• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Case for lead trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:28 am    Post subject: Case for lead trumpet Reply with quote

I need a case for my lead trumpet, any suggestions?
harryjamesworstnightmare
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll want something with wheels because I'm sure a trumpet made from lead is very heavy indeed.
Bach Strad 43 Sterling Silver Plus
Getzen Proteus
Yamaha 6335HS
Olds Super
Olds Mendez
Getzen Custom 3850 Cornet
Conn 80A
Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

harryjamesworstnightmare wrote:
You'll want something with wheels because I'm sure a trumpet made from lead is very heavy indeed.

markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Case for lead trumpet Reply with quote

delano wrote:
I need a case for my lead trumpet, any suggestions?

You don’t need a case. Have adoring underlings carry it for you.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was quite a normal question on this forum. I am no way a lead player and have not any ambition for it. But I have seen over the time complete idiot questions (especially in the High Range forum) here and I tried to fomulate the UIQ, the Ultimate Idiot Question and in fact I expected pages of serious answers. But you ruined it for me. Cannot expect anything now.
jazztrumpetbill
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for all the wise !@##$ comments.. I have a good second trumpet case! No seriously there are many options for good cases. Torpedo bags etc...check out the misc for sale on the marketplace site.

Bb Burbank Benge L
Bb Schilke B1
Olds Silverstar Flugel
King Silvertone Cornet
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That ought to do it

kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Never mind )

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:47 am; edited 2 times in total
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was trying to make a joke, guys...
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, trying something outrageous weird with a vague feeling of: should somebody try to give a serious answer? In fact I was triggered by some completely lunatic posts and threads in the High Range department and I thought: if that kind of stuff gets happy responses let’s give it a try.
See it as an experiment.
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course it was a joke. Everybody knows there is no such thing as a lead trumpet. I think most of us realize the best way to ensure good lead playing is to always have a set of lead valves handy. That way they can be swapped out for the clunky valves too many horns come with any time one needs to play lead.

I keep my lead valves in an old Braun electric toothbrush multi-brush older. It is exactly the right size for valves and very protective and portable. It also has a nice little charging nub for my lead mouthpiece, which when freshly charged gives me an extra minor third.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Interpretation "one", "Lead trumpet case" can mean a case made out of metal. In this example, a play on words. "Led", the metal, is actually spelled "led" but lead may have been a play on words (lead).

I think you might have led a few people astray with your definition of the spelling of the metal lead.

Led being the past tense of lead, not the name of the metal abbreviated Pb in the periodic table.

In fact the metal is spelled “lead” and due to a small amount of plumbing background I always have a little mental gyration when reading about lead pipes on TH.
harryjamesworstnightmare
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renold Schilke once built a trumpet with a lead (the metal) bell and Bud Herseth played it in a rehearsal while Schilke recorded the session. Everyone hated it because they couldn't hear it due to the lack overtones. The conductor kept telling Bud to play louder because he couldn't hear him. But after listening to the recording it was louder than all the other instruments. Just lacking brilliance. That's probably a poor paraphrase of the event so if you can find the original story it's worth reading.
Bach Strad 43 Sterling Silver Plus
Getzen Proteus
Yamaha 6335HS
Olds Super
Olds Mendez
Getzen Custom 3850 Cornet
Conn 80A
Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn
Ozzbo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Renold Schilke once built a trumpet with a lead (the metal) bell and Bud Herseth played it in a rehearsal while Schilke recorded the session. Everyone hated it because they couldn't hear it due to the lack overtones. The conductor kept telling Bud to play louder because he couldn't hear him. But after listening to the recording it was louder than all the other instruments. Just lacking brilliance. That's probably a poor paraphrase of the event so if you can find the original story it's worth reading.

I had a similar situation some 20yrs ago at a recording session. As a contract session player for Sony records, I was working on a recording for a new artist/band and was putting tracks down on the 10th and final song on the album. I decided to use my Schilke B5L with a Berillyum bell on it and finished the session without incident.

Three days later the A&R Sony rep for the artist called me and asked me what did I do differently on this particular track. After I told him that I used a different horn, he insisted that I come in and re-record all the other tunes using that horn !! The recorded sound that the Berillyum bell produced was much more pronounced and warmer but still retained a certain brilliance.

The horn paid for its self in that session alone !!!!

Ozzy
Ozzbo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Renold Schilke once built a trumpet with a lead (the metal) bell and Bud Herseth played it in a rehearsal while Schilke recorded the session. Everyone hated it because they couldn't hear it due to the lack overtones. The conductor kept telling Bud to play louder because he couldn't hear him. But after listening to the recording it was louder than all the other instruments. Just lacking brilliance. That's probably a poor paraphrase of the event so if you can find the original story it's worth reading.

I had a similar situation some 20yrs ago at a recording session. As a contract session player for Sony records, I was working on a recording for a new artist/band and was putting tracks down on the 10th and final song on the album. I decided to use my Schilke B5L with a Berillyum bell on it and finished the session without incident.

Three days later the A&R Sony rep for the artist called me and asked me what did I do differently on this particular track. After I told him that I used a different horn, he insisted that I come in and re-record all the other tunes using that horn !! The recorded sound that the Berillyum bell produced was much more pronounced and warmer but still retained a certain brilliance.

Ozzy
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just make sure any tech who works on your lead trumpet has been EPA certified to avoid those fines. . . .

https://www.epa.gov/lead/getcertified

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozzbo wrote:
I decided to use my Schilke B5L with a Berillyum bell on it and finished the session without incident.

Ozzy

Ozzy, was that an older horn that actually had beryllium in the alloy, or was it later one that was pure copper?

Thanks,
Jerry
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
That ought to do it

A bit O.T. but does that qualify as a 'carry on' ??? I have some traveling coming up and would like to take a few extra items!
Ozzbo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Ozzy, was that an older horn that actually had beryllium in the alloy, or was it later one that was pure copper?

Thanks,
Jerry]

Jerry,

That was a Copper bell from the late 90's.

Ozzy[/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: