• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

markfreitas

View previous topic :: View next topic  
markfreitas

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:11 pm    Post subject: markfreitas Reply with quote

OK, let me start by saying that Wynton is my favorite trumpet/cornet player of all time!
My favorite cornet/band music recording is Carnaval, featuring Wynton and the Eastman Wind Ensemble under the direction of Donald Hunsberger. At the age of 15, my first trumpet teacher, Chris Jorgensen, introduced me to the wonderful world of cornet solos as played by Gerard Schwartz on "Cornet Favorites". I grew to love playing the beautiful melodies and flashy technical variations! My second teacher was Bob Nielsen, who encouraged me in deeper studies of Arban and Clarke. Finally, Dr. Ritchie Clendenin led me across the finish line as a trumpet performance major at CSU, Fresno. He always included great cornet repertoire in our studies.
Ritchie also introduced my friend Mike Caldwell and me to Wynton's recording of the Hummel and Haydn Concertos, which we used as our inspiration in prep for our senior recitals.
When it comes to jazz, anything Wynton records is golden to me. Whether it's a smaller ensemble on "Joe Cool's Blues" or the many Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra recordings, he sets the standard of excellence, creativity and versatility!

LA Benge 3x MLP
Benge 90C Leonore
Schilke E3L D/Eb
Schilke P5-4 picc
Yamaha 631 Flugel
Conn 80A cornets
York and Sons Professional Cornet w/shephard's crook

Last edited by markfreitas on Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:19 am; edited 1 time in total
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly! Wynton’s sound is incredible and unique. I have always tried to sound like him and I aim to get closer every day! His recordings are absolutely flawless, and apparently he is even more spectacular live.
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject: "No Him, No Me." Reply with quote

For aspiring trumpeters my age and younger, I believe Wynton Marsalis is going to be known as the player who stoked musical interest in the instrument, much like Herb Alpert, Maynard Ferguson, Al Hirt, Doc Severinsen, Dizzy Gillespie, Harry James, and Louis Armstrong did in the decades before. And that Wynton Marsalis did so without trying to play pop or crossover (at least earlier in his career) should be even more to his credit; he simultaneously introduced many in my generation to the beauty of jazz and classical, against a music scene dominated by '80s New Wave, Hip-Hop, multi-platinum Pop, Hair Metal Bands, '90s Grunge, et cetera. I built my jazz collection by first making a list of all the players that Stanley Crouch mentioned in the liner notes of Wynton's first solo recordings, and branched out from there. The first live jazz concert I attended had Wynton as a headliner. By the mid 1990s I had every jazz recording he made, and most of his classical for good measure. I can give a large amount of credit to Wynton Marsalis for both my interest in learning to play the trumpet, and my broader interests as a music fan.
markfreitas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject: Wynton Marsalis Recordings Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:
Exactly! Wynton’s sound is incredible and unique. I have always tried to sound like him and I aim to get closer every day! His recordings are absolutely flawless, and apparently he is even more spectacular live.

My wife and I saw him and the JLCO at Orchestra Hall in Minneapolis years ago.
The best Big Band of all time! He's also a fun MC, very relaxed, witty and informative.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could still sing you every note of Wynton's "Standard Time Vol. 1" album. Critical for me when I was in high school.

Lately I've been revisiting the old "Live at Blues Alley" which remains utterly astonishing and inspirational. Man, his playing on "Just Friends" is sublime.
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
Lately I've been revisiting the old "Live at Blues Alley" which remains utterly astonishing and inspirational. Man, his playing on "Just Friends" is sublime.

Yes!
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:55 pm    Post subject: markfreitas Reply with quote

So many good comments here. To have teachers that used cornet studies and cornetists who played their stuff is great. I became familiar more with the cornet in college being given one to use in symphonic band. Easier to progress on difficult technical studies (I think) and a sound different than the Connstellation 36b I played at that time. A few years later I bought a Benge 5 and loved the broad sound and projection. In the seventies I was a serious MF guy and Bill Chase. But, for a career contributing to both jazz and classical I give a nod to Wynton. He has tried to make all forms of music enjoyable to nearly two generations of people now. Growing up getting to see the NY philharmonic concerts on CBS I admired Leonard Bernstein who always promoted all types of music and his desire was to have all people "love" music. Wynton is the same with the trumpet. This is the kind of topic that I love reading from. Thanks, markfreitas
markfreitas

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject: Wynton Marsalis recordings Reply with quote

blbaumgarn wrote:
So many good comments here. To have teachers that used cornet studies and cornetists who played their stuff is great. I became familiar more with the cornet in college being given one to use in symphonic band. Easier to progress on difficult technical studies (I think) and a sound different than the Connstellation 36b I played at that time. A few years later I bought a Benge 5 and loved the broad sound and projection. In the seventies I was a serious MF guy and Bill Chase. But, for a career contributing to both jazz and classical I give a nod to Wynton. He has tried to make all forms of music enjoyable to nearly two generations of people now. Growing up getting to see the NY philharmonic concerts on CBS I admired Leonard Bernstein who always promoted all types of music and his desire was to have all people "love" music. Wynton is the same with the trumpet. This is the kind of topic that I love reading from. Thanks, markfreitas

Thanks for your insights and kind words. I've just posted more info on the Cornet/Flugel forum. Would love to hear your thoughts!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Recordings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: