• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New 800DLX Eterna Deluxe Cornet - Hot off the presses

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1957Tim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Adam,

I was privileged to meet you at the ITG in Anaheim, and was able to play a prototype cornet you had there. Was this the early prototype of your new 800DLX? I was just curious, and would love to have the opportunity of giving one a blow sometime. If it plays as nice as it looks, it would definitely be a keeper.

-1957Tim
Adam R. Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1957Tim wrote:
Hi Adam,

I was privileged to meet you at the ITG in Anaheim, and was able to play a prototype cornet you had there. Was this the early prototype of your new 800DLX? I was just curious, and would love to have the opportunity of giving one a blow sometime. If it plays as nice as it looks, it would definitely be a keeper.

-1957Tim

We developed the 800DLX just this year so you likely played the Edwards X-7 cornet, not the Getzen.
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

austincustombrass wrote:
I played this horn briefly at the US open Championships yesterday and was extremely impressed. It's a beautiful horn and quite stunning. It has a wonderful feel in the hands with good balance and of course the amazing Getzen valves. The horn plays very smoothly with great responsiveness. Intonation is excellent as well.

I hope to play the horn a bit more in the future!

-T

Trent,
Did this horn strike you as one that may have qualities that jazz players look for? I have a great large bore Eterna 800 that I love for jazz, but didn’t like the 3850 model for that purpose. Which model does the new horn more closely resemble, if either.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam, thanks for the info on the sterling leadpipe. Looking forward to testing the horn, maybe at Bertram in Freiburg?
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertram has ordered some. I would let them know you are interested in trying when they come in.

I only say that because I have been in correspondence with several potential Bertram customers about the 800DLX. Not sure how long they will last in the store.

Brett

Follow Getzen on:
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/getzencompany/

Twitter https://twitter.com/GetzenCompany

If you have a question please feel free to email me at brett@getzen.com.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know, thanks!
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
Meha madness

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been playing the New Getzen 800DLX, it is a very fine axe for jazz, which really all I play, it's flexible and has a great palette, many colors.
I am sorting out the mouthpiece horn combo, but getting that sorted out. I will say the fit and finish is top notch and the valves are amazing, I even put lighter springs than the stock springs so the action is very light no sticking even though the valves are still breaking in... Its a great axe.
Selmer Balanced 23A trumpet
BAC Custom Model 6 Trombone
Conn 32H trombone
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam R. Getzen wrote:
Steve A wrote:
Any chance there's a C version coming next?

The next Deluxe model is another trumpet which (fingers crossed) will be present at Midwest this year. We are in the planning phase of the fourth Deluxe model and have no concrete plans on a fifth. I will think about it.

Honestly with how great the 800DLX it’s hard not to want to go back and fine tune all of the Eterna models.

+1 on this - the Eterna C cornet is already a remarkable instrument, so an upgrade could be a total game-changer!
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Picc;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
djpearlman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you buy these anywhere in U.S. now?

- Monette Cornette
- Andalusia Cornet
- Carolbrass Pocket Trumpet
- Monette mouthpieces

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5NafoVeXrsRm-fOhKaIpnA
Brassgurus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had two in stock and have one left.

https://brassgurus.com/products/getzen-800dlx-cornet

If you are interested let me know.

Eric Hand
Peninsula Music and Repair
Park Ave Music Center
1717 Park Ave
San Jose, Ca. 95126
408-279-5100 x722
eric@brassgurus.com
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam R. Getzen wrote:
markp wrote:
The list price of $2,499 is less than I would have guessed.

How does that compare to the regular 800 Eterna with a large bore and copper bell?

It is enough of an improvement that I’m embarrassed by the 800.

Hi Adam! This is quite a statement, considering how many of us like that large bore 800. Are these inner dimensions different? (Taper, bell? The .462" bore is right between the 2 800 models, but that doesn't tell us much)

How does the DLX line differ from the Custom Reserve? I don't think you came out with a Custom Reserve cornet, but is this the same "family" of design, or something else entirely?
Adam R. Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
Adam R. Getzen wrote:
markp wrote:
The list price of $2,499 is less than I would have guessed.

How does that compare to the regular 800 Eterna with a large bore and copper bell?

It is enough of an improvement that I’m embarrassed by the 800.

Hi Adam! This is quite a statement, considering how many of us like that large bore 800. Are these inner dimensions different? (Taper, bell? The .462" bore is right between the 2 800 models, but that doesn't tell us much)

How does the DLX line differ from the Custom Reserve? I don't think you came out with a Custom Reserve cornet, but is this the same "family" of design, or something else entirely?

The reason I'm somewhat embarrassed by the original 800 now is because how much better the 800DLX plays with the changes we made. Keep in mind that you can see almost all of those changes without needing to pick up a caliper.

This is nothing like what Jim Stella and I are working on for Getzen's Custom Reserve line as those instruments will be all new designs whereas the Deluxe Series is just a refinement of an already established model.
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:45 am    Post subject: New 800DLX Eterna Deluxe Cornet - Hot off the presses Reply with quote

I'm confused!!! Does this new model REPLACE the Eterna line of cornets or are they still being produced/available???

Thanks,
Butch
TRUMPE: SCHILKE B7 / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "RT1" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
Adam R. Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: New 800DLX Eterna Deluxe Cornet - Hot off the presses Reply with quote

maynard-46 wrote:
I'm confused!!! Does this new model REPLACE the Eterna line of cornets or are they still being produced/available???

Thanks,
Butch

We still currently manufacture the standard 900, 907S and 800 models.
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got around to putting this list together. Here are the first, early adopter, dealers that have received their 800DLX Cornets. These shipped in December with more to come this month.

As always, if you are interested, let your local dealer know. All Deluxe models are available to all Getzen dealers.

Ted Brown Music Company
Washington State
www.tedbrownmusic.com

Milano Music Center
Mesa, Arizona
www.milanomusic.com

Music World
Washington State
www.musicworldstores.com

Park Avenue Music Center
San Jose, California
www.1717parkmusic.com

Peninsula Music Center
Palo Alto, California
www.peninsulamusicandrepair.com

Musik Bertram
Germany
www.musik-bertram.com

Dawkes/Windcraft
England
www.dawkes.co.uk

Follow Getzen on:
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/getzencompany/

Twitter https://twitter.com/GetzenCompany

If you have a question please feel free to email me at brett@getzen.com.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
This horn is terrifying beautiful, I can imagine buying it, putting it on a stand and then look to it for ages without even playing it.

Exactly, LOL!

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Stradbrother
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got to play one today!

Unreal instrument. Fits in your hands perfectly and the finish was flawless.

Feels like an old Eterna with a little more body.

Awesome instrument
1957Tim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stradbrother,

Did you try one at a music store, or was it someone else’s horn? If the horn belonged to another player, how long have they been playing it and what are they saying about it? I love the looks of this horn and its case and all the positive comments I’ve heard/read thus far.

I’ve only played one Eterna, and it was a trumpet. I asked the fellow playing it if he would mind swapping trumpets for a tune or two. I loved the openness of this horn. I'm assuming the cornet has a pretty open blow as well, is that correct?

Thanks for any additional information you may be able to share.

-1957Tim
Stradbrother
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1957Tim wrote:
Stradbrother,

Did you try one at a music store, or was it someone else’s horn? If the horn belonged to another player, how long have they been playing it and what are they saying about it? I love the looks of this horn and its case and all the positive comments I’ve heard/read thus far.

I’ve only played one Eterna, and it was a trumpet. I asked the fellow playing it if he would mind swapping trumpets for a tune or two. I loved the openness of this horn. I'm assuming the cornet has a pretty open blow as well, is that correct?

Thanks for any additional information you may be able to share.

-1957Tim

Mine was at a music store. Park Ave. Music listed above. Played this new deluxe model right next to a regular silver plated Eterna Cornet.

Both horns played incredibly. I wish I could put it into words, but it felt like one of those horns where your sound comes out exactly as you want it to.

With my V cup mouthpiece it played dark, while having a nice brilliance to it. In the hands it does feel wonderful, but that is alongside the perk of the design. These Eternas have always felt great in the hands. Unlike a lot of other cornets, the weight of this horn feels nice and even.

The biggest difference I felt between the deluxe and the regular eterna was the visual accents. Different valve buttons and other features make the regular eterna feel like a classic 1960-1990 Getzen, the deluxe looks like a 50s horn, but with the fit, finish, and high standard of Getzen's custom series.

As people have said, the looks are absolutely striking, especially the bell engraving and the case, which is saying something because I'm the first in line to scrap a case and throw my horn in a protec.

I wish I could more accurately describe my experience, but all I can really tell you is that I am a guy that plays brass band music and traditional cornet settings, and this horn is one of, if not the best I've played.

Keep it up, Getzen. Love your work. You guys make playing a horn a much more fun experience than it already is.
1957Tim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stradbrother,

Thanks for the additional information. It’s nice to read your idea of how the new cornet plays in comparison to the regular Eterna. I thought there might be a bigger difference in the playability from what Adam Getzen has said about this new model. It appears, at least from your point of view, that the biggest difference is visual accents.

I play in a Salvation Army Brass Band, and the cornet I use is a Flip Oakes design. I’ve played this cornet for around four years and love the open blow and the fullness of its lower range. Have you ever tried one of Flip’s cornets? I would love to AB my cornet with the 800DLX. Maybe this will happen someday.

Like you, I admire what Getzen is doing in the brass world. I know the world has become a much smaller place, however, they continue to thrive in this very competitive market. That speaks volumes in my opinion.

Thanks again Stradbrother for sharing your thoughts. You’ve given this cornet a great complement. Take care my friend.

-1957Tim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: