saying I can use a trumpet mouthpiece in this cornet? Or have I misunderstood?
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, but the Bach long shank cornet mouthpieces are trumpet cups with a cornet shank.
NordicNorm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
No, but the Bach long shank cornet mouthpieces are trumpet cups with a cornet shank.

Ah! Ok, thanks!
trUMBet67
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getzen wrote:

some ocean in between...

Flugel: Getzen Eterna 895S-T
Cornet: Getzen Eterna 800 LB Copper,Conn 28A,B&H Imperial
Piccolo: Schilke Herald Bb/A
Philip Smith

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played my Getzen Eterna 800 since the mid 1970s. I still love it today. Any instrument responds to what you put into it. As to a British cornet sound, watch, listen and read the words as my Dad plays his Eterna many years ago. He is British and knows cornet!!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hgHFHvhfcT8
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: