• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Legends mouthpieces

View previous topic :: View next topic  
smoothhorn

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Legends mouthpieces Reply with quote

Does anyone own a Legends mouthpiece, fairly new company. Thanks,
MF Fan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised no one responded to this thread. They have a large presence on eBay. I was wondering if this was a Kanstul storefront that is marketing copies of some of the more sought after hard to find MP's, e.g. Jet tones, MF and Cat's pieces, etc. Anyone know their story?
Holton MF3
Lead Trumpet - My Basement Jazz Orchestra

Last edited by MF Fan on Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total
hackney_wick
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delete

Last edited by hackney_wick on Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:55 am; edited 1 time in total
jb1970

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Legends MF Master (.590, 22 throat) and it is just fantastic. I can say the build quality is perfect and the delivery was fast.
This mpc is perfect for me, which might not be for others. Tone is unique, fat and loud, and the closest to MF I've ever tried on my ST307S.
Range is ridiculously easy to control. I'm very excited.

If you're curious, what I can tell you is what I've tried for years so you get an idea of why it works, at least for me.
My first MF mpc was a Holton MF3 (long time ago), which was always too small or something when I pushed, and just felt funny. (It turns out that the convex slope/shape greatly matters, along with throat & backbore).
Many years later I got the Vintage MF (the funky JT late creation). I could play it well and liked the open throat, which put me on track to find a better or custom version of it (since it was also a bit off regarding the convex). But I never found the MF Personal or the like for proper comparison.
I did find a brushed version JT MF from the 80's, but it had a small throat and slightly off radius and convex for me.
Then I got the latest JT MF reissue which turned out to be the best sounding and playing of the bunch. Schilke made these JT's and they are nice. I still use it due to it's darker and quieter sound. Anyway, I was about to have a custom mpc made that would be my version of the best qualities of them (fitting me) with an altered convex mix between comfort and not shutting off with more air, requiring a backbore and throat balance. Bottom line is Legends' got all that right in this stock mpc MF Master. It is my louder, smoky jazz, basically sounding like MF mpc.
Not to say it couldn't be tweaked further for each of our personal preferences, but I got lucky and this one is what I would've made.
Jet Tone Vintage MF
Curry 00S
XStream EX-XXX
RandyDunn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought 2 trumpet mouthpieces from Legends Brass that I totally love, the JT CS .600" (Charlie Shavers-Jet Tone) and the RM 16S .595" (Rudy Muck) and I'm now using those for mouthpieces exclusively for lead trumpet and piccolo trumpet playing, as well as for some other things (see my review video below, with playing demonstrations starting at 1:10 on that video.)

I'm also currently working with Derek Saidak at Legends on a design for a special custom small inner-rim diameter mouthpiece that's designed for use with classical/orchestral/chamber music trumpet. (I can tell you more about that custom mouthpiece later, after Derek completes the design and has made that mouthpiece for me.) I would be interested in hearing comments about from anyone who uses Legends mouthpieces (for lead trumpet, piccolo, or classical), no matter what size or type of Legends Brass mouthpiece you are using, or if you have ever even tried any of these mouthpieces. THANKS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIuEQzcCZmo
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject: Legends mouthpieces Reply with quote

I've been using a Legends JT-CS .590 piece as one of my go-to-pieces for the past 3-4 years now. It is DEFINITELY the most comfortable rim/mouthpiece I have ever played in my 50 years of playing!!! This ONE mouthpiece can do it all! Lead, jazz, concert band, dixie, etc. It's a real chameleon. I also have a matching flugel piece and a couple of tops for my cornets. They ALL work well.

On top of producing a GREAT product Derek is one of the fairest and nicest guys that I've had the pleasure of dealing with. Also...his customer service is 2nd to none!

For players that use very small diameters it's a God send to find a manufacturer that offers a VERY generous supply/options of small diameter pieces. From his vast list of stock pieces there's definitely something there that will appeal to all players no matter what size piece/type of work you do.

Butch
TRUMPE: YAMAHA Lacq. "Shew Gen II" / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "TKO" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
RandyDunn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Legends mouthpieces Reply with quote

maynard-46 wrote:
I've been using a Legends JT-CS .590 piece as one of my go-to-pieces for the past 3-4 years now. It is DEFINITELY the most comfortable rim/mouthpiece I have ever played in my 50 years of playing!!! This ONE mouthpiece can do it all! Lead, jazz, concert band, dixie, etc. It's a real chameleon. I also have a matching flugel piece and a couple of tops for my cornets. They ALL work well.

On top of producing a GREAT product Derek is one of the fairest and nicest guys that I've had the pleasure of dealing with. Also...his customer service is 2nd to none!

For players that use very small diameters it's a God send to find a manufacturer that offers a VERY generous supply/options of small diameter pieces. From his vast list of stock pieces there's definitely something there that will appeal to all players no matter what size piece/type of work you do.

Butch

Thanks, Butch! I totally agree with everything you said. The Legends JT CS (.600" in my case) is absolutely the most comfortable rim I've played on in my approximately 60 years of playing the trumpet, and you are correct that Derek is wonderful to do business with, and great to work with. Like you, I'm loving that rim so much that I'm thinking of having a flugel mouthpiece made with that same rim. You are correct that the Legends mouthpiece is very versatile (I use it for lead, jazz, and section playing, as well as for piccolo trumpet), and I could use it for classical music in a pinch, but that's stretching it a bit past the limit.

I do lots of classical gigs, and have to play lots of jobs with symphony players and other orchestral players, so I'm having Derek make me a mouthpiece that has a broader, more open sound (more open backbore, slightly deeper cup) to better match those other classical trumpet players, yet still keep the same excellent JT CS rim and original throat size, so that the "blow" and feel of that mouthpiece isn't too different from the original JT CS that I use for lead and jazz (and piccolo) playing. It has become too difficult for me to switch back and forth between an extremely different classical mouthpiece (with larger throat and much deeper cup) and my lead/piccolo 'piece, taking too long to adjust to the mouthpiece change. Thanks again for your thoughts on this!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: