• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Changing cup ID or to not change - that is the question?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
daveboa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject: Changing cup ID or to not change - that is the question? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
Not posted here often but wanted to ask and get opinions about cup IDs/upper register.
There seems to be some players who move easily between different mouthpieces with different cup IDs and there are also those that strongly believe you shouldn’t change your rim. They think one should stick to the same rim and change only the other variables (cup depth, backbore, throat, etc). I was wondering specifically about the upper register players who think you need a smaller ID for upper register playing. Do you guys think it’s equally ok to have a wider ID with a shallower cup and tighter backbore for the upper register? I’ve been playing a Bob Reeves 1.5 classical rim on his S692s underpart. I also have a Reeves 43.5 with various cup depths which has worked well. Recently I though I’d try a Marc Shew 1.5 and it just doesn’t feel as good. Whenever I try a smaller ID my lips feel much more fatigued and incredibly tight after a gig sometimes to the point where I can’t get a decent note out of the horn. I don’t have a great upper register, (never have) but am working on it and was wondering which direction to go in (if any) regarding cup ID.
Any opinions/advice is welcome and just wanted some experienced opinions.
Thanks everyone.
B. Scriver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you look at Inside Diameter you that is only one parameter. There are 12 parameters just for the rim. Most often a much higher alpha angle will make the ID feel smaller. There are a lot more things to consider.

" I try a smaller ID my lips feel much more fatigued and incredibly tight after a gig sometimes to the point where I can’t get a decent note out of the horn."

This indicates an alpha angle issue.

Gary Radtke
www.grmouthpieces.com
brassmusician
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion if you are trying to develop your upper register, do it on your usual mouthpiece. Others will have a different take but if you are like me you won't get any more range on a smaller mouthpiece than you have on your reeves classical for example, so why switch? If you already had a lead mouthpiece that worked and were using it for gigs then it would be different.
Wick 2BFL
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello
i play several mpcs, all with the same ID and contour. Of course, like they have different cups, they feel a little bit different, but in no way is problematic.
my range is the same on each one, from my lead one to my deep flug mpc.
If things worked well with your 43 and its various combinations, stay with these, and keep on practicing, have lessons with a competent teacher.
best
daveboa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for your input. Much appreciated.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's my sense that most players can play on pieces within a range of sizes. Going to the larger side, range and endurance get persistently harder even though the sound and facility may feel very satisfying. Going to the small end of that range may facilitate playing near the top of your range somewhat. Going smaller than that rarely works for long.

Though it's been said, mouthpiece size can never be distilled to an ID measured at some arbitrary point into the cup. It's always a product of the general rim size and heavily influenced by the shape.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart

Last edited by cheiden on Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
daveboa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’d be interested to know what the alpha angle is (roughly) on the Marc Shew 1.5? I think I just find larger IDs more comfortable. I seem to have quite a wide embouchure spread when I form my aperture and don’t roll in at all, so seem to struggle with smaller IDs. Does Bob Reeves have more undercut’ on the 43.5 rims and cups? I can play one of his 43.5 ES cups no problem and I never bottom out or feel tight. It feels very comfortable and easy to play. Also, for me, my sound on the Shew 1.5 is very thin compared to the Reeves ES. The difference in tone is huge.
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daveboa wrote:
I’d be interested to know what the alpha angle is (roughly) on the Marc Shew 1.5? I think I just find larger IDs more comfortable. I seem to have quite a wide embouchure spread when I form my aperture and don’t roll in at all, so seem to struggle with smaller IDs. Does Bob Reeves have more undercut’ on the 43.5 rims and cups? I can play one of his 43.5 ES cups no problem and I never bottom out or feel tight. It feels very comfortable and easy to play. Also, for me, my sound on the Shew 1.5 is very thin compared to the Reeves ES. The difference in tone is huge.

hello
on Shew, it's a high alpha angle.
if i can precise one thing, how open is the aperture or at an extreme negative degree a spread embouchure, as nothing to do wether or not you 'd be a roll in or roll out type player.
i suggest you to practice a good part of your session pp, but not pinching or closing too much the aperture, check your alignment through the whole range with the Costello palm exercice, and have lesson with teachers experts in aperture control such as Bobby Shew & Roger Ingram.
One your technic is correct, the choice of a mpc is more evident.
best
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: