• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

College Advice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
creed61101

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: College Advice Reply with quote

I'm a senior trumpet player in high school and I've been wondering if I should add any other schools to apply to for trumpet performance. My current list is UNT, Sam Houston, Arizona State, Indiana University Bloomington, Baylor, and University of Houston. If you have any recommendations for schools I should look into, please let me know. Thank you.
creed61101

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to specify, I plan on focusing on classical performance, so a school with a strong classical program would be preferable
jazzhorn04
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend adding Cincinnati Conservatory of Music and Cleveland Institute of Music to your list.
lakejw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzhorn04 wrote:
I would recommend adding Cincinnati Conservatory of Music and Cleveland Institute of Music to your list.

👍👍

johnlakejazz.com
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Juilliard School
Peabody Institute
Manhattan School of Music

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
tyler.slamkowski
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

University of New Mexico w/ John Marchiando.
Lukarino

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a freshman classical performance major at St. Olaf College in Northfield, MN. I went through the process you are going through now, and chose St. Olaf over 2 of the schools on your list, UH and Baylor. UH has great teachers and Baylor is great all around (if you get in, that should prob be the top of your list), but St. Olaf was a better fit for me. The trumpet professor is a fantastic teacher who has had success with his students, and he has one of the best sounds of anybody. The ensembles here are some of the best in the country. The environment is more constructive and welcoming than the other schools I was looking at. UH does not have as strong ensembles or as great an environment, but the teachers are all great players. Olaf is not as competitive as Baylor, but the ensembles are about equal (St. Olaf Orchestra won the American Prize last year) and there are no grad students so you get much more playing time. Also St. Olaf is near the MN Orchestra. and that's my pitch!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they the school that has a wonderful orchestra and choir Christmas concert? It's wonderful. Uff Da!!

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
MarkZ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at schools that offer the best value and mitigate the potential for graduating with crushing debt.

Look at schools where the trumpet studio is reasonably sized. As a freshman or sophomore, you’ll have more opportunities to play in diverse ensembles. My daughter when to a school with 8-12 trumpet players. As a classical trumpet student, she played in symphony, opera, quintets, even jazz orchestra and Latin jazz orchestra. By contrast, there was a time not long ago when Indiana had 60 trumpet performance majors.

Look at schools that provide a music rich environment. See how many visiting artists performed there or in the community in the past year. Does the area have a great orchestra you can hear regularly? Did high caliber artists perform?
Kanstul 1525 flugel
Monette Prana B2S3, B2FL, B2LS3
Monette Prana FLG2
Lukarino

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Are they the school that has a wonderful orchestra and choir Christmas concert? It's wonderful. Uff Da!!

Indeed!
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkZ wrote:
Look at schools that offer the best value and mitigate the potential for graduating with crushing debt.

Look at schools where the trumpet studio is reasonably sized. As a freshman or sophomore, you’ll have more opportunities to play in diverse ensembles. My daughter when to a school with 8-12 trumpet players. As a classical trumpet student, she played in symphony, opera, quintets, even jazz orchestra and Latin jazz orchestra. By contrast, there was a time not long ago when Indiana had 60 trumpet performance majors.

Look at schools that provide a music rich environment. See how many visiting artists performed there or in the community in the past year. Does the area have a great orchestra you can hear regularly? Did high caliber artists perform?

I concur with this post. Debt is a terrible thing, and the reality is that music jobs are very difficult to obtain--not impossible, mind you, but difficult. I know several people with DMAs who are not employed in the field. Some are still in it for the long game while others have changed careers. A DMA is a great thing to have, but crushing debt for a degree, especially one with a low -earning potential, is never a good idea. Don't let your dreams become nightmares! Good luck.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it can be done. I did a work-study program an my undergraduate, living in the dorm, then later combining the G.I. Bill with a graduate assistantshp. In-state tuition. Luckily. I got Texas citizenship and could go to North Texas, first in-state rates, and then when I had a graduate assistantship, tuition was waived. I finished my BM and MM with no debt.

Now DMA was another story. I went to a Private School and it took me about six years to pay that sucker off.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
But it can be done, I did a work-study program an my undergraduate, living in the dorm, then later combining the G.I. Bill with a graduate assistantshp. In-state tuition. I finished my BM and MM with no debt.

Now DMA was another story. It took me about six years to pay that off.

You still did it much more frugally than many of my classmates.
JayV
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you want to play in an orchestra?

Rice
Colburn
Juilliard
Curtis
Yale (grad school only)
Cleveland Institute of Music
New England Conservatory

I've played with a lot of people going in and out of those schools, they seem to be leading the pack right now.

Some others pumping out top trumpet students:

Eastman School of Music
Indiana University
Southern Methodist University
Baldwin Wallace University
St. Olaf College

That said, there are many great teachers all over the country. Going to a great school isn't going to be the most important factor in your long term success. There are many, many people who went to Juilliard, Curtis, Eastman, etc who are grinding it out in difficult and low-paying gigs all over the place. Similarly, there are people who didn't go to prestigious or famous schools who win big jobs. It's all about your level of talent, your willingness to learn, your work ethic, how much pain you can take (grit), and your audition skills.

I agree also with the above posters. DON'T pay a lot for a trumpet degree. Only the biggest jobs in the world pay 6 figures, and there are only a handful of them. It doesn't make sense to go into deep debt for this. You will never make as much as a top lawyer, engineer, consultant, etc no matter how successful you are (excepting Wynton Marsalis level success. If you are Wynton-level, you don't need to go to school at all).
MrClean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayV wrote:
Do you want to play in an orchestra?

Rice
Colburn
Juilliard
Curtis
Yale (grad school only)
Cleveland Institute of Music
New England Conservatory

I've played with a lot of people going in and out of those schools, they seem to be leading the pack right now.

Some others pumping out top trumpet students:

Eastman School of Music
Indiana University
Southern Methodist University
Baldwin Wallace University
St. Olaf College

That said, there are many great teachers all over the country. Going to a great school isn't going to be the most important factor in your long term success. There are many, many people who went to Juilliard, Curtis, Eastman, etc who are grinding it out in difficult and low-paying gigs all over the place. Similarly, there are people who didn't go to prestigious or famous schools who win big jobs. It's all about your level of talent, your willingness to learn, your work ethic, how much pain you can take (grit), and your audition skills.

I agree also with the above posters. DON'T pay a lot for a trumpet degree. Only the biggest jobs in the world pay 6 figures, and there are only a handful of them. It doesn't make sense to go into deep debt for this. You will never make as much as a top lawyer, engineer, consultant, etc no matter how successful you are (excepting Wynton Marsalis level success. If you are Wynton-level, you don't need to go to school at all).

Colburn offers free tuition, room and board to everyone accepted.
RobertCharlton

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cincinnati Conservatory is a great place for you. Education you'll get in places like this is priceless. But there are a lot of great educational institutions out there.

Education is hard. Therefore, for studying at the university, the service https://writix.co.uk/essay-writers-uk will come in handy and will help you cope with challenging tasks. Educational services are what every student need.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: