• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Selling Horns on eBay

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
austincustombrass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theslawdawg wrote:
I'll recommend it one more time from a guy that's sold hundreds of things on EBAY....switch to Reverb.com. Reverb fees are over half the price of eBay fees, and the customer service is really good. Check it out. You're welcome.

Agreed. Reverb is a fantastic place to sell for us as well. Ebay keeps getting more and more expensive.
-T

It's a shame how far this forum has fallen. If you need us call 816-410-0826 or email.

Cool Links here:
https://linktr.ee/austincustombrass
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Selling horns on ebay Reply with quote

Christian K. Peters wrote:
I have bought 4 to 6 horns over the past years, and only once did I have to file a claim for damage. I felt, as long as I stuck with experienced sellers with a proven track record I was safe. I also relied on emails and even phone calls to verify condition.

That is not very encouraging. An issue with something like 25% of your transactions is pretty bad.
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Selling Horns on eBay Reply with quote

depasqualem1 wrote:
Hi All!

Sad to say, it is time for me to part with my beautiful high horns: a Schilke Eb/D and P5-4.

Any advice or best practices re: selling on eBay? I haven't sold that much on there as it is, and paying a ton of fees/letting my horns go for less than they're worth has me a bit hesitant. Any help would be appreciated!

Don't buy from anyone who requests that you use Paypal "friends and family" for payment. One reason is that you will have have no buyer protection from Paypal for resolving any conflict. The other reason is that if the seller is requesting "friends and family" payment, he is asking you to join with him in defrauding Paypal. Using "friends and family" for sale of goods is against their terms of service, and is an attempt to use Paypal's for-pay service without paying them.

If someone solicits such a payment for the sale of goods, it's clear that they are dishonest. If they intend to cheat Paypal, who else are they cheating?
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
Vince.Green
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't meant as a rebuttal but just more info on PayPal. I use PayPal a lot, both buying and selling. I used to get worried if someone requested the "friends" option because I felt it may be cheating PayPal for their services too. You are correct that by using "goods and services" you are basically insuring your purchase through Paypal.

I called customer service more than once to inquire and the friends option is not defrauding them but you do lose the insurance. I have bought and sold locally when using PayPal for instance and since the horn is in my hands and I know what I'm getting, I have no problem using the friends option. There are times when I've done a transaction with the student of a friend where I feel comfortable as well.

I'm not defending only using the friends option but if you are comfortable using it on occasion I don't believe you are doing anything wrong other than opting out of the insurance. Sorry for getting slightly off topic.
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"If you use your PayPal account to receive payments for the sale of goods or services or accept donations, you must:

Pay any applicable fees for receiving the funds.

Not ask your buyer to send you money using the “send money to a friend or family member.” If you do so, PayPal may remove your PayPal account’s ability to accept payments from friends or family members."

Paypal's terms of service, from paypal.com
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vince.Green wrote:
This isn't meant as a rebuttal but just more info on PayPal. I use PayPal a lot, both buying and selling. I used to get worried if someone requested the "friends" option because I felt it may be cheating PayPal for their services too. You are correct that by using "goods and services" you are basically insuring your purchase through Paypal.

I called customer service more than once to inquire and the friends option is not defrauding them but you do lose the insurance. I have bought and sold locally when using PayPal for instance and since the horn is in my hands and I know what I'm getting, I have no problem using the friends option. There are times when I've done a transaction with the student of a friend where I feel comfortable as well.

I'm not defending only using the friends option but if you are comfortable using it on occasion I don't believe you are doing anything wrong other than opting out of the insurance. Sorry for getting slightly off topic.

Maybe they just need to change friends and family to, "no insurance or coverage option".
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

austincustombrass wrote:
Ebay keeps getting more and more expensive.
-T

Grumblings on eBay forums for some time has been that eBay is trying to discourage/push out small sellers, that mega-merchants is where they make their money.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
SMrtn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I buy off eBay, I ignore auctions entirely. And when I sell on eBay, which happens from time to time, I use the 'buy it now' option and turn off 'make an offer' always. I know what I want for what I'm selling, and haven't failed to sell.

eBay will automatically turn on 'make an offer' so just keep an eye out.

Also, I bump what I want for what I'm selling to recoup, even in part, the fees that are part of using the service....eBay and paypal.

Hope this helps.
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eBay selling fees are ridiculously high. It is a strictly cyberspace operation as you will never be able to contact a human being at eBay if there is a serious question or problem.
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sold a number of items on ebay, and the fees all told, are closer to the 30 percent mentioned by A.N.A Mendez. But, I've been able to move some horns I didn't need or use any more. You get the biggest audience w/ebay, and you pay for it.

I sell things with a "no returns accepted" provision. I disclose everything about the instrument, including loose valves and the proper oil they'll need to function. As others have noted, good photographs and descriptions are a must.

Usually I ship w/no case, and use a new box, wrapping the horn in bubble wrap, peanuts in the box, and foam or bubble sections holding the horn in the middle, away from the edges. The expense of the box and shipping, insurance, etc. is turned around to the customer - always.

One thing I haven't done is sell a really great horn in pristine condition this way. Too much to lose if it goes wrong. I treat it as a business, and have been doing OK. I will check out Reverb, though. It would be nice to have an alternative.
https://yourbrass.com/
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yourbrass wrote:
I have sold a number of items on ebay, and the fees all told, are closer to the 30 percent mentioned by A.N.A Mendez. But, I've been able to move some horns I didn't need or use any more. You get the biggest audience w/ebay, and you pay for it.

I sell things with a "no returns accepted" provision. I disclose everything about the instrument, including loose valves and the proper oil they'll need to function. As others have noted, good photographs and descriptions are a must.

Usually I ship w/no case, and use a new box, wrapping the horn in bubble wrap, peanuts in the box, and foam or bubble sections holding the horn in the middle, away from the edges. The expense of the box and shipping, insurance, etc. is turned around to the customer - always.

One thing I haven't done is sell a really great horn in pristine condition this way. Too much to lose if it goes wrong. I treat it as a business, and have been doing OK. I will check out Reverb, though. It would be nice to have an alternative.

I agree...the benefit of eBay is the bigger audience. Reverb is still growing when it comes to the brass/woodwind market. I originally used it for guitars. The fees have always been no more than 5 percent and they discount you on shipping pre paid labels if you go through them. Bottomline, I don't feel like I'm getting robbed....
depasqualem1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Recent sales on ebay Reply with quote

jondrowjf@gmail.com wrote:
When selling on ebay, look in the sold listing for comparable trumpets. Have you tried selling on Craiglist?

Hi,

I have tried selling on CL. Have had the horns posted their for a few weeks and have gotten minimal responses.
depasqualem1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
I listed a Schilke X4 on eBay for one week. It didn't sell. I had to pay $80.00 for the listing, because the agreement said the cost was a percentage of the listed price, not the sale price. I'll never use it again.

Right! That's my concern. I don't mind taking a hit if I know it's planned, but I don't want to pay the fees on a horn that hasn't been bought.
depasqualem1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vince.Green wrote:
I’ve bought and sold many times right here on TH with very few problems. I think you’ll find if you talk to the prospective buyer you can get a good feel on things. No fees obviously. eBay has gotten very expensive over the years. Good luck.

Thanks. The horns are posted here on marketplace, but no bites yet.
depasqualem1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Selling Horns on eBay Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
depasqualem1 wrote:
Hi All!

Sad to say, it is time for me to part with my beautiful high horns: a Schilke Eb/D and P5-4.

Any advice or best practices re: selling on eBay? I haven't sold that much on there as it is, and paying a ton of fees/letting my horns go for less than they're worth has me a bit hesitant. Any help would be appreciated!

Ebay offers both sellers and buyers protections. Of course don't be stupid about things - go via Paypal. There will be a delay in getting the money but it gives you protections.

You might want to check out their forums to get a feel for the kinds of issues sellers run into. Maybe ask a question like "How do I avoid getting ripped off as a seller?"

Describe the instrument including any flaws - take numerous, high quality photos of a large enough size that they'll expand when they're on Ebay. Try to make it so a potential buyer feels like they've really gotten a good look at the instrument.

Personally I'd be leery selling on Craigslist where you have -0- protection and you can attract skeezy characters.

Thank you for the advice! I will definitely keep these things in mind when I create my ad.
depasqualem1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JetJaguar wrote:
I think I've sold 5 over the years. The last two I had a buy it now price in addition to an auction, and no reserve.

Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me a little bit more about how you configured the ad? With a successful sale in mind:

1) What did you ultimately want to get for the horn?
2) What did you set your Buy It Now price at?
3) What did you set your minimum bid at?
4) How long did you run the auction?

These, and any other specifics would be appreciated!
depasqualem1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theslawdawg wrote:
I recommend REVERB.com. WAY better then eBay. They are out of Chicago. Their fees are around 5 percent, which obviously is way cheaper then the skyrocketing eBay fees. Their buyer/seller protection is amazing. If you sell on their, use their shipping prices (which happens to be cheaper then eBay) and get their insurance. It's 100 percent.

Most importantly, it's run by musicians, so they will understand issues much better.

I've had two pricey returns due to bad sellers, and I was fully refunded in a few weeks.

They are a great company, and it's all USA folks on the phone.
This is not a paid advertisment for them, unless you want to pay me...if so, please use friends and family

Sounds great! Thanks for letting me know. Is it timed auctions like eBay, or do you just post horns on there and wait for potential buyers?
depasqualem1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spitvalve wrote:
I've made a fair amount of money in the past year selling stuff on eBay, but eBay has made a fair amount of money off of me as well. On average I net about 87% of the sale price after eBay and Paypal take their cut.

I've bought some very good horns for decent prices, though. I've never had any luck bidding on horns; I always look for bargains in the "buy it now" and "make offer" listings.

Thanks for the reply! Would you mind answering a few more questions about how you configured your ad? With a successful sale in mind:

1) What price did you ultimately want to get for the horn?
2) Did you use Buy It Now? If so, what price did you set there?
3) What did you set as your minimum bid?
4) How long did you set the auction for?

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depasqualem1 wrote:
theslawdawg wrote:
I recommend REVERB.com. WAY better then eBay. They are out of Chicago. Their fees are around 5 percent, which obviously is way cheaper then the skyrocketing eBay fees. Their buyer/seller protection is amazing. If you sell on their, use their shipping prices (which happens to be cheaper then eBay) and get their insurance. It's 100 percent.

Most importantly, it's run by musicians, so they will understand issues much better.

I've had two pricey returns due to bad sellers, and I was fully refunded in a few weeks.

They are a great company, and it's all USA folks on the phone.
This is not a paid advertisment for them, unless you want to pay me...if so, please use friends and family

Sounds great! Thanks for letting me know. Is it timed auctions like eBay, or do you just post horns on there and wait for potential buyers?

You just post and wait...no auction.
Shark01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

depasqualem1 wrote:
Vince.Green wrote:
I’ve bought and sold many times right here on TH with very few problems. I think you’ll find if you talk to the prospective buyer you can get a good feel on things. No fees obviously. eBay has gotten very expensive over the years. Good luck.

Thanks. The horns are posted here on marketplace, but no bites yet.

With all due respect, do you know what a new P5-4 sells for after discounts from major retailers?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: