• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New 800DLX Eterna Deluxe Cornet - Hot off the presses

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1957Tim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryJ,

Thank you for taking the time to appease my curiosity. I noticed in another post you mentioned that you were using Flip’s extreme mouthpiece with your 3850. Are you using this piece with the 800DLX as well? Four years ago I purchased Flip’s extreme mouthpiece for trumpet, cornet, and flugelhorn, along with his more standard piece. I let my teacher try my extreme piece in his cornet, and it changed his sound to the point that one might think he was playing a different horn, so he ordered one just to expand his sound options. I use the extreme flugelhorn piece more than I do the trumpet or cornet, however, I’m glad to have them at my disposal.

Due to your comments about receiving your new cornet a few days late I’m assuming you live in the Chicago area. There is a very fine cornet player in the Chicago area that plays the new 800DLX with The Salvation Army’s Chicago Staff Band. He has said some great things about the playing characteristics of this horn as well. I’ve yet to read one negative comment about this new cornet model, so I’m thinking Getzen has hit this one out of the park. I can’t wait to try one.

In the opening post of this thread, Brett posted a few pictures of the cornet case. Is it as nice in real life as it appears in the picture?

Well, thanks again for sharing Barry. I’m sure your trumpet/cornet buddies will want to give this new horn a blow when you're able to get back to playing, so let us know what they have to say about it.

God bless,

-1957Tim
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:52 am    Post subject: New 800DLX Eterna Deluxe Cornet - Hot off the presses Reply with quote

I've been looking to try one of these since Brett said they were shipping and have yet to find any online. I usually purchase my horns via WW&BW but, at least on their site, they have yet to show up. Are ther in VERY limited supplies or am I missing something???? Maybe one of you can point me in the correct direction as to a place that stocks them and, preferably, a place that has a trial period.

Thanks in advance!
Butch
TRUMPE: SCHILKE B7 / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "RT1" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody compared the regular 800 with the 800DLX? If so, is there much difference between the two? I can see that they use different alloys, but how does that translate into how they compare?
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to jump in quick and add something to this thread.

Right now, thanks to coronavirus, 800DLX are extremely hard to find. We had shipped several out pre-shut down order, but a majority of those were sold before even hitting the shelves. We also have several on open order right now, but with no way of producing them, we haven't been able to ship any out for a while. Not to mention many dealers aren't taking delivery right now until things pick up a bit. As for WWBW, they were talking about bringing on the Deluxe Series pre-coronavirus, but those plans have obviously stalled.

The good news is we should be returning to some form of production in the next few weeks. We are putting the final touches on our return plan that includes a good deal of health and safety protocols. Now we just need our dealers to open back up and begin taking instruments again.

If you are interested in an 800DLX, or any other Getzen instrument, let your dealer know. If WWBW is your preferred source, tell them you want to see it on their site. Retailers are always reluctant to take a chance on something new in the best of times, even more so now.

As for the 800DLX specifically, I think Barry's review summed it up pretty well. That is almost word for word what we have heard from everyone that's bought one. And for how it compares to the 800 Eterna I would direct you to reviews of the 900DLX vs the 900 Eterna. We thought the 900DLX was a huge improvement over the original 900, but it's nothing compared to the 800DLX over the 800 Eterna. It's so much better we could have easily made it a 4800 and put it in the Custom Reserve line instead.

Follow Getzen on:
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/getzencompany/

Twitter https://twitter.com/GetzenCompany

If you have a question please feel free to email me at brett@getzen.com.
BarryJ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tim,

Yes, I'm using the Flip Oaks signature XD mouthpiece with the 800DLX model. The original mouthpiece came with a #16 bore on the throat, which is quite large by conventional standards, but I reamed the mouthpiece out to a #14 (i.e. two sizes larger) in order to get even more sound out of my 3850 cornet. The added width further darkened the tone and gave me exactly what I wanted. On the new 800DLX the Flip Oaks mouthpiece, which is larger than a Bach 1 with a deep V-shaped cup, delivers a truly vintage cornet tone.
1957Tim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Brett Getzen,

You mentioned in an earlier post that you would be returning to some form of production in early July. I’m assuming this has happened, and that the lovely 800DLX is again available for purchase. Is this correct?

I am still infatuated with this cornet, so if anyone has recently purchased or played one please share your experience. Thanks, it scratches my itch for more information.

-1957Tim
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are back to production and have been since late July. This includes 800DLX cornets.

Follow Getzen on:

Les Gladdis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet, Seen UK availability at Dawkes. Now to save up.
(The Future Queen Victoria)
austincustombrass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI I have one in my own collection and play it often. It's a remarkably wonderful cornet and extremely versatile depending on mouthpiece and style application. This video below shows me playing more of what I do (improvisation) but I think there's absolutely nothing this horn couldn't do.

Bravo team Getzen!

Link

Regards,

T

It's a shame how far this forum has fallen. If you need us call 816-410-0826 or email.

Cool Links here:
https://linktr.ee/austincustombrass
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things. Trent, if you were playing that horn at a gig, I would pay large bucks just to come hear it and you. And second, that's the first cornet I've heard in a long time that would make me want to buy a new horn. My goodness what a sound. Well done.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, there isn't much I am missing this year with all of the tradeshows being cancelled. Anyone who has ever talked to me at one knows they are not my favorite way to pass the time. I will say though that I miss being able to actually hear our instruments in players' hands. Looking at them on the shelf doesn't do it for me and play testing just isn't the same. Trent definitely scratched an itch for me with this video and, dare I say, made me miss things like the NAMM Show.

Trent, thank you for the high praise on the 800DLX. It really is something special. I will be sure to pass it along to everyone here.

Follow Getzen on:

austincustombrass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
Two things. Trent, if you were playing that horn at a gig, I would pay large bucks just to come hear it and you. And second, that's the first cornet I've heard in a long time that would make me want to buy a new horn. My goodness what a sound. Well done.

Thank you. Honestly this is the first cornet I have played in a long, long time that works for me. Plus the balance in my hand is perfect, the craftsmanship exquisite, the valves incredible, and the response close to what I want to hear in my head (I need to practice more to get it even closer). We are so impressed with this horn we are hopeful to open up with them as dealers for these!

Best,
Trent

It's a shame how far this forum has fallen. If you need us call 816-410-0826 or email.

Cool Links here:
austincustombrass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getzen wrote:
You know, there isn't much I am missing this year with all of the tradeshows being cancelled. Anyone who has ever talked to me at one knows they are not my favorite way to pass the time. I will say though that I miss being able to actually hear our instruments in players' hands. Looking at them on the shelf doesn't do it for me and play testing just isn't the same. Trent definitely scratched an itch for me with this video and, dare I say, made me miss things like the NAMM Show.

Trent, thank you for the high praise on the 800DLX. It really is something special. I will be sure to pass it along to everyone here.

Thanks for making me smile! You should be incredibly proud of this instrument (and everything else I have seen from Getzen these past few years has been so impressive). I almost miss the cacophony of the trade show floors. Almost... I do miss seeing everyone so very much. Here's to a hopeful Midwest 2021 crazy exhibit floor!

Cheers,
t

Cool Links here:
Mike L
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked out your video playing the 800 dlx Trent, (beautiful playing btw) and for the first time after playing trumpet professionally for over 30 years I thought; Hm, I need to get a cornet! A truly beautiful horn. So I hope you have dealers in Scandinavia that will import and sell the instrument mr Getzen. One thing I am curious about is; Is the cornet a heavy/medium or lightweight instrument?

Cheers

/Mike

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTvswIFrRNnr-Cn8HuRzdpA
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

We have several European dealers/distributors that would be able to help you get an 800DLX. If you go to https://www.getzen.com/dealer/ you can see the list.

As for weight, I would say it is more of a medium weight instrument. That is a very subjective term to use because there is no industry standard. Also, it was not a focal point of the design of the 800DLX. We didn't go into it to make it intentionally heavy or light. If that makes any sense.

Follow Getzen on:

Mike L
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Brett. I will definitely check it out.

Cheers

/Mike

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTvswIFrRNnr-Cn8HuRzdpA
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be really interested in trying one of these out. Thanks for the dealer link.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
austincustombrass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgaiii wrote:
Would be really interested in trying one of these out. Thanks for the dealer link.

FYI I think we just placed our first order with Getzen/Edwards a few days ago to become a dealer. Reach out to Josh (josh@austincustombrass.com) if you have any additional questions. I do know we ordered the cornet and trumpet Eterna Deluxe horns as well as an X-13 (and maybe more). I am so glad I bought this cornet to really spur me on to finally becoming a dealer for this awesome company. We are so excited to get the first batch!

Played the cornet last night. It's so much fun!
-T

Cool Links here:
Shawnino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dealer link needs a once over.
Mike's Music is listed as a dealer in Canada. The website linked to saysthey folded in 2017.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getzen has rolled back the clock on the "Classic", "Sererinsen" Model because it got sway from its strength. Is this the same rolled-back model to the early 90s Shephard's-crook model or a different bird, altogether?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: