• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mouthpiece Upgrade Paths

View previous topic :: View next topic  
E_Smith

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject: Mouthpiece Upgrade Paths Reply with quote

Hello all. I've got a question that I hope you can give me some answers for. As you can tell by the title of the thread, I'm looking for a new mouthpiece. Currently, I'm using a King 7C, which can be found at : https://www.ellismusic.com/p-15872-king-7c-silver-plated-trumpet-mouthpiece.aspx
I can play a solid high G (concert F5), and a pretty okay high C (on a good day). I can play a little higher, but don't expect me to do it in the music. Don't expect a high C from me either (unless I'm feeling good/cocky). That's my problem. My lips can get tired pretty quickly. (That's what happens with deeper mp's, or so I'm told). But if you give me a 5-second breather, and I can play a bit better. I'm wondering if a different mouthpiece could perhaps be less stressful on my chops and perhaps help my high range (a little). I've been looking at Yamaha's Bobby Shew Lead mouthpiece for a potential upgrade, but I don't want to waste $40 on a mouthpiece that won't benefit me. Well... that's all I've got. Opinions?
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, there is no such thing as a "magic" mouthpiece. The problems you describe are related to the details of your physical condition/embouchure/technique. They are not related to the mouthpiece. There is no mouthpiece that can fix weakness or faulty fundamentals and the issues you describe are all related to weak/faulty/ineffective/inefficient/self defeating fundamentals.

A mouthpiece change will surely bring some change (all mouthpiece changes do that) but you won't really find solutions to fundamental problems in a mouthpiece change. To resolve the issues you describe you have to increase your physical strength and develop sound fundamentals.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those elusive 'fundamentals' for increasing range and endurance - here are my thoughts.

1) The lip MUST be 'able to vibrate'.
That means the lip can't be smashed flat by mouthpiece pressure with the goal of squeaking out a high note! Also the lip can't be stretched thin like a rubber band to make it higher pitched - that leads to lip pain and injury.

Just about everyone suggests 'use less mouthpiece pressure' - but how to do that?

For me, it means transferring some of the mpc rim pressure off of the upper lip and onto the lower lip by pressing more firmly with the bottom lip and teeth - through the use of jaw muscles to apply FORWARD lower lip/teeth pressure onto the mpc rim.
By slightly reducing the rim pressure on the upper lip, it allows the lip to vibrate and produce a note.

Playing higher notes reliably with good sound and endurance IS NOT done with rim pressure. It's a matter of producing tension in the lip tissue that will vibrate at the desired pitch, making sure the lip is capable of vibrating, and producing enough air power to vibrate the lip.

2) About 'air power' - Your throat has to be open for the air to go through, don't choke it off by tensing your neck . There are lots of words used in an attempt to describe how to blow - such as 'air pressure', 'air flow', 'thick/fat air', 'air speed', etc.
The important part is that an adequate amount of air needs to pass through the lip opening to cause vibrations. Use whatever physical sensations work for you to help start and keep air going through, and vibrating your lip.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me a bad idea to change mouthpieces just to facilitate your upper register. And going to a piece as specialized as the Shew Lead without regard for all the other playing priorities is probably a mistake.

Bottom line is that you're going to have to experiment to see if a piece other than the 7C will give you an overall benefit. You can save money if you have friends with pieces you can try. You can also score many pieces used relatively cheap online. There are stores with return policies that would allow you to try and return what doesn't work out.

Best bet would be to hook up with a teacher who can evaluate your current gear and give you directed recommendations on how to proceed. And if you do try a piece that actually hurts your overall ability a teacher will tell you so, even if you can't tell.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to many of the above comments, there’s this: how much do you practice, and what do you practice? Are you taking private lessons?

There are no mouthpiece related shortcuts, period. It sounds to me as if you’re trying to fix register and endurance problems with a new mouthpiece....not gonna happen. It’s GREAT that you have had a COPD recovery, I would suggest you pair that recovery with lessons and practice.

Best of luck!

Brad
E_Smith

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I read what I wrote, it does seem that I think a mouthpiece will suddenly unlock some hidden potential in me. I realize that's not at all the case. I also realize that I'd be a better and more developed player if I devoted more time to practicing. I guess I'm just wondering about the benefits of using different mouthpieces.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the language in your post, I'm assuming you're a fairly young beginner. Unless your teacher tells you differently, you're much better off just sticking with your mouthpiece and learning to play the darn instrument.

If you can't play a reliable high C, it's not the mouthpiece. It's your technique. A mouthpiece won't help you one bit. If you have good technique, you will be able to play a high C on any mouthpiece anyone hands you, ever.

So: if your teacher recommends a different mouthpiece, use it. But you're much better off not worrying about the gear and just learning to play with a good embouchure.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
Based on the language in your post, I'm assuming you're a fairly young beginner. Unless your teacher tells you differently, you're much better off just sticking with your mouthpiece and learning to play the darn instrument.

If you can't play a reliable high C, it's not the mouthpiece. It's your technique. A mouthpiece won't help you one bit. If you have good technique, you will be able to play a high C on any mouthpiece anyone hands you, ever.

So: if your teacher recommends a different mouthpiece, use it. But you're much better off not worrying about the gear and just learning to play with a good embouchure.

I didn’t get the impression that the OP was a school age beginner, but the above is still valid.

Brad
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

E_Smith wrote:
When I read what I wrote, it does seem that I think a mouthpiece will suddenly unlock some hidden potential in me.

The belief that there is a "miracle" mouthpiece out there that will dramatically unlock existing but suppressed skill is a common misconception. It is an exaggeration that just will not go away.

There is a wide range of mouthpieces that will work for any given player. Yes, you can fine tune some things by changing mouthpiece characteristics but unless the mouthpiece was a drastic mismatch for your personal physiology or was obstructed you are not going to see any dramatic changes in your results based on a mouthpiece change alone. Tiny changes: Maybe. Drastic changes: No chance.

Trumpet is about transferring mechanics/fundamentals from you to the horn. Bad/weak/defective mechanics and fundamentals = bad/weak/defective results. The mouthpiece is not a filter for bad/weak/defective mechanics and fundamentals. To the contrary, the mouthpiece is an amplifier of bad/weak/defective mechanics and fundamentals.

The emphasis on equipment as a means to good results is vastly overstated/overemphasized. A great player will sound great on any decent horn in good working condition playing a wide range of mouthpieces which are within a reasonable range of matching the player's personal physiological characteristics.

It's more a matter of getting used to some mouthpiece within that range than it is a matter of identifying a specific mouthpiece. At some point, if you want consistent results, you have to acclimate yourself to your mouthpiece. In order to do that you have to play it consistently for a reasonable amount of time.

Constantly chasing down the path of changing things just prolongs the process. Doing that can actually make it difficult to accurately identify and isolate what the new mouthpiece is actually going to do for you over the long run.

New mouthpieces frequently have a "honeymoon" period in which they seem to work better for the player but later, after an acclimation period, things sometimes change considerably for the worse, the player concludes the change was ineffective/insufficient/created other issues and the mouthpiece safari continues. This practice is the result of confused thinking: There is no mouthpiece that can overcome bad/weak/defective mechanics/fundamentals in your playing.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a Curry 3C. Still produces a nice tone, and is much easier to play than most 7C sized moutpieces.
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
Try a Curry 3C. Still produces a nice tone, and is much easier to play than most 7C sized moutpieces.

+1
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:

I know that this recommendation is well and honestly meant but I don't think you can generalize like this with the absolute assurance of accuracy. A Curry 3C is easier to play than most 7C sized mouthpieces only for those for whom it's easier to play than most 7C size mouthpieces. That's not necessarily everyone. And even if, in fact, it is the easiest mouthpiece to play in the history of mouthpieces and it works perfectly for everyone it still will not overcome/negate/cure bad/weak/defective mechanics and fundamentals in playing.

Unless the player's equipment is a disaster serious playing problems are not cured or even improved significantly with changing equipment. If the player is playing a decent horn in good working condition and playing a mouthpiece that is within a reasonable range of matching the player's personal physiology then changing equipment will have no significant curative effect for the types of problems reported by the OP.

I wish it were otherwise. It would be great if equipment could produce "magic" results. It would be great if a simple change of equipment could unleash previously smothered talents and abilities. There just is no such thing and the sooner the player accepts this truth the sooner the player can get on to things that really can make a significant difference (developing strong mechanics and fundamentals).
J-Walk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP,

Some good advice here, some not so good. None of us can make a proper suggestion sight unseen. So unless you are already a professional player that can articulate more of the real issues you are encountering on the horn and have a strong self-awareness of your own true abilities...

...you can seek hands on excellent professional instruction, or you can waste energy messing with equipment. If I were you, I would choose the best instruction you can find. That person can make equipment recommendations if needed at this point in your progress.

Some of the ‘tweakers’ online like here at TH are professionals that are already to a point of successfully self-guiding their trumpet playing progress, so they can sift through the good and bad advice offered online more easily; some are well-meaning but don’t even have a handle on their own playing; and then some are pretenders that can’t play. Always know your source before accepting advice.

Good luck in your trumpet journey.
Adams A5
Larson Brasswerks “Reese” Model C
Schilke P5-4 picc
Courtois 154 flugel
A few mouthpieces that fit my face and horns
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
Dale Proctor wrote:

I know that this recommendation is well and honestly meant but I don't think you can generalize like this with the absolute assurance of accuracy. A Curry 3C is easier to play than most 7C sized mouthpieces only for those for whom it's easier to play than most 7C size mouthpieces. That's not necessarily everyone. And even if, in fact, it is the easiest mouthpiece to play in the history of mouthpieces and it works perfectly for everyone it still will not overcome/negate/cure bad/weak/defective mechanics and fundamentals in playing.

Unless the player's equipment is a disaster serious playing problems are not cured or even improved significantly with changing equipment. If the player is playing a decent horn in good working condition and playing a mouthpiece that is within a reasonable range of matching the player's personal physiology then changing equipment will have no significant curative effect for the types of problems reported by the OP.

I wish it were otherwise. It would be great if equipment could produce "magic" results. It would be great if a simple change of equipment could unleash previously smothered talents and abilities. There just is no such thing and the sooner the player accepts this truth the sooner the player can get on to things that really can make a significant difference (developing strong mechanics and fundamentals).

This.
Which is one reason that I avoid making specific mouthpiece recommendations, the exceptions might be students that I work with directly. At least then I have information that’s needed to advise on equipment.

Brad
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
Dale Proctor wrote:

I just told him to try one, not that it would be a magic mouthpiece. Isn't that how you settle on a mouthpiece that works well, by trying different ones out? It's a good, middle of the road mouthpiece that works well for a lot of people, and my suggestion was based on his statement: "I'm wondering if a different mouthpiece could perhaps be less stressful on my chops and perhaps help my high range (a little).". Of course, it may not be the mouthpiece for him, but I feel it was a decent recommendation based on the information given. The Curry 3C. has a very comfortable rim for most people (not sharp like a 7C), and is a little more shallow than a 7C, so it could be a better foundation for the continuation of his development.
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Dale. It would be a very reasonable option to try one and work from there.
It is my belief that there certainly is a mouthpiece that really works for an average player. The trick is having enough experience and skill to understand what you are trying to achieve.
Pros often have an arsenal, but the pieces generally are extremely similar, just having slightly different parameters needed for the job at hand.
Face it, there are some "teachers" out there who aren't really that great who teach wrong ways to play and know little about proper equipment fit.
In the 30 or so mouthpieces have here I have everything from a Schilke 19 to a GR62S. I can "play" any of them, but some work much better than those extremes.
Ever look at the mouthpieces for sale in the marketplace? Many of those for sale are on the extreme orchestral simply because so many think that is their magic piece and most can't handle them.
The mouthpiece I have played for years is a GR e65M. That is roughly the size of of a 7 but with a wider, softer bite rim giving a 3C feel. I do carry 3 other mouthpieces, but they are used only for specific purposes.
R. Tomasek
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw an interesting video by Jason Harrelson, who is a member, about mistakes made in mouthpiece selection.
Agree that there is no magic to unlock playing ability but there are good and bad ones for each of us. The bewildering scope of available mouthpieces tells us that many people are trying to solve problems with mouthpieces. Making sense of it is difficult
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mreb_9bJOc0
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
wkh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This explanation/demonstration about what Jay says might be useful to the OP, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGm1MAT-ttQ&list=PLXilMNxg7MXxK20AOAOF4XNHRD6lnqOp-&index=2&t=0s

2) About 'air power' - Your throat has to be open for the air to go through, don't choke it off by tensing your neck . There are lots of words used in an attempt to describe how to blow - such as 'air pressure', 'air flow', 'thick/fat air', 'air speed', etc.
The important part is that an adequate amount of air needs to pass through the lip opening to cause vibrations. Use whatever physical sensations work for you to help start and keep air going through, and vibrating your lip.

Jay[/quote]
Mike Prestage
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to all the sensible advice above about not making a mouthpiece change at all, and not expecting genuinely useful personal advice on mouthpiece choice over the internet:

I's worth bearing in mind that, for trumpet players in general, the Shew Lead is very unlikely to make sense if they're just looking for a mouthpiece that fits them a bit better than a 7C. It's a pretty specialised design which a great many people would struggle to play at all, and even amongst those who do use it, it would typically only be for high-energy playing e.g. big band lead. If you got good results with it in, say, a concert band, you'd be a real outlier.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: