• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

KTM naturally, I think

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Kitchen_Sink

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:50 pm    Post subject: KTM naturally, I think Reply with quote

Hi All,

I recently got into working through CG’s SA, and I was getting tripped up trying to follow the directions for KTM. Then, working on a Marcello cello sonata, going back and forth between single tonguing a movement and double tonguing it, I realized my normal tonguing is KTM/dorsal tonguing—I think—and it has been for more than 25 years on euphonium and trombone and now a handful of years on trumpet. I just don’t know if I’m doing it “correctly.”

The best way I can describe what I think I’m doing is to gently touch the tip of your tongue to a spot around the bottom of the back of your bottom teeth. Now start talking out loud like that. You should have a kind of lisp. Now say “taco taco taco” while maintaining that lisp. That “ta,” with the tongue tip remaining down and the air stream being interrupted by an area of the tongue a short distance from the tip and closer to its center striking the roof of the mouth, is my natural, generic single tongue. The tip isn’t stuck there because I think it is in different places for different types of articulations. I never thought about it before and just listened for the sound that came out the bell to be what I wanted.

Does that sound about right for KTM, or is this something else entirely?

Thanks for any help!

-Brian
1982-83 Selmer C700 ML C
1985-86 Getzen Eterna Picc
1947-ish Reynolds "Professional" Cornet
1975-ish Yamaha 631 Flugelhorn
Mark Curry 5 Rims
acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds about right! FWIW, I've been taught that the the tip of the tongue can eventually "float" around some, it shouldn't be rigid or forced to stay in one exact spot.
The_Kitchen_Sink

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

acritzer wrote:
Sounds about right! FWIW, I've been taught that the the tip of the tongue can eventually "float" around some, it shouldn't be rigid or forced to stay in one exact spot.

Thanks—that helps! Mine does float around, too, depending on it seems all sorts of things, but its home base is behind the bottom teeth.
1982-83 Selmer C700 ML C
1985-86 Getzen Eterna Picc
1947-ish Reynolds "Professional" Cornet
1975-ish Yamaha 631 Flugelhorn
Mark Curry 5 Rims
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you're clearly one of the many who naturally happen to tongue using KTM. In my years performing in Europe each and every time I encountered a top level player and asked about how he tongued, I got two and only two answers. Either they knew they tongued with KTM or they had to think about it and pay attention to their tongue for a moment and they came to realize they tongued in the KTM manner.

And regarding the tongue tip moving around in the area behind the bottom front teeth, that is exactly right. The tip will move about depending on the range and volume being played. Sometimes it will be down low below the gum line, and other times the tip will be right up at the tops of the backs of the bottom front teeth.

As Claude taught me, the tongue should never be held rigid or forced to press against the backs of the bottom teeth - in fact for most players, the tongue tip will only be in contact with the backs of the bottom front teeth during the instant of articulation and then will pull back a bit from the backs of the teeth, except in the very high register, where contact will be maintained even as the note is sustained. In other words, the tongue tip should never be "anchored" anywhere, and that is why Claude (and I) do not like the term "Anchor Tonguing".

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Trumpet Player and Teacher
Personal Valet to a Malamute (people with Malamutes will understand)
https://i.postimg.cc/R0G2bFdQ/IMG-6788.jpg
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: