• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Martin Indiana - any good?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leeway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:59 am    Post subject: Martin Indiana - any good? Reply with quote

I've been offered this horn. It's a Martin Indiana with the Chiefs head. Owner says it's late 50s, large bore, in excellent order with very free valves and plays beautifully. Wants around $300

I'm thinking it might be a good second horn. Are these any good?

Last edited by Leeway on Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Leeway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Leeway on Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:13 am; edited 2 times in total
Leeway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img][/img]
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these any good? How does one go about answering that question as to any trumpet? What are the parameters of "good?" It's a very personal thing.

Personally, I'm not very discriminating when it comes to trumpets. If it's a decent horn in good working condition I'm fine with it. I just adapt to whatever is there.

Other players are more particular in varying degrees so what's "good" or at least "OK" to me might be "horrible" to them.

So, I don't think you can rely on the responses with absolute confidence.

The best method is to play test the horn and draw your own conclusions. Certainly the brand and model are reputable. There's no way for us to evaluate the mechanics but, if the mechanics are OK, I'd probably be OK with this horn.
Leeway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Hermokiwi! I realise it's a pretty personal thing as to what horns we like and dont, which ones are up to scratch and which ones arent. I guess I'm trying to tease out some first hand experience with this particular era of the Indiana. I've seen very good reviews on these and others that flatly reject them. I suppose the price is another area I'd like to hear about, whether this is about right for this particular example.

I'm confident I would be happy with it as a 2nd horn for practise and being a genuine Elkhart made Martin is something nice too. As for a try out play, that's going to be tricky as its on the other side of the continent I live on, so a seemingly trustworthy description and some pictures is going to be all I get.

I think the price is alright as it seems to be a good one, the owner played a tune that requires the valves to be in working order over the phone for me and there was no hint of anything wrong. I've seen these advertised for $200 in the US and for up to $500 elsewhere. And shipping to my neighbourhood would add another $100 to that. .

I suppose some discussion on the merits of the late 50s Indiana vs the older ones, or the RMCs for that matter would be interesting. I'd love a 40s one but I would imagine they are fewer and farther between.
chapahi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one that was a complete dog. Way out of tune and out of balance. There are probably good ones. I understand they were meant to be marching band horns. 300 is a fair price if it's a good player.
Graysen Winters

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one at an antique store a few weeks ago (the serial number says it's from 1959) and although the valves are a little sticky, I like it. Mine plays well, but from what I've read they vary in quality. As chapahi said, they were intended to be the Martin company's student/marching line. If you have the opportunity to test it before buying, I highly recommend it. I hope it works out for you!
Zman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short answer is yes. They are good.
The long answer is a bit more complicated as there are various models and variants using the Indiana name. The model pictured is one I typically avoid as I feel there are better options in the line that spans 30-40 years. Though these were 'student' horns there are a few that I would say are the Martin equivalent to the LA Ambassador. The valves are build solid (except that sticking mentioned above - that's a common fault and usually means the slides need to be looked at as the casing has likely flexed a bit - should be a quick job for a decent tech).
I have information, sound samples and reviews of these horns on my Brasscellar YouTube channel where I cover both the cornet and the trumpet options. I am awaiting the arrival of my new Indiana Band Instrument Company models to do videos on those also.
HC Committee #2
HC Imperial #3 LB & #4 XL Bore
Deluxe Committee Bb, C & Eb
Taylor Chicago II Lite

www.thebrasscellar.com
www.facebook.com/thebrasscellar
www.youtube.com/channel/UCZk1sIuyVsQzrbsl7HfIfKw/
Leeway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zman, did they come in different bore sizes?

A guy I know has three, a Chieftain, an earlier one with the feltless top caps and an RMC era one.
He says the Chieftain is the most free blowing of them, which makes me wonder if this one is a larger bore.

Seems there is quite a bit of variation in even the individual models as some say the Chieftain they had was great and others say different.

Playing my Committee has gote me used to a big bore and smaller bore horns feel stuffy to me now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: