• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Post Mt. Vernon Mouthpiece

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scuba Steve wrote:
So, you guys are saying it's all about a little snake oil along with some smoke and mirrors. I thought so. Thank you.

No, I don't think that is what they are saying, at least not in the absolute terms you have chosen to use.

The Bach company did not throw away all the tooling when they moved to Elkhart, Indiana and then immediately replace it with new tooling. As such, early Elkhart trumpets and mouthpieces were made with most of the same tooling as the later Mt Vernon trumpets and mouthpieces. I'm not sure how many of the craftsmen made the move, but I'm sure there were personnel changes when the move happened, so especially in the case of the trumpets, there were differences right away, but not as much as down the road as worn-out tooling was replaced as needed. I think the differences would be less with the mouthpiece production as that requires less labor and would be less influenced by differences in the craftsman involved.

So early Elkhart trumpets and especially early Elkhart mouthpieces can be considered to be closer in specs to the Mt Vernon trumpets and mouthpieces.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 3 Mt. Vernon 7Cs. They are all different. You can't generalize about any of the early Bach mouthpieces. You can't even generalize about the Corp. models. They too were different, especially as they were made for many years. The same goes for the trumpets. If possible try before you buy. If it is a $500 mouthpiece then be sure to try it, as there are dogs mixed in with the gems.
Scuba Steve

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of interesting opinions here. Thank you all for helping me understand both sides of this topic.
Aqua Lung Zephyr Mask
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: