• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New double trumpet case turns trumpets black

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nsteinbart

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: New double trumpet case turns trumpets black Reply with quote

My wife and I travel quite a bit and play a lot of trumpet duets together. We recently purchased a Bach double trumpet case that looks like a backpack and also rolls. However, it seems to turn our trumpets black. Has anyone had this happen and know how to prevent it from happening? We both have Bach Stradivarius silver trumpets.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a paper towel or old washcloth/towel and run the inside of the case where the horns sit -- does it come out black? If so, the dye may be bleeding, so a good wipedown and leaving it open in the sun or under a lamp for the dye to cure may help. If it is not the dye directly leaching off the fabric onto the horns, there may be sulfur or other things causing the horns to oxidize (tarnish). Again letting it air out might help, as might some of those little desiccant bags to dry it out.

You could put your horns into anti-tarnish bags (Amazon and most brass shops should have them) and then shove them in the case; that should fix it either way. Over time I would expect the problem to disappear.

HTH - Don
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't aware that Bach made a rolling double. If it's not a Bach but some other supplier than it's anybody's guess what's going on. If the black wipes or washes off then it's probably dye. If it only comes off with a tarnish removing products then it's most likely oxide and something in the case contains sulfur. Either way, it's defective or flawed by design and I wouldn't be inclined to keep such a case.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
nsteinbart

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We tried the anti tarnish bags from WWBW and they still are turning black. The inside of the case is a soft grey. I didn't get anything when I wiped it. We had other cases and they never did this before. Hopefully it'll go away with time.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask the seller? Return and try something else?
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bach does partner with third parties to produce logo marked merchandise ranging from hats & t-shirts to coffee cups & back packs. I am aware of 818H gig bag as well as the single and triple cases with part numbers HLBL1 and HLBL3. The GuitarCenter chain of online stores was selling a "leather-like" double bag, notably listing the manufacturer as just "Bach" not "Vincent Bach", which is no longer available, and which shipped direct from Asia according to their sites. Its part number, 3021, is not a normal Bach accessory part number format.

My guess is the plastics used in the case were made with cheap poorly refined high sulfur petroleum products and are outgassing sulfur compounds that react with the silver, and potentially over time, the solder. I would avoid using it.

Question is, is it a Bach affiliate that made these, or yet another counterfeit? In a world where eBay sells top search placement to the fake Bach sellers, it wouldn't be a shock.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly, I have this same problem with an older Kanstul case that came with my piccolo trumpet. To my surprise, the trumpet tarnishes when in the case. I will try some of these solutions.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
Dink

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely it is a chemical reaction between the plating and the glue used in the case. I know of another manufacturer who had a similar issue a few years back.
Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
LeBlanc Bobby Harriott Model
My. Vernon Bach Mercury Model
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, why mess with all of this? If it were me, I'd just return it to the dealer and get me a new Gard.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Man, why mess with all of this? If it were me, I'd just return it to the dealer and get me a new Gard.

+1. The Gard cases I have are excellent. They are reasonably priced, well made, durable, and offer great protection for your horns.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: