• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Thinking about a Prana

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Thinking about a Prana Reply with quote

I have been playing Monette for about a year now and I am thinking about upgrading to a Prana. I checked a few stores and none seem to have the size I am looking for (B3S3). Id prefer to try it before I buy it. Any suggestions?

Also, what can I expect to be different with the Prana?
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't necessarily view it as an "upgrade" - for some players, on some horns, it'll feel great whilst for other players on other horns it just won't produce the desired results.

As always with a mouthpiece change, ask yourself "what am I looking to achieve, here?"
Is there something about your current piece that you don't like, or would like to improve on?
If your current Monette is working great, is there any need to change it?
Is the marketing convincing to you?
Will you be satisfied with going back to your current piece if it turns out not to work as well for you?

It's very easy to chase magic bullets - if you're making good progress with what you're using, I'd be tempted to stick with it, it's not a change that can't be made at a later date.
WoodsysMusic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a B2S3 Prana in stock! We also have a return policy if you decide it's not for you. If you're interested, follow the link below.

https://www.woodsysmusic.com/collections/trumpet-mouthpieces/products/monette-stc-1-prana-series-trumpet-mouthpieces?variant=8636993601646

Or if you have any questions feel free to call or email!
330-673-1525
www.woodsysmusic.com
banddept@woodsys.com
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet a few places have the popular B2S3... but OP mentioned the less common B3S3?
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, I love my Prana MP.

But...I have always played Prana MPs but never a non Prana Monette. I suspect the difference is subtle, and you would only notice that difference if you had played on the other for a good bit of time. Now...if the subtleness is better or worse...that's a judgement call.
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was playing a Classic XLT B4S S2, I bought a Prana LT B4LD S1 81 for "lead" playing. I liked it at first but I wasn't efficient enough to play it longterm. I sold it and continued on. As I got better I explored other Monettes and eventually got up the courage to try Prana again. This time was a different story. I love the sound. I now play a Prana Resonance STC B4S S2 and Prana Resonance LT B4LD S1.

The Classic line has an edginess to the sound that makes them cut and project but the Prana has a denser, more complex sound without sacrificing power. They're definitely not for everyone, every horn, every playing environment but I'm glad to have given it another shot.
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin_soda wrote:
When I was playing a Classic XLT B4S S2, I bought a Prana LT B4LD S1 81 for "lead" playing. I liked it at first but I wasn't efficient enough to play it longterm. I sold it and continued on. As I got better I explored other Monettes and eventually got up the courage to try Prana again. This time was a different story. I love the sound. I now play a Prana Resonance STC B4S S2 and Prana Resonance LT B4LD S1.

The Classic line has an edginess to the sound that makes them cut and project but the Prana has a denser, more complex sound without sacrificing power. They're definitely not for everyone, every horn, every playing environment but I'm glad to have given it another shot.

Thank you for this, Kevin. Maybe I'll try a non prana if I can get my hands on one that is my size. I agree with the Prana sounding more complex, and dense.
chapahi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking about a Prana Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:

I played a B2 for a while then got the B2 Prana. There's a big difference. The Prana is bigger sounding, more colorful and freer blowing. The standard B2 was still useful after getting the Prana because it's easier to handle.
WoodsysMusic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
I bet a few places have the popular B2S3... but OP mentioned the less common B3S3?

Ah, I read that too fast Thanks for pointing that out!

We just sold our B3S3 Prana 2 weeks ago. I think we may have another on the way though...
330-673-1525
www.woodsysmusic.com
banddept@woodsys.com
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larger throat, back-bore is thinner at the end. Tone is livelier than a Classic. As the blow is far more open, it takes more air and some have stated that this might have an effect on endurance. I agree with Dave Monette's description in that the there are more tonal variations (not as dead) as the Classic. I own both Classic and Prana pieces. I can "lean on" the Classic more because of the increased resistance afforded by the smaller throat. I prefer the Prana sound. I'd love to have a Prana BL5; however, no one seems to have it in stock and the current wait time to have a piece made by Monette is up to 12 weeks.

I have owned many Prana pieces over the years and presently own the Monette Prana Lynn Nicholson in an XLT blank and the Monette Classic BL5 in an XLT blank. Hope this helps.
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like eBay has a couple for sale. Go get em!
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slaw ... no BL5 Prana on eBay; however, I am in the hunt for one in an XLT blank
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Russell, meant to say a B3S3 on Ebay. I've been really tempted to get the B6LV since I play B6 sizes, but the wait......sigh.

What's the difference between the L being before or after the second number?
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was using Monette mouthpieces, I was playing a BL XLT. Tried the same in Prana, for me it worked fine on my Benge 3X+, not so much on my Wild Thing. Maybe the larger throat in combination with the WT large bore and bell was just too open. For me.

Brad
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
When I was using Monette mouthpieces, I was playing a BL XLT. Tried the same in Prana, for me it worked fine on my Benge 3X+, not so much on my Wild Thing. Maybe the larger throat in combination with the WT large bore and bell was just too open. For me.

Brad

Aloha, Brad

Did you try using (or have) one of the smaller tuning slides (maybe the #2) for the WT? Curious if that might have helped.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theslawdawg wrote:
Brad361 wrote:

Brad

Aloha, Brad

Did you try using (or have) one of the smaller tuning slides (maybe the #2) for the WT? Curious if that might have helped.

Actually, I do have all but the smallest tuning slides, both braced and “J.” I’m not really saying the Prana didn’t work, it just worked better on the Benge.

Brad
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
theslawdawg wrote:
Brad361 wrote:

Brad

Aloha, Brad

Actually, I do have all but the smallest tuning slides, both braced and “J.” I’m not really saying the Prana didn’t work, it just worked better on the Benge.

Brad

Got it.

I'm embarrassed to say I've never tried any other tuning slide. The #1 has been on there fo-evah.

Mahalo...
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking about a Prana Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:

A little less resistance. The tuning will be better. You might have to pull the main slide until you get used to it.

I find that I play a little louder than I want to in the soft sections. I don't hear it when I play but, I hear it when I listen to recordings. If you can work with it, you should last longer because you don't have to push things.
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, now I'm going to try a non Prana. Thanks alot people.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theslawdawg wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
theslawdawg wrote:
Brad361 wrote:

Brad

Aloha, Brad

Brad

Got it.

I'm embarrassed to say I've never tried any other tuning slide. The #1 has been on there fo-evah.

Mahalo...

Heck, I would not be embarrassed about that, if the 1 works, no real reason to try something else....though most of us trumpet gear head types usually do.😉
I guess if you did want to try something another size though, if Flip has any inventory left now might be the time to do it.

FWIW, I find the 1 to work best as well, though I happen to like the unbraced J1 version a bit better, that’s what I use these days.

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: