• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Some Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
creed61101

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject: Some Questions Reply with quote

I’ve been trying to get into Caruso, but I want to make sure that I’m doing it correctly. If I do the interval studies at the end of my practice session, when I’m already tired, would I get less benefit than doing them at the beginning? Also, when the book says not to force, should the notes be played with as little pressure as possible or is there an aspect to forcing I’m missing?
TrpPro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Some Questions Reply with quote

Good questions. First question is easy to answer. The second one not so easy.

creed61101 wrote:
If I do the interval studies at the end of my practice session, when I’m already tired, would I get less benefit than doing them at the beginning?

The Caruso exercises should be done first thing when you practice so that your embouchure is at its most rested state. You don't need to "warm up" to start practicing. Many students view The Six Notes and the Seconds as their warm up. You suspected that they might be less beneficial when you're tired and you are right. The most gain will be experienced by doing the exercises when the embouchure is fully rested.
creed61101 wrote:
Also, when the book says not to force, should the notes be played with as little pressure as possible or is there an aspect to forcing I’m missing?

If I were to write an update to MCFB, I would leave out the sentence that says "don't force." I agree with you that it can be confusing.
I could go on at length about this, but the best advice I can give you is that you may use all the pressure (a form of manipulation) you want, but only as long as you are following the Four Rules exactly. Following the 4 Rules will prevent any kind of injury from occurring due to various forms of manipulation that may be implemented to (especially) reach the higher notes. Eventually all of these manipulations that might be employed will be reduced to a minimum.

As always, when practicing non Caruso music do NOT attempt to willfully apply the Caruso techniques.
pepperdean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good answer by TrpPro. I want to just expand a little further:

Following the Rules prevents damage from the strenuous practice of the Caruso routine - and it should be played first thing. This practice can set your playing for the remainder of the day. I've found that an early morning Caruso session very effectively eliminates the remnants of a tough day of gigs and gets me ready for performances on a succeeding day.

As to the second part of your questions, Caruso exercises allow your chops to develop adaptations to physical demands. At my first lesson, Carmine spoke of the "pressure" of the lips against the mouthpiece, working to neutralize the incoming horn pressure. If you consciously withhold pressure during your Caruso practice, you short-circuit the ability to develop this particular adaptation.

Jump in. Follow the rules and go for it. You'll be happy with the results.

Alan
windandsong
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the start of the day.

Tap your foot, this is SO important I think.

Don't worry about the sound you're producing, it will come.

It takes time to develop with this I have found, literally years but once it clicks it really settles your playing with a firm foundation.

G
#7 pipe
harryjamesworstnightmare
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should not be any forcing of the tone.
Bach Strad 43 Sterling Silver Plus
Getzen Proteus
Yamaha 6335HS
Olds Super
Olds Mendez
Getzen Custom 3850 Cornet
Conn 80A
Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn

Last edited by harryjamesworstnightmare on Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

harryjamesworstnightmare wrote:
There should not be any forcing of the tone. Think of the trumpet as your voice. If you sing in a forced manner it probably doesn't sound very good. Imagine yourself singing the exercises and let that sound come out of your bell.

Since this is the Caruso forum, I would ask you to refrain from continuing this. In Caruso's calisthenics the focus must be on the Four Rules and tone is to be disregarded during practice of the calisthenics.
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
gstump
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play with abandon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: