• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

John Packer cornet.trumpets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: John Packer cornet.trumpets Reply with quote

Hello all,
Just picked up a used John Packer 171 SWS today, used. Horn was bought three years ago new and barely played. The finish really looks nice, as do the valves. little wear. The only wear from used is a little discoloration on the first, inner slide, which really looks like plating loss or a slight chemical reaction. I used ot work in a music store and the plating on Eastman trumpets seemed thin. The JP horn looks like the plating is much better quality. What can I expect over time with this cornet? Also, pretty sure it is made in China or Taiwan, just because of the price point. Any info out there???
Bwat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve got the silver 271, basically your’s but with triggers. I bought it secondhand just to get my hands on a cornet. My third valve can get sluggish on low notes after a while’s playing but it returns to normal after a good blow-out. That’s the only negative and it may very well be down to the previous owner’s abuse, my choice of oil, or my way of playing. The case is big enough to get everything I need in it (instrument, silent brass, cables, ipad, method book, etc.) and it fits in the pram’s under carriage.

I’ve had it a couple of years now and I would call it my best value for money instrument purchase. They’re underpriced cornets IMHO.
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JP instruments are made in the Far East, but the factory was visited to check on the manufacturing standards met their requirements. The specs were to JP designs. JP is a physical store in the UK where they stock and sell a variety of instruments from student models to top of the range makers. A friend of mine was given the task of buying a new cornet for them to use in a Brass Band. They were told money was no object. After trying everything in the store she finally picked a JP as her preferred choice. Still playing it several years later.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
multiphonic
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a JP 159 pocket trumpet that I like. Fit is very good, but there are some finish issues. It plays pretty well, is comfortable to hold and I could recommend it as a spare or vacation horn. It sounds like a decent student horn. Not bad, but nothing special. The only nitpick is that the valves get stuck if the horn is stored for more than a few days. They can be freed once oiled from below, but it's a bit of a pain. I'm assuming that they weren't lapped properly. Perhaps they'll wear in over time.

I had a JP Rath 236 alto trombone that was an outstanding instrument.

Last edited by multiphonic on Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not have any mechanical problems but I, on the other hand, found its grip to be a little awkward for me. I got it to use in a BBB and it was perfect. There are better cornets out there but they are at a much larger price tag.

I guess one real unintended insult, sometimes, is to say that a certain horn is good for the money. You could say this about that but, really, it's good on it's own accord.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had several experiences with their trombones - not good. Allied Supply has taken on some parts inventory for this Chinese brand. This is a good development, I suppose, because when I needed a trombone part, the office (it's NOT the factory) in England said the part would come from China and take a long time in doing so.
https://yourbrass.com/
Bwat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yourbrass wrote:
... this Chinese brand.

Eh, no. Looks like it has been English from the get go:

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/02964334
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bwat wrote:
yourbrass wrote:
... this Chinese brand.

The company is English, with a bricks and mortar store, but their own brand instruments are made in the Far East.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
Bwat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rapier232 wrote:
Bwat wrote:
yourbrass wrote:
... this Chinese brand.

The company is English, with a bricks and mortar store, but their own brand instruments are made in the Far East.

Eh, not sure why you’ve quoted me here. Just for the record I’ve not made any claims whatsoever about the location of manufacture. I’ve merely provided possible evidence to counter the claim that it’s a Chinese brand.
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The JP Instruments are made in China but to the specifications set by John Packer Ltd. The designs are also not standard Chinese designs. The 271SW cornet was designed by Richard Smith - specifically the lead pipe. Its a great cornet for the price. They also make a JP by Taylor which utilises some parts made by Andy Taylor. Its not a standard stencil operation.

One of the other difference with Chinese brands is the cases, which are of far better quality.

I see loads of kids carrying these instruments to school for lessons. They are not the cheapest, but they are of good quality.

On the plating - the Eastman instruments don't seem to be hardened silver plate. I have a JP171 Eb trumpet which seems to be a rebranded Eastman and the plating is as the poster in this thread described. The current JP instruments have much better palting. Their Eb trumpet was designed by Richard Smith.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bwat wrote:
Rapier232 wrote:
Bwat wrote:
yourbrass wrote:
... this Chinese brand.

Eh, not sure why you’ve quoted me here. Just for the record I’ve not made any claims whatsoever about the location of manufacture. I’ve merely provided possible evidence to counter the claim that it’s a Chinese brand.

I quoted you to confirm that the instruments ARE made in the Far East For an English company. As I’d already posted.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
Bwat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rapier232 wrote:
Bwat wrote:
Rapier232 wrote:
Bwat wrote:
yourbrass wrote:
... this Chinese brand.

I quoted you to confirm that the instruments ARE made in the Far East For an English company. As I’d already posted.

Again, what’s that got to do with me or what I wrote? You’ve got me baffled here
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject: John Packer cornet.trumpets Reply with quote

Hello all,
Thanks for all the input. I believe I got the info I needed. The TH is truly a great site and the combined knowledge of everyone is immense. Have a great weekend everyone!
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bwat wrote:
Rapier232 wrote:
Bwat wrote:
yourbrass wrote:
... this Chinese brand.

--------------------------------------------
Because the fact that the specific 'brand' is not Chinese, may cause some people to think that the instruments being sold under that brand are made in the same home country as the brand.

It's merely a clarification of RAPIER232's view, and reference to your post which RAPIER232 thought alluded that the horns might be built in the country of the brand name.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Bwat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
Bwat wrote:
Rapier232 wrote:
Bwat wrote:
yourbrass wrote:
... this Chinese brand.

--------------------------------------------
Because the fact that the specific 'brand' is not Chinese, may cause some people to think that the instruments being sold under that brand are made in the same home country as the brand.

It's merely a clarification of RAPIER232's view, and reference to your post which RAPIER232 thought alluded that the horns might be built in the country of the brand name.

Jay

This is now well off topic so I'll just say, and I mean this is the most respectful way possible, that some people need to work on their reading comprehension.

Look, I avoided all talk of place of manufacture. I don't want people putting words in my mouth, or misinterpreting me with regards to this topic. I chose my word carefully and stuck to that I could provide evidence for. I don't want to get into politics but we all know there are people who boycott Chinese made goods for various reasons. When it comes to discussions about where stuff is made, I make sure I'm not making claims I can't back up (not saying people who have made claims in this thread have no evidence!). I don't want somebody being made redundant because of some false info on the net I'm responsible for.
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I was referring to in my post was two Packer F-attachment tenor trombones that have come through the shop. These are not cheap instruments, one customer told me the cost was $1,700.00 US.

They are typical of mainland Chinese manufacture in that what you don't know or see will do you. They look good, they play good , and when you take them onto the field to march and have an impact, they bend.

Both of these horns had a bent center bell brace, caused by a softening of the metal in hard soldering a trigger mount. This is a defect that reflects a lack of knowledge in manufacture.

The day will come when they work out all these things, and make them as well as they were made in the past.
https://yourbrass.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: