• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What is the best Trumpet between 1000 and 1500 US Dollar?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tro.sy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject: What is the best Trumpet between 1000 and 1500 US Dollar? Reply with quote

Could you please suggest me some of the best professional trumpets in this price range?
Thank you in advance!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to get you started, when looking for "the best" (which doesn't exist) horn in that price range, I would start by looking used, not retail-new.

BTW, how much playing time do you have and how do you intend to use the horn?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh boy....let me get my popcorn out for this post.
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flip Oakes Fusion Bolt https://flipoakes.com/flip-oakes-fusion-bolt-bb-trumpet/
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Bach 7C mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece
www.jazzscales.org
The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
Surcouf

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The short answer: It Depends.

I suppose the lazy answer to this very broad question might be to simply look for a well-used Bach Stradivarius in good playing condition in that price range...

Without more information I'll make some assumptions and based on my own biases recommend a 1960s Olds Super. I like those.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one that suits you best, possibly a used one. Popcorn is ready
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the best Trumpet between 1000 and 1500 US Dollar Reply with quote

Tro.sy wrote:
Could you please suggest me some of the best professional trumpets in this price range?
Thank you in advance!

All horns are limited by the player in terms of actual results. For most players the capabilities of any decent horn in good working condition will never be reached. So, if you're like most players any decent horn in good working condition will be "better" than you can make it sound. You don't need to spend $1,000 or even close to that to get to that level.
Surcouf

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the best Trumpet between 1000 and 1500 US Dollar Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
All horns are limited by the player in terms of actual results. For most players the capabilities of any decent horn in good working condition will never be reached. So, if you're like most players any decent horn in good working condition will be "better" than you can make it sound. You don't need to spend $1,000 or even close to that to get to that level.

I own a perfectly functional but cosmetically rough 1965 Olds Ambassador cornet I bought on eBay for $50, and I am not embarrassed to say that I will never come close to the limits of that horn. That, of course, doesn't mean I shouldn't be allowed to play something "better", but better horns probably won't sound any better in my hands than that Ambassador.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=112862&s=Getzen-700S-Eterna-II
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! It could be argued that your price range restricts you from buying a new "professional" trumpet, but there may be a few options. If you don't mind buying used and taking the chance that the horn may need repairs and maintenance that will raise the real cost, then the options are pretty much limitless.

New horns at this price are usually (if not always) manufactured in Asia. Some are very good. Others are suspect, as far as sound and build quality go. Even the best from Asia still have not achieved the sound quality of the best American or European made horns, IMO. Either way, you have to take a chance.

That being said, your price range tells me that you are open to taking risks, but your request for a "professional" level horn tells me that you want better results. So, you have to choose. You either need to locate a good repair technician like Osmun Music's James Becker or a really good retailer who markets high quality Asian-built horns.

As Jet Jaguar posted, one of those retailers is Flip Oakes. He has a brand new line of Bb trumpets and Flugelhorn called Fusion. I hope to see and play those horns in December, but I have known Flip personally for more than 10 years now. I know that Flip designs world-class instruments. I also know that Flip will always tell it like he sees it, even if it hurts him. So, his Fusion horns are not said to be up to the level of the Wild Thing line of instruments that Kanstul made for him up until earlier this year.

What he has told me is that the build quality is superb and better than Kanstul's products. Flip's Total Enhancement treatment was born from, umm, unpredictable Kanstul build quality. He has told me a couple of times now that, even though he still goes through each and every instrument he receives, he has yet to have to do anything significant to any of them. You read that right. Still, every horn gets thoroughly checked over inside and out.

Flip's customer service is legendary. It's true that he offers no warranties or returns, due to the logistics of doing business across the Pacific Ocean, but I know Flip enough to believe he will always do more than expected for his customers.

So, if you want a really fine playing and sounding trumpet that offers a mainstream sound with more overall performance capability than the typical 37-style choices, you might consider a new Fusion trumpet. Jet Jaguar's recommendation of the Bolt seems like a good suggestion and it's available now within your price range.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Trumpet Buying FAQ

Q: Do I need to buy a new or different trumpet?
A: No

Q: Is it fun to buy trumpets?
A: Yes, it is a lot of fun to buy trumpets.

Q: Will buying a new trumpet improve my playing?
A: Maybe.

Q: If my new trumpet does not improve my playing, what should I do?
A: You can practice more, but it never hurts to buy another trumpet. (Repeat as necessary.)

I write this having bought three used trumpets in the last few months. One is nickel silver and really does sound a little different, one has a more open leadpipe, which I thought I would love but not actually totally taken with it, and one is lighter weight (it seems to play the easiest). Along the way I inherited three new mouthpieces (Bach 10c, Stomvi 1c, Carol 1 1/2). I will play these for a while and then reevaluate. A lot of us are gearheads and for some small number this is probably why they chose trumpet over, say, oboe or cello.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, forgot to say that in that range the Taiwanese makers (Jupiter, Carolbrass) are excellent. Dillons and ACB are good new around that price. Going with Yamaha/Bach/Getzen used is also a great idea.
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Europe the Schagerl Morrison academica , gold brass bell,sterling silver reverse leadpipe, ml bore.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
JeffM729
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely the best value in a $1000-1500 "professional trumpet" is a used instrument. What would be the best one, depends on the player's needs and skill level.
multiphonic
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.dillonmusic.com/brass/trumpets/bb-trumpets/?limit=100&max=1504&min=996

Worth a visit if you're in the neighborhood and set on spending that much. You can try before you buy to your heart's content. Very easy to visit from NYC via mass transit.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggestion - just browse though the TH Marketplace for Bb Trumpets.

100 Write each down the specs of each horn in your price range on 3x5 cards.
200 Put all cards in box with a lid.
300 Shake box well.
400 Pull out a card and buy the horn.
500 Play for a few months then sell it on TH Marketplace.
600 Goto 100

Pretty much - this describes my behavior.
Shark01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a used Schilke S32HD for around the top of your budget.
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaveTrumpetWillTravel wrote:
My Trumpet Buying FAQ

Q: Do I need to buy a new or different trumpet?
A: No

Q: Is it fun to buy trumpets?
A: Yes, it is a lot of fun to buy trumpets.

Q: Will buying a new trumpet improve my playing?
A: Maybe.

Q: If my new trumpet does not improve my playing, what should I do?
A: You can practice more, but it never hurts to buy another trumpet. (Repeat as necessary.)........

That's hilarious!
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good used Bach or Yamaha pro model.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
trumpetbiker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

student models that are great used at around 200-600, and most will play well enough for professionals to use on gigs include olds and getzen, yamaha, bach mercedes. you c can't go wrong, really.

professional models that are 10-15 yrs old can be had for between 900 -1500 do include yamaha, bach strad, B&S, occassionally a schilke, and they may have quite a bit of wear but also quite a bit of life left in them before a valve job.

older professional instruments could include the olds recording, conn, holton, getzen and other associated models, 1st gen yamahas and orig designed schilkes that may come in around the 1100-1600 range or be talked down/offered/bid low at those amounts.

the hardest to nail down are the older martins and bachs from the 40's-60's, where the price goes up because of cult following or mystique, reputation that follows them. its hit and miss on how well they play, simply because there were dogs and there were gems ----------ebay doesn't allow for finding either, consistently, and you may end up way overpaying based on valves that don't work well, and bells that have red rot or patched/unpatched rips or wear throughs.

I just bought a '72 bach strad lacquer in fantastic shape for 880.00 off ebay, but the 2nd valve will require some $$$ to fix.

buy local off craigslist or take a chance on ebay, eyes wide open even at higher prices (1500.00)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: