• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Vincent Bach trumpet mouthpiece, Model: 1 1/2 C Plastic? Rim

View previous topic :: View next topic  
UKtrumpetman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:31 am    Post subject: Vincent Bach trumpet mouthpiece, Model: 1 1/2 C Plastic? Rim Reply with quote

Hi - it's been a while
I've been given one of these and quite like it. Does anyone know a bit more about them? They are listed in a VB brochure but they are not available in the UK. The marking of C 11/2c on the shank has me confused - what does the first C mean

All the best
[img]https://imgur.com/Dmi5hok[/img]
Mike Prestage
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The C could mean that the rim is the same shape as the usual 1 1/2C (rather than 1 1/2B). The markings look unusual though - does it have Vincent Bach stamped on it?

Mike
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like someones plastic "copy" of a Bach 1 1/2 C .. hard to tell without a picture..

General interpretation - the "1 1/2" describes the interior diameter of the rim and the "C" is the cup shape/depth.
Faxx, Mutec, Kelly, and other make plastic mouthpieces
Retired Air Force Bandsman
UKtrumpetman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Mike Prestage"]The C could mean that the rim is the same shape as the usual 1 1/2C (rather than 1 1/2B). The markings look unusual though - does it have Vincent Bach stamped on it?

Mike[/quote]

Hi Mike - yes VB stamp on the other side and boxed.
Cheers
UKtrumpetman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="zaferis"]Sounds like someones plastic "copy" of a Bach 1 1/2 C .. hard to tell without a picture..

General interpretation - the "1 1/2" describes the interior diameter of the rim and the "C" is the cup shape/depth.
Faxx, Mutec, Kelly, and other make plastic mouthpieces[/quote]
There is a picture - see first post, but here it is again https://imgur.com/Dmi5hok

Not a cheap copy see reply to mike above

Cheers
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like normal Bach markings to me. The two C's seem redundant. No markings on the rim?
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't look like a Bach to me.. someone's version of a MegaTone mouthpiece cut for a screw on rim, with a delrin (plastic) rim.

Sound good? Feel Good? Do you like it? If so use it. If not put in a box and find something else.

Personally, I'm skeptical - my impression is that it's a knock-off and I'd question the specs. "Nice looking mouthpiece-like object"
Mike Prestage
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
Doesn't look like a Bach to me.. someone's version of a MegaTone mouthpiece cut for a screw on rim, with a delrin (plastic) rim.

Sound good? Feel Good? Do you like it? If so use it. If not put in a box and find something else.

Personally, I'm skeptical - my impression is that it's a knock-off and I'd question the specs. "Nice looking mouthpiece-like object"

+1 - I'd be more certain if I'd seen the rest of the stamping but, based on that photo, I'm very doubtful that this is a genuine Bach mouthpiece. If it plays well for you, I can't see why it would matter

Mike
UKtrumpetman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I had never reset my password - such negative and "holier than though" responses.

I asked "Does anyone know a bit more about them?" - yet the armchair internet police are activated and off we go.

I have just discovered they are listed here https://www.bachbrass.com/application/files/4614/8521/7763/AV2BA901_Original_1889_web.pdf Page 31

Stuff it, stuff your negativity - no more of this for me - I will contact the UK VB dealer whoose name is on the VB box and find out myself

You will not be hearing from me again
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UK, don't sweat it. It is a Bach. I've seen similar markings on screw rim bottoms. Yours is a standard megatone, with a delrin rim. The rim might not be stamped because plastic isn't conducive to stamping. The megatone has a slightly larger hole than normal. In the US, we give the drill bits numbers, so the megatone has a 26 sized opening. Normally, Bach uses a 27 size. If you want, you can look up the sizes on google. The 27 bit= 3.65 mm, more or less. Bach doesn't make solide delrin mouthpieces, so if somebody wants a delrin rim, they need to order a screw rim. Good luck with it!
Mike Prestage
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UKtrumpetman wrote:
I wish I had never reset my password

Likewise... If you only got responses from people saying what you wanted to hear, what would be the point?

Mike
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UKtrumpetman wrote:
I wish I had never reset my password - such negative and "holier than though" responses.

I asked "Does anyone know a bit more about them?" - yet the armchair internet police are activated and off we go.

"Holier than thou" really.. not intended in that manner at all.. just noting and pointing out that you're probably not going to know anything about the mouthpiece in hand if it's not actually a Bach. I don't see the word "Bach" in this picture AND the font is not the same as what VB has used. Additionally, something not authentic looking with the shine of the silver, almost chrome looking, not what I expect to see with an old Bach.
Great, you now have information on Bach mouthpieces (really would have thought you started there) BUT I doubt (which is an opinion that I'll stick with- is not an insult to you) that you have an authentic Bach, thus the specs you're looking at from the Bach manual mean little to nothing in regard to your mouthpiece.

IF this sets you off.. you've taken it completely the wrong way.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
UKtrumpetman wrote:

"Holier than thou" really.. not intended in that manner at all.. just noting and pointing out that you're probably not going to know anything about the mouthpiece in hand if it's not actually a Bach. I don't see the word "Bach" in this picture AND the font is not the same as what VB has used. Additionally, something not authentic looking with the shine of the silver, almost chrome looking, not what I expect to see with an old Bach.
Great, you now have information on Bach mouthpieces (really would have thought you started there) BUT I doubt (which is an opinion that I'll stick with- is not an insult to you) that you have an authentic Bach, thus the specs you're looking at from the Bach manual mean little to nothing in regard to your mouthpiece.

IF this sets you off.. you've taken it completely the wrong way.

Agreed.

Disregarding the plastic rim, the bottom silver plated brass part of the mouthpiece is the relevant part. Bach Megatone mouthpieces are from the late 80's or early 90's going forward so the script was standardized. First of all, it would say "Vincent Bach" immediately prior to the size, which it does not. It wouldn't have a random "C" before the number of the size. Also, while there were variations in how they did the "1/2" over the years in Bach, they hadn't stacked the 1/2 vertically like in your piece since the 60's and they didn't start making Megatone models until several decades later.

Here's a good resource for Bach mouthpiece lettering through the decades:

https://www.bachloyalist.com/bach-mouthpieces-lettering-variations/
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: