• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach 3rd valve trigger

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcjway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Bach 3rd valve trigger Reply with quote

Hi,
Was just wondering if anyone knows when Bach started offering a 3rd valve trigger from the factory? I have a ‘71 Vindabona with 1st and 3rd valve triggers that was re plated sometime in its history wanted to figure out if triggers are factory. I called Conn-Selmer and I was told they deal in new instruments and could not help me.
1935 NY Bach 26-59 silver plate
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last person who knew retired a few months ago.

I have seen 60s horns where they were original, not sure how far back the third triggers go. (First triggers go way back) Until recently, the OEM third trigger assembly was available through allied, so it is impossible to know for certain if the horn was first built with it unless the serial is under 30-some thousand (shop card).

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those third triggers look like they were sourced from Olds.
popfly38

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting because I was just wondering about that. I have a 1971 Model 37 with first and third slide triggers. I don't think it's been refinished and the trigger looks original. The third slide also has a water key and no stop. I just sent a note to Conn-Selmer a week ago asking if that was an option back then as I have never seen a Strad configured like this. Their answer was a very ambiguous, "Bach does have some models that were produced with a third slide trigger". I also have a 1953 Olds Recording and the mechanism is very similar if not identical.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

popfly38 wrote:
That's interesting because I was just wondering about that. I have a 1971 Model 37 with first and third slide triggers. I don't think it's been refinished and the trigger looks original. The third slide also has a water key and no stop. I just sent a note to Conn-Selmer a week ago asking if that was an option back then as I have never seen a Strad configured like this. Their answer was a very ambiguous, "Bach does have some models that were produced with a third slide trigger". I also have a 1953 Olds Recording and the mechanism is very similar if not identical.

My ‘72 has a stock first valve trigger. The trigger is identical to my 2009 Strad’s. They both look like this only installed.
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My recollection is that Bach started offering the third-slide trigger in the '60s, responding to the favorable response to the trigger on the Olds Recording. Now, did Bach essentially copy the Olds trigger?

Some years ago I bought a well-used Olds Recording trumpet. It was a player, not a looker, and one of the previous owners had had the trigger mechanism removed pretty much completely -- the only piece left was the chunky brace between the third-slide tubes with a threaded hole in it. When I bought the horn there was an Ambassador adjustable third-slide ring in the lyre mount on the Recording, which worked. When I asked a pretty good repair shop about installing an original trigger I was told that Allied no longer had the parts but that the Bach mechanism was essentially a copy of the Olds trigger, except it was made from brass instead of nickel silver. I had them install the Bach trigger and it worked perfectly.

A few years ago it was brought to my attention that someone was selling OEM Olds Recording trigger assemblies online -- every piece except the mount for the trigger itself and the chunky slide brace which my horn already had. I bought the trigger assembly, figuring I could have some expert repair tech install an original trigger mount... or have one made from scratch. When I received the original trigger components, just for the heck of it I tried installing them on the Bach trigger mount and everything fit perfectly, including the original Olds screw that threaded into the trigger mount.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: