• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Any Conn 80A Players?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markfreitas

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:22 am    Post subject: Any Conn 80A Players? Reply with quote

As a Brass Instrument Repair Tech, I've worked on hundreds of vintage and antique horns. I love bringing them back to life to be beautiful and playable again! My specialty quickly became trumpets, cornets and flugels, so by "default" I also became a collector. The Conn 80A "family" fascinated me, as did the great evolution of cornet designs. I ended up focusing on assembling a set of 8 cornets from the 80A family for our community band, which our Director was thrilled to accept (on loan) for several years. They (the horns) ranged in age from 1912 to 1946, but our players were 15-75! It became a great feature in our concerts to have the sound of cornets and trumpets as the music originally required, and a matched set as well. Most of our section enjoyed playing them, but a few just endured ;). We used Denis Wick 4B Classics and I loved the sound on the large .484 bore horns! As Principal, I'd also use a 3B for solo work. Were we the only band in the world with a matched set of 80A's? I'd like to hear from fellow 80A lovers!

Since moving to Vegas, I'm selling 5 of the set, with 2 more that could be ready soon. If you're a player or Director who'd love to have this set for your band, I'd make a special deal for you. Please let me know ASAP, otherwise I'll sell them separately. I'll be listing them on Marketplace, along with my Schilke E3L D/Eb trumpet and Benge 90C "Leonore" C trumpet.

--------------------------------
LA Benge 3x MLP
Benge 90C Leonore
Schilke E3L D/Eb
Schilke P5-4 picc
Yamaha 631 Flugel
Conn 80A cornets
York and Sons Professional Cornet w/shepherd's crook
Ozzbo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a delighted and proud 80A player !!!

Mine is a '38 vintage with the frosted silver finish, polished slides, gold wash bell and the "A" mechanism fully functional.

I was initially skeptical on how it would play due to it's massive .484 bore and lack of slide rings, but WOW ! The 80A proves to be surprisingly nimble in all registers with spot on intonation and a rich, buttery tone. All of this with the supplied Conn 4 cornet piece.

I've used it playing heavy lead in a big band as well as a solo performance at a funeral. Received multiple compliments on both and some tears on the later.

The 80As are sleepers in the cornet scene and can be found at bargain prices. Get a Conn 4 cornet mouthpiece if you can. This combination is a killer one !!!

Ozzy Cardona - NYC Freelance
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great horns - I always thought of them more as tuneable bell trumpets but they sound very nice with a Bach A cup - an M style cup and tighter backbore and you can play with the trumpets.

Oh - when discussing your trumpet section around non players - be sure to say that you have 5 Conn 80a's in your section rather than 5 ConnVics...
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one that I'm still working at. It's an older model with the vintage shank so I can only use the Conn 4 that came with it. That mouthpiece sounds very nice but the rim disagrees with me. At some point I hope to order a custom mouthpiece. Then I'll need to invest in a new leadpipe, corks and pads. But in spite of all that it plays and sounds quite nice.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Uberopa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 80A dates from 1947. I had it restored by Jason Harrelson and relacquered at Anderson's. I use a Pickett 3C and have tried other mouthpieces. These include a Wick Heritage 3B, FO3, FO3VC and a Curry3DC. I chose the Pickett because it squared the circle of sound, pitch, range and articulation of them all. Each had it's own strengths though.
I really enjoy the sound and power one can get. It's fun to watch the Bix Beiderbecke festivals on Youtube where lots of players use them but can sound quite different I like to use mine for early jazz and Oktoberfest gigs. Lots of power to cut through the noise with a superior sound.[/quote]
bworth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1946 and a 1947. I agree that the Conn 4 (older style) mouthpiece works/sounds best. I enjoy playing them, especially in a Dixieland band.
A.N.A.Mendez
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working on one with the nickel silver trim. I think they are rare, don't see a photo on the Conn loyalist site, just a mention. Nice horn....

☛ "No matter how cynical you get, it's never enough to keep up" Lily Tomlin☚
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conn 80A here, also, and with a Curry 5 VC mouthpiece. Love the sound.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post your 80A photos. Here's mine:

[img]IMG_0946 by genevie7, on Flickr[/img]

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Dieter Z
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a Conn 80A from 1947. I use it with a Curry BBC mouthpiece. Love the sound. Soundwise it's between my trumpet and Sovereign cornet.

I see you also have a Benge Leonore 90C. So do I. Not having any other c trumpets around here I wonder how it compares to other c trumpets.
B&S Challenger II 3137 rl
Buescher 400 - 225 (WWII)
Benge 90C
Eastman 540 D/Eb
ACB Fluegelhorn
Selmer Picc
ACB mouthpieces for most of my playing
markfreitas

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dieter Z wrote:
I also have a Conn 80A from 1947. I use it with a Curry BBC mouthpiece. Love the sound. Soundwise it's between my trumpet and Sovereign cornet.

I see you also have a Benge Leonore 90C. So do I. Not having any other c trumpets around here I wonder how it compares to other c trumpets.

--------
I enjoyed my 90C and they have an excellent reputation when compared to more expensive horns. I sold mine 3 days after posting it and it now has another happy home!
Conn 80A cornets
York & Sons Professional Cornet w/shepherd's crook
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a minty 81A made in 1917 , the only issue is the leaking valves , I use very thick oil but I also plan to redone the valves , I love the opera glass mechanism and the tone of the horn and I use a pair of vintage Purviance 5*3 and 4*3 with very good results.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: