• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Looking for another lead mouthpiece

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trento.bento

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: Looking for another lead mouthpiece Reply with quote

So an old friend gave me a Shilke 14a4a because he knew I wanted to try out a lead mouthpiece for lead part. The Shilke 14a4a for me allowed me to hit notes in the upper range but it sounded very pinched and thin to me. Maybe it's because I have an undeveloped embouchure or because I have rather large lips. Before I used the Shilke 14a4a, I used a Bach 1 1/2 C and Curry 1 1/2 C for everything, including lead pieces. Those pieces worked fine for as I got the sound I wanted in the upper ranges. The only problem with those pieces was that I could only achieve those notes for a short amount of time.

In short, I am looking for a mouthpiece that will allow me to achieve full sound in the upper registers.

I am thinking about a Curry 60m, thoughts?
petersenpbiker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend on a 66M, and another on a 65S. They really like them. I'm currently using a GR 66S-Z. I've also used the lead piece from Horntrader.com which I liked.
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to play a shallow cup you need to train your lips to not intrude into the cup. That is why it would sound thin. That takes a while, bt its great for your chops, sound, and improves your sound on cups that are not shallow. Less lip intrusion is generally good
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been on the same Curry 60M for more than 10 years, and it works for most everything. And yes, if you can keep your chops out of the thing to some degree, your sound fills out and there's more than enough resistance built into it to help with the higher register. Truly less about the mpc than the technique, but it's a GREAT mpc.

ed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: