• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

2 1/2 Years after stopping for 50 years.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adc
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: 2 1/2 Years after stopping for 50 years. Reply with quote

Its been a labor of love. Bought and gave away many cornets in an effort to find "the one". Settled on a King Master and Conn 38A. Both play better than any of my Committees (gave 2 away) and my Getzen Capri (sold one and gave the best one away).

Not saying I won't buy any more but if I do they will probably be given away. I actually bought a king master the other day for $100 plus shipping. I just bought it bc it appeared to be worth way more. If it a winner..some kid will get a great horn.

I started taking lessons a while back (10 months) it has made all the difference. I was pretty good when I stopped in College. I am much better now. At the age of 73, that's saying something.

Cheers all!!!
Comeback
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool account of your musical journey. You seem to be truly enjoying your comeback. I certainly am enjoying mine. Are you playing in any groups or bands?
adc
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am. Its the Village Encore Band. About 35 players..max. 7 trumpets. 1 Cornet (me) I am playing second part. Its different bc I always payed 1st. But its fun . We have practice every 2 weeks.

How about you?
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome.
Comeback
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adc wrote:
I am. Its the Village Encore Band. About 35 players..max. 7 trumpets. 1 Cornet (me) I am playing second part. Its different bc I always payed 1st. But its fun . We have practice every 2 weeks.

How about you?

I play in a community band and enjoy it a great deal. Our fall concert is approaching.
bhornFree

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adc wrote:
7 trumpets. 1 Cornet (me) I am playing second part. Its different bc I always payed 1st. But its fun.

I'm glad you're having fun! I am too. Been back for just over a year. I "came back" to trumpet, but I'm a horn player. We just needed trumpets as we only had 2 that would come regularly and they were awful.

The day I walked in with a trumpet, so did several other people. I was a bit shocked by the preening and posturing where every one of them announced, "I've always played first" and shoved their way to the top of the section (and they had no business being there let me tell you. Only one has a dependable but wimpy range to a C). A tuba player who moved over to trumpet decided he could be on second until his chops got better and I was the lone person on third. With 5 on first. This year 3 new people showed up (average high school level playing ability) and were put on second. They've all quit due to the "insult."

Thankfully I'm back in the horn section. I don't really get trumpet politics. For horns, we apparently think whatever we're doing, no matter the part, is important LOL (yes, that can be obnoxious too but I'm more used to it I guess). I wish we had fewer "lead" trumpets as the section surely would sound better. Keep up the good work and keep having fun!
Comeback
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting account of your experiences, bhornFree. The trumpet section in the community band I play in does not appear to have the issues you described. We have a fairly even distribution of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd trumpets, depending upon the night. Most of us try to not miss any rehearsals. Last week was a bit of an outlier, several 2nd trumpet players were absent and those parts were not covered as well as they should have been.
bhornFree

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comeback wrote:
Interesting account of your experiences, bhornFree. The trumpet section in the community band I play in does not appear to have the issues you described. We have a fairly even distribution of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd trumpets, depending upon the night. Most of us try to not miss any rehearsals. Last week was a bit of an outlier, several 2nd trumpet players were absent and those parts were not covered as well as they should have been.

This is the only community band I've ever played in, and just for a year at that. My prior life was all orchestra once I fled from a school band midway through high school. So I would hope it's an outlier, not representative. It certainly hasn't endeared them to any of the other band members. I wish I could trade up for a better ensemble, but this one works for now. Yours sounds much better!
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am closing in on 4 years now after a 50 year hiatus. I am 83 and doing fairly well. I started playing with a local Horizons Senior band my first year back and early this year switched to a more challenging local 32 member brass and reed band. We have 4 trumpets. Two play 2nd and 2 play first. And there are two other members who play other instruments but are experienced trumpet players who can be called on to fill in when needed. I am one of the two first trumpets but the other chap is the lead player. He gets the solos with tons of those As and Bs that I can't handle for fear of an injury. I have had a few but now know my limitations.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: