• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Good earplugs for trumpet players?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sauer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject: Good earplugs for trumpet players? Reply with quote

I'm kind of on the lookout for some sort of earplugs that will not muffle the sound when I play my horn. Being in a band that's really loud is starting to take effect on my ears. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on what kind of ear plugs they use? Or, why they don't use any.

Thanks.
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent earplugs are available from: http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx

The link is to their generic-fit High Fidelity earplugs. The same company also makes custom-fit Musicians Earplugs: http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/erme.aspx

I have the generic and they are very good.

Be aware that any earplugs will muffle your sound. It may work better to use earphones/monitor.

Last edited by veery715 on Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Matthew Anklan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using Hearos for several years. They are wonderful!!! They come in several strengths so you can choose the amount of decibel reduction appropriate for your situation. I usually keep two pairs in my case, one that is very strong and one that is a little more forgiving.

The great thing about the Hearos is that they maintain the quality of sound, it's just like everyone turned down a lot! Like when you put your finger in your ear, you do get the inner voice sound while playing by yourself, but as soon as you're on the bandstand, you won't even notice it. Usually bands play loud enough that you can't hear the inner voice, so that won't negatively affect you.

For less than $20 you can't beat them.
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx

They are available on Amazon for about $10.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By all means, do protect your hearing. I play with a rock band and sometimes get put right next to an amp, speaker or the drummer, when that happens I use my generic Etymotic plugs. Most of the time I just need to use one plug on the side closest to the offending noise source. I don't enjoy wearing the plugs but it's the smart thing to do. Even better would be to try and participate in the setup so that you don't get put right next to something really loud. With modern sound reinforcement there's really no need for it to be crazy loud on stage. Try and help the band get smart about monitoring. It'll save your chops AND your ears.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Wondra
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some hearing loss so take hearing protection very seriously. I went to the local audiologist and was fitted for musician plugs that use the etymotic system mentioned above. This system doesn't muffle the sound; rather it decreases the decibels evenly across the sound spectrum. The plugs have removable buttons that can be changed out depending on the extent to which you want to reduce sound levels (9, 15 or 25 decibels). I find that the 9 decibel buttons do the trick for most playing situations.

They work great - I use them while practicing as well. It does take a while to get used to hearing your horn through the vibrations in your head - try playing with plugs in your ears and you'll know what I mean.

Last comment about this system - the plugs need to fit securely in your ear canal - any sound leaks around the plugs and you won't hear cleanly. I've needed to have a few plugs remade in order to get it right.

Don't make me get the flying monkeys...
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westone's Musician's Earplugs are the best around.

A little expensive compared to regular plugs, but you get full frequency range, just at a lower db level.

You'll need to go to an ear doctor to be fitted, but that shouldn't cost much if anything.

www.westone.com/

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
Pete Anderson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jadickson wrote:
http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx

They are available on Amazon for about $10.

I'll throw in another vote for these. They aren't even close to perfect, but they're the best generic option I've tried and they are worlds better than plain old foam ear plugs.
connicalman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hearos makes several grades of foam and other earplugs. I've used one or another type for twenty-three years, and am glad to have found Hearos about 5 years ago, as they are comfortable and do the trick. For me.

Why do I need them if what I'm doing is non-amplified church work and community band? Remember the girl group that sang: "It's Raining Men, (Halelujiah)"? Well, they opened for Eddie Murphy on his 'Raw' tour in 1986. For their last number, all three (four?) of 'em hit some snaggled high loud note and RIIIIIIP went my left eardrum.

Far enough away, almost in the back row, of the furthest section, I could barely see them. Not that they were hard to see. Ever since then I get a buzz inside on particular notes when close-by live music, even at low volumes. Who woulda thunk it?

Use protection, young ones.
erinjahanm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: musicians' earplugs Reply with quote

The simplest way to safeguard your hearing is to wear earplugs. But not just any earplugs will do for the purposes of musicians. Normal earplugs, which come for everyone's use and just focus on reducing the noise as much as possible, don't suit musicians as they muffle the sounds and distort the music's tones. The answer then lies in musicians' earplugs – a category of earplugs specifically designed to meet the requirements of protecting their ears while allowing them to hear the music clearly
mbradd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a set of the Westone custom plugs and they were great for giving a sense of generally lowering the volume with very little frequency loss, especially in the higher frequency range which is almost always a problem with the generic fit plugs.

I am also a drummer and for drums they were perfect. It felt like I was just lowering the volume without too much of a loss in hearing the more subtle frequencies of my cymbals. HOWEVER, I found that I did not like them for trumpet playing because it completely changed they way I heard myself playing. You end up hearing much more internally and it makes it tough to judge what you really sound like. I tried playing with one plug in at a time, but that completely defeats the purpose if you're goal is to protect your hearing. But then again, for gigs when you can't hear yourself (i.e. bad-to-no monitors, drummer is doing his Bonham impression, or the sound guy has hit the suck button, whatever) it does help you to hear something that can get you through a bad situation.

I'm not playing in rock bands any more, so it's not really an issue, but if I was going to be, I'd seriously look into an in-ear monitor system so you can not only hear what you sound like, but adjust all the other instrument levels you're hearing, all at a safe volume while blocking out everything else on stage. Realize that any way you go, you're going to be compromising. Good luck and let us know which way you went.
TiredChops
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just assumed that the best ear plugs for trumpeters are the ones that filter out the saxophones...
TaliscaAdrian

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Eargasm High Fidelity Earplugs and this is great product . I am using Eargasms for several years. These have changed the experience in a big way. I bought these along with 5 other well-reviewed earplug brands that are in a similar price range, to see for myself what would work best. I won't divulge the other brands, but all anyone has to know is this - Eargasms turned out to be the best for me for a number of reasons.
jvand678
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might check out the Earasers as well. I have used the Etymotics, the hearos, plain foam, many others, and Earasers. Due to the shape, I don't get the ear fatigue from the Earasers that I got wearing my Etymotics.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize that this thread is 17 years old, but a timely topic, nevertheless.

So - FWIW - I use Entymonic ER20s and have no real problem with them. However, much more expensive, and better, are available. "You pays your money you takes your choice".

Similar to the above user, if I'm sitting in front of eight brass (sax), I use them put all the way in. The pop bands I've played in, with the drums immediately to my left, then that ear plug is all the way in but the right-hand plug is pulled out a bit.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me for wanting to ignore the post that revived this old thread. A single post from a new user that appears to be selling stuff rubs me the wrong way.

That said, just did a 3-hour rock gig that found me right next to the drummer, and no monitor. The classic worst-case gig. I use the OTS Etymotic plugs (ETY Plugs, I believe) and the left one went in for the entire night. I applied the right one when I wasn't playing. They worked fine in that I didn't feel any lingering discomfort from the high SPLs. But I also can't say that I really enjoyed playing as much a usually do because things are a bit too muffled.

Looks like I should check out the newer ER 20-series. Thx for the tip.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
trombahonker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the electronic Etymotic Music PRO earplugs. Expensive, but very worth it. Come with 10 different types of tips to find the one that fits your ear with least negative impact.

My use is entirely in orchestra; i struggled with other earplugs (I tried about 10 different ones, including molded ones) because as soon as it's quiet, or the orch stops and conductor starts to speak, I couldn't hear crap. The Music PRO electronic ones automatically attenuate sound as it gets louder, but don't change much when it's at a safe level.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trombahonker wrote:
I really like the electronic Etymotic Music PRO earplugs. Expensive, but very worth it. Come with 10 different types of tips to find the one that fits your ear with least negative impact.

My use is entirely in orchestra; i struggled with other earplugs (I tried about 10 different ones, including molded ones) because as soon as it's quiet, or the orch stops and conductor starts to speak, I couldn't hear crap. The Music PRO electronic ones automatically attenuate sound as it gets louder, but don't change much when it's at a safe level.

Amen to that! Prior to my rather recent use of these I used custom made molded plugs, with the possibility to switch between 9,15,25 dB. Same experience as above, well functioning but during pauses, e.g. during rehearsals completey left out, no jokes could be heard etc. However probably saved my ears from getting worse (=I have a substantial hearing-impairment + tinnitus). One brass band concert I registered 117dB....(normally up to 107). With these Etymotic adaptable much better musical experience + I can hear whats said, especially when in 9dB mode. Most of the time in 15 dB mode though. However I have noticed some increase in tinnitus after hard gigs so not as much protection as with the custom made plugs.
Also, putting them too deep into the ear gave rise to an eerie experience: suddenly my hearing got extremely good, hearing sounds not available since a very longtime. Audiologist believed could be some bone-conductiveness??Rather disturbing it was.
But I would most certainly recommend these gadgets!
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)

Last edited by Seymor B Fudd on Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total
houdini1313
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep my custom earplugs in a mobile pill container attached to my keys so they are with me all the time. I use the 25db filter when I play, and sometimes the full plug (as much noise as possible blocked). Sometimes I'll play with only one in (towards drum set) and I also wear them while teaching marching band.

I'd rather spend 175 on custom ear plugs than 7 grand per ear for inferior sound later in life. Protect your hearing!!
Stomvi Piccolo

Hammond, Patrick, and Reeves Mouthpieces
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

houdini1313 wrote:
I keep my custom earplugs in a mobile pill container attached to my keys so they are with me all the time. I use the 25db filter when I play, and sometimes the full plug (as much noise as possible blocked). Sometimes I'll play with only one in (towards drum set) and I also wear them while teaching marching band.

I'd rather spend 175 on custom ear plugs than 7 grand per ear for inferior sound later in life. Protect your hearing!!

Most certainly youre on the right track.
In one of my bands I was sneered at when I began fiddle with my earplugs. And still so many musiscians have impaired hearing, so many tinnitus.
Already back in the 70:ties I started to use foam earplugs but this didnt suffice sorry to say. So I pay the price today - well I can manage. But at all times one should be alerted to possibly too loud input; like new years eve, children screaming, even lesser gigs. Or in the words of Louis: "Hear me talking to ya!"
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: