• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The first spit-buzz CD in the world!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the proud owner of the first spit-buzz CD in the world!

It is produced by Bert Lochs in Holland. Bert is a pro. jazz player and he also sent me his latest recording where his quartet play some great jazz. All composed by Bert.

Back to the spit-buzz CD:

I have the "Trumpet Secret" book. The text says: To "spit-buzz", imagine spitting a hair off the top of the tongue but the hair never leaves the tongue.

I have done this almost a year now based on this description. Imagine my surprise when Bert, who learned to spit-buzz from Callet, sent me this CD. First he did some lip-buzz, then he contiued with spit-buzz.
Wow! So loud the spit-buzz was in comparison to lip buzz.
This has helped me get a new and better grasp of it. I now try to do it as loud as Bert.

When walking to job and home (through a forrest), I do this more agressive spit-buzz. The walk take about 20 min. so I get a good workout. After just a few days I now feel improvement on all my horns.

Bert also recorded how he playes the TCE scales and some exercises from "The Balanced Embouchure" book.

I would like to challenge all you TCE guys who really know this stuff:

Make a DVD showing how to do TCE!

I will be the first buyer. From what Bert's CD gave me, I'm convinced that a DVD would help even more.

Ole

[ This Message was edited by: oj on 2003-12-17 04:27 ]
HJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to give a short explanation.

Ole and I had some contact via email and we merely discussed TCE and the relation between BE and TCE. Because I had some first-hand information from Jerome Callet about TCE and spitbuzzing, he thought it would be interesting to have a recording of the sound of the exercises. So first I tried to email it with an attached sound file, but this did not work. I decided to make a CD and sent it to Ole a few weeks ago.

I just want to state that what I recorded is what I understood from the clinic that Callet gave. To me it was very comprehensible. I thought it was a great lesson. I think I know what spitbuzzing means and I sure think I know how it has to sound, but I only had just one lesson, and I do not want other people to get the idea that I know it all, or that I am the guy to show the world how to spitbuzz. For me it was a learning experience and so it was for Ole, and that is all I wanted. So please listen to Kyle and Jerome, as I do for TCE matters, they know much more about it.

On the other hand , I totally agree with Ole that it would be great to have sound and images of people doing the TCE exercises. I don't have the book, but when Jerry says to spit off a hair, I think this is a big understatement. It is more like you want to spit off your lips and still keep them in place. This is how it feels and sounds to me.

Just wanted the rest of you SC-ers and TCE-ers to know.

Bert
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in total agreement with Bert!

My main point was to challenge those teaching TCE, Callet and Civiletti (who made the book) but also Kyle and others.

Perhaps an explanation like: It is more like you want to spit off your lips and still keep them in place. would have helped me and others? What we are after is about sound. A good sound model and visualizing things help more than a text in a book.

Btw, Bert's "sound help" has also given me a better "pop" in my own sound when I do TCE scales.

I plan to see Jerry next year when he comes to Denmark. I will challenge him about a DVD. But perhaps you guys over there, who meet him soon, could do the same?

Ole
jarrelainen
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When is Jerry Callet coming to Denmark?
Sounds interesting!
Lex Grantham
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a little difficult to relate to the spit buzz cd when most of us have not heard it, but it is great to have the opportunity to have something like that for a guide...similar to Jeff Smiley's CD in his Balanced Embouchure book.

Sincerely,

Lex Grantham
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jarrelainen,

Look here:

http://www.artlab.dk/web/indhold/eud/kurser/0427_super.htm

(only in Danish)

Copenhagen: 10/3 + 11/3, 2004, kl. 12-16
Aarhus: 13/3 + 14/3, 2004, kl. 12-16

Ole
germerv

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ole and Bert: Where can I get a copy of the spit buzzing CD?
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

germerv

The CD Bert made was only for me. I don't think he want it spread. It was a great help for me and I'm convinced that if Jerry Callet, Bahb Civiletti, Lee Adams or the moderator here, Kyle made a CD with this stuff, it would be of even greater help.

If you read my interview with Callet, he say that there are only a few capable of teaching TCE. This is the people who should make such a record - a CD with spit-buzz, sharp attack scales, etc.

Ole
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: